Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 09:54

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
Quote:
1. That if insulin stays high, fat isn't released. Hence, it's not merely that one is storing fat thanks to over-insulin, but also that fat is not able to be utilized for basic energy the body needs. Side effects being reduced activity (less energy for it) and yet-more-eating (trying to get energy). Or in short, "overeating and laziness" becoming a RESULT of body processing rather than a cause. (Even if it began as a cause, the body reacting like that eventually would make it a result eventually too.)

It explains why people I know who can eat damn near anything are such energetic people. Their food gives them energy, while some other peoples' food mostly just stores as fat and then the body refuses to let them have that energy so they sit around exhausted and eat more trying to get that energy. I found that nothing short of mindblowing and had to just stop and think about that for awhile, several times.To me it was a radical, 100% reversal in how I thought about things.
Well, this is indeed one of the things that I (and many other lowcarbers like me including Mike Eades) think Gary has got completely wrong.
Stuart, I would like to reference your source for this comment, Re: Mike Eades, to a friend that is a stickler for detail. I have no reason to disagree with you but my/your saying Dr. Eades “thinks Gary Taubes got it wrong” will not fly with him unless I can point him to a web page/post/blog entry where Dr. Mike has made such a statement.

Thanks for your help,
Larry
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 12:12

Plan: Just no carbs
Stats: 149.6/149.4/128 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 1%

Here's a question.

Before I begin, let me say that imho, the main goal is weight maintenance at a reasonable level for an individual. Losing weight, followed by gaining it all back is frustrating at best and inimical for health at worst.

The "traditional" method for losing weight is to go hungry. It occurs to me to wonder if this may not be actually detrimental for long term weight loss/maintenance? In other words, will experincing persistent hunger tend to produce long term weight gain (not loss) given an abundance of food available?

I can imagine 2 ways this could happen. One is that appetite (hunger) could be upregulated, the other is that activity could be downregulated.

I'm not, btw, talking about eating less because one is less hungry or about "metabolic advantage". I'm specifically talking about eating a small enough amount of food to produce noticeable hunger on a consistent basis. Hunger is a biochemical state after all, in which the body is sending a signal. What happens if one deliberately ignores that signal?

Does anyone have ideas, comments, research, personal experience, etc about this?

Beth
  #153   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 13:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's kind of what a lot of the book good calories/bad calories is about, well the chapters on obesity. Semi-starvation diets don't work in the long term because we're not meant to starve. That's why low carb works, it isn't a starvation diet and you don't feel hungry.
  #154   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 13:40
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

If the Minnesota Starvation study and others are any indication, deliberately ignoring that hunger will tend to cause rebound hunger at a later date and the regain of lost weight plus more. Many of the people "starved" in the studies later gained back all the weight, plus more after the study ended. Sort of explains yo-yo dieting, doesn't it?
  #155   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 15:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Induction flu is caused by switching from primarily glucose burning to primarily fat burning. You don't have the enzymes to do it when you first start out, or enough of them, so while your body is changing over the production line you feel like crap. I also think plunging your body into a much higher fat consumption immediately also makes some people feel crappy. I know it did me.

I think ketogenic diets do a few nifty things that lend themselves to weight loss and health:

1) They keep insulin stable which keeps you from being ravenously hungry like on a semi-starvation diet (aka low calorie diet).

2) They keep your blood sugar low which also helps appetite and health in general.

3) Ketosis has a metabolic advantage in at least some people.

4) The brain likes ketones and can function better with them.

5) Long term insulin and blood sugar issues in the brain (as well as the rest of the body) spell disaster and disease in the future and present.

I think you can simulate a lot of the results of low carb by adopting a higher carb Calorie Restricted diet but yuck! Who wants to experience what Key's Minnesota starvation experiment found on a high carb semi-starvation diet when you can achieve all the same without the discomfort.

