Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 10:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Cancer diet book author must remove claims from website

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
5 May, 2017

Cancer diet book author must remove claims from website

An advertising watchdog has upheld a complaint against two websites run by a nutritional therapist that offered advice on a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet for cancer patients.

The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) ordered Patricia Daly, who wrote The Ketogenic Kitchen with Domini Kemp, the restaurateur, to remove claims over the efficacy of the diet in relation to cancer until she had appropriate evidence to substantiate the claim.

The ruling followed a complaint brought by the Irish Nutrition and Dietetic Institute (INDI), supported by the Irish Cancer Society, about www.patriciadaly.com and www.ketoforyou, which are run by Ms Daly.

The ASAI said that the content relating to the ketogenic regime, which advocates a high-fat, adequate protein and low-carbohydrate diet, was “likely to mislead consumers and vulnerable cancer patients in particular”. The advertising regulator also said that it had not seen any evidence that Ms Daly’s qualifications were regulated by a statutory body recognised by the Irish state.

Jennifer Feighan, the INDI chief executive, said that the institute, which is the only professional body for registered dieticians in Ireland, made the complaint to protect patients.

“The claims made for the ketogenic diet and its benefits to people with cancer are misleading and unsubstantiated. In this case they have also been made by a person who is not suitably qualified to offer dietary advice to people affected by cancer,” Ms Feighan said.

Robert O’Connor, head of research at the Irish Cancer Society, expressed concern over “a growing tide” of unqualified individuals who promoted advice on diet and medicine that were not backed up by evidence.

“At best they can be a costly distraction, at worst they have the potential to do huge harm to the most vulnerable in our community,” Dr O’Connor said.

“We urge those who have concerns about diet and cancer to speak to their doctor or to a qualified medical professional and not to be taken in by unsubstantiated lifestyle advice from websites or media.

“The evaluation group report for the 2006 National Cancer Strategy recommended greater investment in the provision of qualified professionals, including dieticians, working as part of multi-disciplinary teams focused on overall best patient outcome. Today’s ruling demonstrates the urgent need for such investment.”

Last May The Times reported that Ms Daly trained and lectured at the privately owned, Bray-based Irish Institute of Nutrition and Health (IINH). It said at the time that its programmes had been “rigorously inspected, audited and approved by” Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), the state body to which private providers can apply to have their programmes validated. QQI, however, said that this was incorrect and that the IINH was not then offering programmes leading to awards it recognised.

On one of Ms Daly’s websites she said: “I have a problem, for instance, when health practitioners or doctors state that they didn’t take a specific therapy into consideration because they’re waiting for the randomised placebo-controlled trials to advise clients.” She added that there were various reasons she felt “uncomfortable with this 100 per cent evidence-based approach”.

In its ruling the ASAI said that it was “concerned by the absence of appropriate levels of authoritative, recognised and compelling research on human clinical trials. In addition, the advertiser, while providing a range of information, had not, as requested, demonstrated how the material submitted supported the advertising claims made”. It instructed Ms Daly not to offer any advice or treatment for serious conditions without holding an appropriate qualification.

The INDI submission was made with the support of several experts in the area of oncology, medicine and nutrition. They included Graham Love, chief executive of the Health Research Board at the time; Derek Power, a consultant oncologist at Mercy University Hospital, Cork and Gerard Crotty, a consultant haematologist at the Midland Regional Hospital, Tullamore.

Ms Daly told the ASAI that her websites were aimed at audiences abroad and that 80 per cent of users were outside Ireland. She charges in US dollars for her online services. The Ketogenic Kitchen was published by Chelsea Green in Vermont in the US last autumn.

Margo Baldwin, president and co-founder of Chelsea Green, said: “I think this is ridiculous. The leading-edge science is showing the promise of ketogenic diets in the treatment of cancer and many other serious diseases and there are many many books out now that say the same thing by very respected doctors and other health practitioners here in the US and in the UK.”

