Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 13:23

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Hello SB-er's.

I just wanted to bump this back up as I think its important to share with each other.

I've been struggling with moving ahead with my weight loss. I did really good in the beginning I think in part because hubby was doing it with me. He made it to his goal in 6 months then lost a bit more by 8 months. He has maintained for 3 years now.

But I had lost my way. I do ok maintaining, but needed to get back to loosing.

So I'm making 1 change at a time to get back on track. I did in the beginning and it worked then. Its doesn't seem so hard by changing 1 thing. So my first change is to get my eating back on plan. For me I have to be really accurate with my portions. Everything adds up so fast. So its back to measuring, cutting out high calorie treats. While legal I know my body just won't loose if I contuine eating the higher fat/higher calorie foods.
SF jello is my new best friend-ly snack.

My next step will be exercising again. So I'm hoping in a couple weeks to moving onto that.

I just wanted to share this with my SB friends. Just so you all know its not magic getting to goal. Its hard work. You only get out what you put in. No one can do it for you. Yes be selfish. Its ok. Try not put a time limit in reaching your goal. But try to do the best you can each day.

You're worth it.....So keep at it.....You'll get there.

I'm a work in process.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 13:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Good skippie!! I'm doing it with you now.....
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 15:15
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Skippie, that was superthoughtful and motivating! Thank you!

I wonder if it would be helpful for us to set some goals...non-numeric ones, but SB-related ones.

Here's mine. This spring I would like to learn how to do Pilates and also commit to trying 4 new SB recipes per month (1x week).

Anyone else have any Beach Babe Goals for Spring 08?????

Last edited by sassafras : Mon, Mar-03-08 at 15:20.
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 17:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'd like to get back to exercising 3-4x a week. Every week. For me it is a fact that I feel better across the board when I get regular exercise. Besides, defined muscles look awesome on a woman.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 13:32

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

My goal is to kick up the exercise another notch. I was already walking 5 times per week, then in January I started Tai Chi and will move to the continuing class in a month, so that will be at least 3 hours per week. I am going to start taking my dogs to the dog park and get in another few walks per week....however that will be when the snow melts!

I also know that I need to drink more water and most days that is something that just goes by the wayside for me. I have to make a more conscious effort to do that.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I joined a gym about a month ago, and did GREAT the first week....haha, uh I really need to make a habit of going at LEAST 3 times a week---I too, notice that i feel more energetic and my muscles feel better and more defined when I am exercising regularly, plus I know I will see better weight loss results if I am more vigilant about working out.

I also noticed that the gym offers yoga classes every Saturday morning, and I have always wanted to try yoga, so as soon as my puppy training classes are over (March 22). I want to try that out finally
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 10:40
one day at a time

BF:

Breaking News: Looks like Dr. A is adding an exercise DVD to accompany the new book.

Interesting...
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 09:42

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to share my good news. I made it back......
I'M IN ONE-DER-LAND AGAIN!!!!!! 198.5

I was 199 yesterday but didn't want to post. Afraid it wouldn't be there this morning as we ate out last nite. But it was even better than yesterday.

You know it works if you do by the book.

I just wanted to share my good news with everyone.
I wish you all success too. And Thank you soooo very much for the support. I wouldn't be here without all of you. Love You All.
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 11:15
one day at a time

BF:

Skippie, you rock!!!!! And you deserve the joy--you've worked really hard! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #130   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 08:20
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 175/165/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

congratulations skippie!!
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 17:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi,

I'm so happy to have found you all. I'm new to South Beach but not to dieting. I did Atkins in 2003 when I was about to turn 50 and was determined to do something about the way I looked. Well, I lost 25 pounds, but you probably can guess how it's been since then. I went back to work full time and things just got out of control. Now I want to mend my wicked wicked ways, but I want to take a healthier, more balanced approach. That's why I chose South Beach. And reading through the posts has really given me so much inspiration. I'm so humbled by the struggles we share. I keep telling myself I'm stronger than the food - but too often the food wins out.

I'm just about to start on my second week of P1. I'm taking Judy's advice and moving on to P2 when this is over. I'm going to do this right! I'm turning 55 in October and I don't see any reason why I can't give myself a wonderful birthday present - feeling and looking my best. Who says it has to be all over when you're over 50? Damn!

So I'm going to be coming to you for advice and support, for wisdom and a lot of laughs.

Thanks for sharing.

Isa
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 08:59
Attitude is a Choice

Welcome to the beach, Isa!!
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 10:00
one day at a time

BF:

This is from the Daily Dish, and I thought it might be interesting to some of us.

Quote:
4 Ways to Push Past a Plateau
While it may be frustrating to reach a plateau in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet, it's not uncommon, especially as you get closer to your target weight. Weight loss in this Phase of the South Beach Diet is much slower than in Phase 1, but that's the intention, which, it turns out, is preferable in the long run because slow and steady weight loss is best for long-term success. That said, if you'd like to jump-start your weight loss, here are some strategies to try.

Try eating different foods. Sometimes people get into a food rut, eating the same things day in and day out, which may lead to overeating as a result of feeling unsatisfied with your routine. Add more variety and different veggies to your meal plan to combat boredom. This may be just what you need to get over a weight-loss slump.

Get adequate exercise. Plateauing may result from losing too much muscle mass (as well as fat). Begin a fitness program or, if you already exercise, take it up a notch by increasing the intensity and/or length of your workouts. Dr. Agatston recommends maintaining muscle mass with core exercises, which target your abdomen, lower back, pelvis, and hips. These strengthening moves help keep you free of injuries, so you can enjoy staying active throughout your life.

Keep track of what you eat. In general, the South Beach Diet does not require you to count calories or portion sizes. That said, you may be eating too much of certain foods to keep losing weight at the same pace. Take a close look at the amount of low-fat cheese and nuts you're consuming, and cut back on these items if you're eating too much.

Return to Phase 1. If you have plateaued for several weeks and still have a fair amount of weight to lose, return to Phase 1 for a kick start.

Hi Isa! Is that your picture? I can't believe you're turning 55 soon...you look like you're 20-something!
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 10:56
Attitude is a Choice

Good Daily Dish Sass!!

Thanks for posting it.
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-08, 11:18
Attitude is a Choice

SBD-Daily Dish
Quote:
8 Time-Saving Tips
Sometimes, finding the time to prepare and eat healthy meals seems like a challenge. But eating regular, nutrient-dense and fiber-rich meals, like those recommended on the South Beach Diet, satisfy your appetite, boost your health, and help you manage your weight, so there are better reasons than ever to spend more time in the kitchen. For those still daunted by the idea of preparing healthy foods, here are eight simple time-saving ways to get started on a new you:

1-Always keep a bag of prewashed salad greens on hand.
2-Cook up big meals once a week, and save the leftovers in single-size containers in the freezer.
3-Buy easy foods, like canned light tuna, low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt, or ready-made hummus.
4-Chop fruits and veggies once a week and keep them in the fridge.
5-Have a bag of nuts or some string cheese available for "on-the-go" days.
6-When you go out to eat, take half your meal home to eat the next day.
7-Find a healthy-food buddy, like your spouse or even a co-worker. Not only will it help you stay on track, but you can each make some of the week's meals and then share!
8-And one bonus exercise tip: If you can't fit in a trip to the gym, get up from your desk during your lunch break and take a 30-minute walk.

I use all of the tips!!