Yes, (FWIW) I completely agree Nancy. It's worth adding in relation your third point, that ketosis has a metabolic advantage, that Mike Eades did the math on the possible size of the ketosis related metabolic advantage in one of his blog entries during a recent to an Anthony Colpo flare up and he pointed out that it was only ever going to be tiny. I have no doubt that metabolic advantage exists just as I've no doubt that cephalic phase insulin response happens as well, but they're both more like metabolic curiosities rather than an important mechanism. And many low carbers tend to cling to both as such.

On the subject of CPIR, it's always struck me that fructose has no insulin response at all and yet if CPIR was at all important, even thinking about, let alone eating something sweetened with fructose, would cause a signifigant (ie. likely to influence the total hormonal environment) release of insulin. And in the same way that the insulin surge produced by dietary protein is balanced by glucagon, any tiny CPIR insulin reaction, unless it is actually needed by insulin requiring carbs will also be balanced by glucagon. Our bodies are so much cleverer than we give them credit for.

Stuart
  #156   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 15:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
If the Minnesota Starvation study and others are any indication, deliberately ignoring that hunger will tend to cause rebound hunger at a later date and the regain of lost weight plus more. Many of the people "starved" in the studies later gained back all the weight, plus more after the study ended. Sort of explains yo-yo dieting, doesn't it?

But do you think it explains low carb yoyo dieting Valerie ?

Stuart
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 16:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1708
Here's a question.

Before I begin, let me say that imho, the main goal is weight maintenance at a reasonable level for an individual. Losing weight, followed by gaining it all back is frustrating at best and inimical for health at worst.

The "traditional" method for losing weight is to go hungry. It occurs to me to wonder if this may not be actually detrimental for long term weight loss/maintenance? In other words, will experincing persistent hunger tend to produce long term weight gain (not loss) given an abundance of food available?

I can imagine 2 ways this could happen. One is that appetite (hunger) could be upregulated, the other is that activity could be downregulated.

I'm not, btw, talking about eating less because one is less hungry or about "metabolic advantage". I'm specifically talking about eating a small enough amount of food to produce noticeable hunger on a consistent basis. Hunger is a biochemical state after all, in which the body is sending a signal. What happens if one deliberately ignores that signal?

Does anyone have ideas, comments, research, personal experience, etc about this?

Beth

Beth, most Cron adherents are chronically hungry for decades. So are a lot of poor people in third world countries (whose meagre available food is mostly high carb as well). Both groups just ignore it, the Croners because they are chasing extended maximum life span and the poverty stricken because they have no choice.

And both stay emaciated. Certainly not pretty (although pretty morally reprehensible in the case of poverty though).

Stuart
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 16:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Kneebrace - I. too, would like you to address Larry's question. I have corresponded with Mike Eades about Gary's book and never heard the complaints you're talking about. In fact, he posted a blog making the very argument you say he disagreed with when it appeared in GCBC. Here's the link:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/2007/09/

I also think you could benefit by rereading the section in GCBC about fructose.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 16:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
Stuart, I would like to reference your source for this comment, Re: Mike Eades, to a friend that is a stickler for detail. I have no reason to disagree with you but my/your saying Dr. Eades “thinks Gary Taubes got it wrong” will not fly with him unless I can point him to a web page/post/blog entry where Dr. Mike has made such a statement.

Thanks for your help,
Larry

Larry, I think you might have to try to persuade your friend to read between the lines a bit. Mike Eades certainly has never come out and said 'Gary Taubes got it wrong in GCBC' because I'm sure he like me finds much of the book splendid.

However he does think that Gary's notion that carbs are the only thing that determines the total fat storage/loss hormonal environment is wrong because it is not even up for debate. That there are many determinants of that hormonal environment, including whether you are in energy surplus/equilibrium/ or deficit. And this is, as much as some low carbers try to deny it, basic biochemistry. That's why, IMHO, GCGC will never get the notice so many other aspects of the book deserve, because he gets the basic biochemistry about body fat loss hormonal environment demonstrably wrong.