Attempts to reach Ms Daly for a comment yesterday were unsuccessful.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...bsite-ft5wbdlfh
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 11:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here we go again . . . Since success factors for traditional treatments are 100% backed by evidence (not), why has the keto approach become a lightning rod in this case? Perhaps that it's not embraced by physicians and doesn't solely depend on the involvement of pharma or toxic chemicals. Why, the nerve! What a world, what a world!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 11:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Although it is couched in terms that suggest that patients are being protected, it is in fact just another attempt to protect the power of dieticians and other entrenched professionals. Just like with Tim Noakes where there was never any evidence of any harm done, and Gary Fettke where he is accused of inappropriately reversing someone's type 2 diabetes. this is another instance where no harm could ever be proven but it goes against the powers that be so must be stopped.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 13:29

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.indi.ie/news/957-ketogenic-diet.html

Write up on this at INDI.

Also, the 9 worst myths of nutrition is good for a wince.

https://www.indi.ie/news/741-the-9-...f-all-time.html

Quote:
Myth 4: Will eating sugar make my cancer worse?

False: No. Although research has shown that cancer cells consume more sugar than normal cells, no studies have shown that eating sugar will make your cancer worse or that, if you stop eating sugar, your cancer will shrink or disappear. However, a high-sugar diet may contribute to excess weight gain, and obesity is associated with an increased risk of developing several types of cancer.

Total hypocrisy here. They say flat out no, they're just plain lying in claiming to know. I don't care what degree the person writing this has, they're up against the same thing Daly is--the definitive I can have candy? cancer study hasn't been done. Imagine even trying to get that past a review board. You want to feed people extra candy and see if it accelerates their cancer growth? This isn't about evidence based medicine, it's about protecting their racket.

Myth number one is another good one;

Quote:
Myth 1: People with diabetes cannot have sweets and sugary foods on occasion.

False: People with diabetes can have sweets and sugary food in moderation like the rest of the population. However people with diabetes need to be careful about the quality and quantity of carbohydrates foods including sugar that they eat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 13:39

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
The Ketogenic Kitchen

Domini Kemp and Patricia Daly, who have both recently come through cancer, have discovered a life-changing way of eating.

In The Ketogenic Kitchen they share with you exciting nutritional developments, which reveal that a diet low in carbohydrates and high in fat, in conjunction with the treatment recommended by medical professionals, offers new hope in the support of and protection against many chronic illnesses.

Whether you are facing treatment, going through recovery or simply want to choose food that can keep you in long-term optimal health, The Ketogenic Kitchen offers advice and delicious recipes that will aid weight loss and leave you with higher energy levels and glowing good health.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ketogenic-.../dp/071716926X/

#6   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 14:48

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks for posting this Demi!

I have read a lot about this in Banting's writings and it shows some very interesting benefits.
Sadly I tried to refer this to someone with a family member who was newly diagnosed and they almost bit my head off. For some reason Chemo and or radiation alone has been so ingrained in us as the only way. Last year I was diagnosed with a spot of inflammation in my Colon which was sending my entire body into a stealth attack against my own immune system. As in, it went into overdrive... After biopsy I learned that it wasn't cancer, not now.
I truly believe that if I had not been on low carb and moderately high fat that it really would have been cancerous...

Banting was a very smart man.
http://www.bantingdiet.org/

I also just found their book on US Amazon.
Do you know if the measurements are in Metric or US measurments?

I just answered my own question:
"This North American paperback edition has been updated to include U.S. customary units of measure appearing side-by-side with metric measures."

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...togenic+Kitchen

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, May-05-17 at 15:03.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 18:58

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Speaking of biopsy, I don't know if we've discussed this topic before, but a biopsy runs the risk of spreading cancer by metastasis due to the fact that if the mass if cancerous and if it's contained within a sort of sealed tissue, a biopsy inevitably breaks this envelope thereby allowing whatever's inside to escape and reach other tissues.

With the DNA theory of cancer, that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. A knee cell couldn't transform into an elbow cell, or a lung cell couldn't transform into a brain cell, and so forth. Therefore, a new theory must be devised to explain this risk in a plausible manner. I have my own theory on that. Cancer isn't strictly a DNA disruption, it's some other disorder. So, what's the cause? Virus can disrupt DNA for its own purpose, that's one plausible cause. If that's how it works for this particular cancer, and if this mass is sealed, a biopsy will allow this virus to escape and disrupt other tissues in the same manner.

Either way, the risk is real and should be considered seriously before making a decision on biopsy. It's a similar principle as for colon cancer screening tests (with the big giant tube camera thingy) where the test itself can trigger an otherwise benign mass to become more active and virulent and then require aggressive treatment. That's a perfectly good idea if we're the ones making a buck on those ludicrously ridiculously ridiculous treatments, let alone the test itself.