GCBC also gives the impression that without carb driven insulin, you can't store bodyfat. Even this is wrong, because everyone has a baseline amount of insulin in their bloodstream at any moment, even if they eat no carbohydrate, and that amount of insulin is sufficient to store dietary fat. How much bodyfat an individual stores for a given dietary fat energy surplus varies considerably from individual to individual with factors that as yet aren't well understood. If anyone doubts this they just have to cast their eye over any low carb forum to see repeated reports of people gaining bodyfat despite eating practically no carbohydrate, if they eat too much fat.

Also Mike Eades has indeed said, in both his books and his blog that he thinks any metabolic advantage is insignifigant, and that the main advantage of low carb, for bodyfat loss is that you naturally eat far less.

Nevertheless Mike Eades certainly agrees with Gary, as do I , that Low Carb is far and away the healthiest dietary approach for humans. In fact, as important as bodyfat loss is to many of the people who take an active interest in this forum, I think the bodyfat loss aspect of low carbing is a only a bit player in the big picture of eating the way we were designed to by zillions of years of evolution. One of the best low carbing books, Life W/O Bread, makes the very important point that some people actually gain bodyfat on low carb, because they need to. It's not just a simple matter of whether low carb is better for bodyfat loss.

Stuart

Last edited by kneebrace : Mon, Feb-04-08 at 16:57.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
In fact, he posted a blog making the very argument you say he disagreed with when it appeared in GCBC. Here's the link:

Thanks for this post. At the very end I read:
Quote:
Using the data from these mouse studies we have shown that there indeed is a metabolic advantage in living creatures that doesn’t violate the laws of thermodynamics, and by doing so have falsified the hypothesis (vigorously stated by some) that there is no metabolic advantage. Meaning, of course, that there is indeed a metabolic advantage
(my emphasis)

This is basically what I meant when I said that there seems to be an existence proof of metabolic advantage if the data from this thread is to be believed.
  #161   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceberezin
Kneebrace - I. too, would like you to address Larry's question. I have corresponded with Mike Eades about Gary's book and never heard the complaints you're talking about. In fact, he posted a blog making the very argument you say he disagreed with when it appeared in GCBC. Here's the link:

I also think you could benefit by rereading the section in GCBC about fructose.

Thanks Ceberezin, I read the link, but I got the impression that in it Mike Eades was saying that although metabolic advantage for rate of bodyfat gaindoes exist (in mice genetically engineered for bodyfat gain at least) even in them in this study, it says nothing about bodyfat loss. It can certainly be extrapolated to do so, if you try hard enough. Also the first half of the blog was about the confounding factor in humans which is how carb driven hunger is what makes low carbing such an effective tool for weight loss. It was interesting that he stressed that the laws of thermodynamics were inviolable don't you think, in or out of a human body, something that a lot of low carbers are wont to forget?

Fructose's metabolic peculiarities are certainly fascinating. What was on your mind?

Stuart
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 17:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1708
Thanks for this post. At the very end I read:
(my emphasis)

This is basically what I meant when I said that there seems to be an existence proof of metabolic advantage if the data from this thread is to be believed.

But Beth, is it a signifigant factor in why low carb diets work so well for bodyfat loss ?. I'm still mystified why so many low carbers seem determined to believe that it is signifigant when low carb doesn't need it at all to be the best approach to health/bodycomp. And because carb driven hunger driven overeating is so powerful anyway why spend so much time agonizing over a figure to put on an insignifigant metabolic curiosity like 'metabolic advantage'? It's almost as if 'carbs make you hungry and cause degenerative disease' isn't as impressive as 'metabolic advantage'.

Stuart
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
But Beth, is it a signifigant factor in why low carb diets work so well for bodyfat loss ?. I'm still mystified why so many low carbers seem determined to believe that it is signifigant when low carb doesn't need it at all to be the best approach to health/bodycomp.

From what I've read here, for some people it seems to be very significant. Also, if people are like the mice, it is likely to be about 66% (that is, the ketogenic mice weighed the same as mice eating 66% of the regular diet). That isn't chump change.

Quote:
The control mice eating the chow set the caloric consumption for the group. Researchers gave the control mice all the chow they wanted and measured the calories consumed. They then gave that same number of calories to the high-sugar, high-fat group and to the ketogenic diet group. They gave 66% of the control diet calories to the calorically-restricted group. They studied the mice for a little over a month, which is a long time in the life of a mouse.

Quote:
the mice on the ketogenic diet ate the same number of calories as all the other mice did except for the calorically-restricted ones. You can see from B that the mice on the ketogenic diet weighed the same as the calorically-restricted mice despite consuming many more mousy calories. And, finally, you can see from C that the laws of thermodynamics weren’t violated because the mice on the ketogenic diet ran at a hotter temperature than did the other mice.

BTW, it seems to me is that the person on this thread who seems most interested in the question is you, yourself. Much of the conversation about it here seems to be you claiming that it isn't and other people discussing what you said.

Beth

Last edited by Beth1708 : Mon, Feb-04-08 at 18:24.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
Thanks, that's interesting.

I was reading a paper on the metabolism society website that was comparing studies of LC vs. more traditional dieting.

I didn't notice a lack of LBM loss in the other. In fact there appeared to be more muscle loss %-wise in the other than in lowcarb.

I suppose if a diet were high in protein but low in fat that might be possible but a high carb low fat diet even in other papers I've skimmed has as much or more LBM loss as LC does.

Maybe this is a conversation that we can't even have intelligently without specifying exactly the nutritional parameters you're talking about in that case.

Best,
PJ

Well the number of bodybuilders with impressive physiques who reduce their bodyfat to single digits with low fat, but at least adequate protein would tend to support the notion that it was getting sufficient protein that was the critical factor in preserving muscle I would think. Though I think even ultra low fat athletes are cognizant of the necessity of EFA's.

But PJ I do want to emphasize that I'm certainly not recommending low fat to anyone. Who wants to be unhealthier or constantly hungry? Nevertheless they do work for bodyfat loss without LBM loss if you can stand this very considerable downside. In other words, one of the fundamental propositions of GCBC, that it is not metabolically possible to lose bodyfat in a high insulin environment, is just fundamentally wrong.

Stuart
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 19:09
Registered Member

BF:

[QUOTE=rightnow]
Quote:
Stuart this is from a different thread, but it has more in common with the nature/topic of this thread instead, so I am quoting and replying here.

Help me understand this better. I'm not arguing, I'm just confused.

1. I thought, that the point of going ketogenic, was that instead of using food
(carbs) for energy, the body essentially had to use its own fat cells for energy. I believed that this is why after a day or three of misery, when ketosis finally kicks in, one feels tons of energy all the sudden... I thought this was because fat-as-the-energy-source had been set up and there was now lots of energy available.

I'll do my best .

If you don't provide your body with carbs for energy, it certainly must look to fat for energy, but if you are eating any dietary fat, it would much prefer to just use that rather than go through the vastly more complicated hormonal/enzyme driven process of mobilzing bodyfat. The enzyme machinery to use even dietary fat requires the three (?, it's often more than three days isn't it? Took me about a fortnight) days of misery. And producing and using ketones as the major part of the energy you derive from fat is a bit of a medium term sideshow anyway. The longer you spend low carbing the more you become adapted to using FFa's for energy directly without your liver having to churn out ketones. Some cells will always prefer ketones over FFA's, like heart muscle, and some cells can't even utilize FFA's at all, like your CNS. So ketones will always be part of your fat burning picture, just not a very important one eventually (takes about a year). Traditionally living Inuit are only ever in very mild ketosis (don't forget that even high carbers are in mild ketosis too when they wake up from their overnight fast) despite hardly ever eating much carbohydrate. You can effectively prevent yourself from ever becoming fully fat adapted, by regularly having carby 'treats' or PWO carb 'glycogen replenishment 'refeeds', and be stuck forever having to rely on ketones.