From there, regardless of how we see the above, if we're doing low-carb, at least we mitigated the various risks by modifying the internal environment so that it's much less hospitable to cancer growth, i.e. less glucose, more ketones, but most importantly less insulin. I mean, even we have exactly zero diet-cancer data of any kind, we have ample diet-health data that says low-carb returns us to good health in myriad ways, therefore any disorder including cancer should be made less severe by extension.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-05-17, 20:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Speaking of biopsy, I don't know if we've discussed this topic before, but a biopsy runs the risk of spreading cancer by metastasis due to the fact that if the mass if cancerous and if it's contained within a sort of sealed tissue, a biopsy inevitably breaks this envelope thereby allowing whatever's inside to escape and reach other tissues.

Absolutely agree with everything you said!

Quote:
Either way, the risk is real and should be considered seriously before making a decision on biopsy. It's a similar principle as for colon cancer screening tests (with the big giant tube camera thingy) where the test itself can trigger an otherwise benign mass to become more active and virulent and then require aggressive treatment. That's a perfectly good idea if we're the ones making a buck on those ludicrously ridiculously ridiculous treatments, let alone the test itself.

Agree again but unfortunately as sick as I was, after getting a little better, I decided to weigh the risks and do the test and while they were there they took 3 biopsies to see what it was.
It turned out to look like cancer as far as identical cells duplicated in a small area but cancer was Neg which I do believe is as a result of low carb for almost 2+ years prior to that.

Funny though about eating fat to help starve cancer, it was like my body knew what I needed and I began craving lots of coconut oil in my coffee (which I never really added before) and while I couldn't eat much else, I lived on boiled whole chicken...fat and all, eggs and bacon for months on end. Just the thought of any high fiber veggies as well as most any other food was totally out.

You're totally right that Low-carb does help us in a Myriad of ways..
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
inappropriately reversing someone's type 2 diabetes

So this is against the law now?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 05:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Well, this is distressing news. Another good keto/cancer resource, who like Dr. Fettke, I use for cancer/diet information, but now this negative article will top any search on her name. I follow Dr. Champ’s cautions about not claiming miracles about the keto diet http://www.myhealthwire.com/news/breakthroughs/856 and always thought her writing has had sufficient warnings. However, there is a thin line between Carbohydrate Restriction diets and equating it with non-scientific diets such as the Breuss cure.

Just this month Dr. Champ and others published a response to a very critical review of ketogenic diets. For Dietitians or Researchers, it will be a long road to acceptance as even an adjuvant treatment:

"Need for new review of article on ketogenic dietary regimes for cancer patients"

Rainer J. Klement, Richard D. Feinman,
Elena C. Gross, Colin E. Champ,
Dominic P. D’Agostino, Eugene J. Fine,
Ulrike Kämmerer, et al. in Medical Oncology, May 2017

“ To the editor,
In a recent article entitled ‘‘Systematic review: isocaloric
ketogenic dietary regimes for cancer patients’’ [1],
Erickson et al. provide their summary of the use of ketogenic
diets for treating cancer patients. As active
researchers in this field, we find the Erickson paper to be
inaccurate in its characterization of ketogenic diets. The
writing is highly biased and contains a significant number
of errors, some of an elementary nature. The overall tenor
of the paper, rather than that of a balanced review, gives
the impression of established experts warning patients
about the risks of a new method. In fact, Dr. Erickson and
co-authors are not acknowledged experts and, as far as we
know, have no record of clinical or research experience in
this area. We detail below the paper’s faults and suggest
the positive side of the issue which we feel remains
ignored. We think that the pertinent subject matter was not
considered in the manuscript. In essence, failure to address
these questions means that the paper could not have
received adequate peer review. We suggest that some form
of re-review of the paper be instituted. As it stands,
Erickson et al. are likely to be misleading to patients and
practitioners alike. ...

Back to Patricia Daly’s book, there are other cancer diet books I was using before her Keto Kitchen was published in the US. Ellen Davis’s book, based on Dr. Seyfried’s work, is highly recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Fight-Cancer.../dp/1943721033/

Miriam Kalamian has an e-book as well as the Basics of a Keto Diet for Cancer on her website. http://www.dietarytherapies.com/faqs22.html This diet or list of keto foods is the same diet provided in print in the appendix of Travis Christoferson’s book, Tripping over the Truth. There are over 100 hospitals in the US offering a Keto Diet clinic (for epilepsy but extensions to other diseases are on the rise)

Dr. Champ gave a new lecture April 27, waiting for it to be published on TheIHMC YouTube channel:
"Cancer Prevention Through Diet - Tangible Takeaways” https://www.ihmc.us/lectures/20170427/

His previous lecture that is available was “Augmenting Cancer Therapy with Diet: Have We Found a Sweet Spot?” http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2014/1...e-florida-ihmc/

Edit: The more I read this though, the instructions are to change the wording on her website, as the charge was brought by an Advertising Review Board. There is nothing like Dr. Fettke's instructions to stop talking to patients about nutrition, or stop giving talks at Keto conferences, selling the e-book, or printing the book in the US.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, May-07-17 at 03:57.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 06:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

This discussion really hits home for me right now. Less than 2 weeks ago my granddaughter was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, an aggressive bone cancer. I have written about it in my journal. She has already had surgery to remove a tumor on her spine and she is starting chemotherapy this Monday. Her treatment will consist of in hospital chemotherapy sessions every 3 weeks for 12 months. I introduced the idea of low carb eating for cancer to my son as something to potentially augment treatment, but I did it very off hand so as not to anger him. He is very "scientific" minded, nothing but evidence based for him and of course he is overwhelmed with this new reality effecting his daughter. I am just barely keeping grief and fear at bay. I wish I could take charge of her diet but I am just a sideline grandma but I'm ready in case the minds of those directly caring for her (father, mother, stepmother) should seem able to listen. I hate when nutritional politics interferes with real scientific possibility.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 08:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I am sorry to hear of such a distressing situation, Jean. We have a close friend dealing with such, but he is an adult and open to the resources I sent him on diet.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-06-17, 08:57

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

On the topic of ketogenic diet and cancer, specifically for the focus which seems to be on glucose rather than anything else, whether it's by proponents or opponents. I'd like to shift this focus to a much more pertinent aspect instead.

A while ago, Feinman did a pilot experiment with a ketogenic diet and cancer. The premise was insulin signaling inhibition. No consideration for glucose downstream. I believe this is the more appropriate focus.

To illustrate, a very similar parallel - growth hormone disorders, specifically excess growth hormone. Without knowing the cause, let's look at the treatments. Let's say we believe growth is a function of energy, the obvious solution is to restrict energy for this growth. Would that work? No. Energy is not the cause of growth, though energy is used to realize this growth. The cause of growth is growth hormone. The only effective treatment for excess growth hormone is to restrict growth hormone directly through some means. From there, independently of energy intake or quality (i.e. fat or glucose or whatever), excess growth ceases because the cause has been treated.

With cancer, just like with growth hormone disorders, the cause is not [excess] energy - glucose in this case - it's another hormone, insulin. Cancer grows because of excess insulin. We call this hyperinsulinemia. We create hyperinsulinemia primarily with an on-going high-carb diet. It follows therefore that a low-carb diet would mitigate the creation of hyperinsulinemia, thus treating the cause of cancer growth.

The fact that the treatment itself focuses on carbs (and glucose) leads to confusion, and also allows strawman discussion and obfuscation whether intentional or not. It doesn't help that there was an expert - Warburg - who developed a theory blaming glucose directly. But it's easy to dismantle this strawman. The methods used to discover the apparent culprit only looked at glucose, nothing else. Let's do an experiment with insulin only, then see if the Warburg effect appears anyways. I bet it will, it's inevitable in my opinion, just like growth is inevitable with excess growth hormone.

Feinman is on the right track.

p.s. I'm making the same basic argument Taubes often makes to illustrate the cause of excess fat accumulation, i.e. excess calories vs excess insulin.

p.p.s. The discussion of Feinman's pilot experiment: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=447278

Last edited by M Levac : Sat, May-06-17 at 09:06.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-08-17, 04:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ivor Cummins writes: "Irish Advertising Standards Agency leverages their incredible metabolic science knowledge and weighs in - with clueless attack on healthy eating patterns?"
http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2...ertising-people