Quote:
2. I thought this dump of fat cell content into the bloodstream was behind 'induction flu' as fat cells also store toxins. As this does not happen on lowcal or lowfat or in general but only on lowcarb, I believed this related to the fat cells being used per #1 above.

AFAIK, induction flu is because of the stress of bringing your fat burning metabolic/enzyme machinery up to speed, but that isn't necessarily from bodyfat, if you are eating a lot of fat. There will certainly be some bodyfat involved if you are in energy deficit, but if you are in energy equilibrium or surplus, bodyfat will just watch from the sidelines.

Quote:
3. I thought the vastly less insulin in the body when eating a lowcarb meal (vs highcarb) meant that probably, less fat was stored (less insulin to store it and more glucogen to balance that insulin, so sooner afterward, more fat could be released).

Yes, that's true, but if you aren't in energy deficit, you'll just burn the dietary fat and not lose any bodyfat. And I think you meant 'glucagon' not glucogen

Quote:
. Now, in terms of "experience," there's also of course the issue that eating many carbs makes me crave carbs; some through too-sweet causing pavlovian response in the body even without actual sugar, and some through kicking one out or partly out of ketosis, so the body suddenly wants to get energy from food again.

These first three are the things that I have felt made a lowcarb diet significantly different for me in terms of actual results.

If you provide your body with dietary energy, either fat or carbs, it will use that first before it goes looking for stored energy PJ. And don't forget that it takes at least 24 hrs for a meal to be digested. Most people eat at least every 8 hrs, so if you are in energy surplus, you aren't going to access any bodyfat at all. You might store less of the excess if you are restricting carbs, but you won't lose any either.

Quote:
If the only point of lowcarb working is that it reduces calories, then what would be the point of lowcarb at all, aside from getting enough protein and not getting too much insulin? Maybe there isn't one aside from that. However that still implies there is a sort of (don't-say-'advantage' lest someone freak out) benefit to lowcarb totally aside from the calorie issue -- and this seems totally obvious, and I feel sure you agree, but your original comment regarding Dr. Eades' comments implies otherwise, which is why it's a little confusing.

Well vastly improved health springs to mind. Throw in vastly improved bodyfat loss outcomes from naturally eating less, and you've got a pretty powerful argument for low carb wouldn't you agree?.

Quote:
Concerning #s 1-3 above, these factors are not in place in an ordinary low-calorie diet to my knowledge. If eating 2000 calories a day on lowcarb causes me to use some amount of my bodyfat for energy, while eating the same amount on lowfat/highcarb would not, then I don't understand how lowcarb could be said to not have a different and advantageous result.

Absolutely. However here's what IMHO is actually happening in the above scenario. Eating low carb means you are less hungry, so you eat less. You might calculate that you are eating the same calories, but you are losing bodyfat, and you really want to believe that there is some fancy sounding mechanism at work rather than a simple notion like 'I just eat less naturally' so you fluff the figures. Now PJ, this is what all the metabolic ward studies in humans have shown thus far. They may be wrong, and let's all hope they are.

But as Regina has so eloquently stated: 'The doorway to the 'possibility' of the existence of the low carb metabolic advantage that anecdotal evidence seems to support is still open'. But that is all.

Meanwhile, savour the bodyfat loss that low carb has provided you, and increase low carb's wider credibility by keeping very circumspect about metabolic 'possibilities'.

Quote:
Maybe I am wording this badly, I apologize if so. I ate like shit for two weeks when my ex was visiting and not surprisingly am now sick. My head feels like a pressurized pumpkin and it's nearly 3am so excuse me if I'm incoherent in some way.

Very coherent I thought. But look after yourself anyway.

Stuart