Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 12:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Unsuccessful 1st 2 weeks

Hello all!

I am a 34 year old make who weighs 255 pounds. I am trying to get to 200 pounds, which I would be lean. I have a muscular build, but it has 55 pounds of cushioning to lose. I just completed 2 weeks of phase 1 of the Atkins and i did not lose a pound. I did it strict too. The only carbs I got where from spinach in my chicken salads I had once a day. I found myself eating a lot of cheese and wonder if that was the issue. I was mainly eating animal proteins and fats. It was discouraging that I did not lose weight. I bought ketosis strips and I was always between trace and small. I would like this way of eating to work. It's a way of eating I could see sticking with. I also do not mind the phase 1 stage either. Would anyone have advice why I did not experience any weight loss in 2 weeks? I look forward to hearing back from you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 14:49

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome MRL50! Glad you found us here.

Perhaps if you give us an idea of what you are eating (portions etc) we might be able to help you. You might be eating too much or too little, or have some hidden carbs or something.

Have you measured yourself? Sometimes the scale lies but the tape measure will tell the truth.

Good luck on your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 15:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Looking for hidden carbs and sugar might help.
Check salad dressing and any other sauce.
Do you think you're eating enough low carb veggies, protein and fat?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 15:31

BF:
Progress:

I was mainly eating as much fats and proteins I wanted to. A lot of beef, beacon, eggs, cheese, salad dressings. I don't think I was getting any hidden carbs. I wasn't eating too little. If anything it was probably too much. I was eating 2 to 3 high protein and fat content meals daily. I was probably getting 150 grams of protein and around 200 grams of fat. I am saying "was" because I am taking a few days off to revaluate how I was eating. The only carbs were from spinach, and the little that is in the real salad dressings and real cheese. It seems like I was eating too much dairy in my opinion. My net carbs were probably only around 20 grams. I was eating whole foods and no low carb grains, bars, shakes, etc.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 15:33

BF:
Progress:

I measured my waist and hips. They stayed about the same. 46" waist and 40" hips. I got sick beyond the "Aitkins Flu." I did not have that much activity.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 16:00

BF:
Progress:

I somewhat typical day was steak and 2 eggs for breakfast, aa chicken breast, beacon, spinach, mozzarella cheese, and blue cheese dressing for lunch, and a decent size of a phase 1 cheeseburger casserole for dinner.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

too much animal protein spikes insulin.
cheese is known to stall.
have you looked at low spiking insulin foods?
Dr. Jason Fung suggests eating foods that doesn't spike insulin.
"Breaking the Obesity Code" is a book he wrote, explaining why we don't lose weight.
If you can get a copy of the book and read about how to lose weight, I think that would help you and help you understand that just low carb doesn't work..
high fat, moderate protein works...

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 17:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

How much cheese is "a lot?" Phase 1 of Atkins allows only 3-4 oz of cheese. I know I can't handle more than an ounce - and not every day. If I eat more than an ounce I get in trouble with wanting to eat more and more - and then I don't lose weight & my BG goes up. People are different & react differently to the same foods.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0'00"
BF:
Progress: 6%

You can still overeat on LC and thus not lose... I'm a newb too who started at just over 300 lbs, and I've been keeping my calories at 1700-2000. Try logging/measuring in a site like myfitnesspal.com to get a feel for where you're at... You might be surprised how quickly the carbs and calories add up from things like cheese, dressing, and veggies...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 20:15

BF:
Progress:

I feel like I'm getting too much animal protein. But I'm confused what else you are supposed to eat. Laying off the dairy products is the only think I can think might help. Any thoughts?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 20:37

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

More fat. Less meat.

NOT cheese, but, for example, two or three eggs, fried in plenty of fat (butter, coconut oil, bacon fat, etc) with two or three pieces of bacon for breakfast.

Instead of chicken (breast with no skin, right?) on the lunch salad, have a chicken thigh or two, with the good crispy skin.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 20:47
Registered Member

Plan: n/a
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0'00"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Breakfast: bacon, eggs fried in butter, and a little grated cheese on top...

Lunch: big green salad with fish or chicken, caesar dressing, feta, bacon

Dinner: steamed, baked or raw non-starchy veggies with meat protein of my choice, big pat of butter & spice/herb seasonings.

Snacks: an ounce of nuts, couple rolled up deli meat with cream cheese & dill pickle inside, pepperoni stick, beef jerky stick
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 21:31

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRL50
I feel like I'm getting too much animal protein. But I'm confused what else you are supposed to eat. Laying off the dairy products is the only think I can think might help. Any thoughts?

Hi MRL50, good to see another fella on this site There are lots of things to eat. I really struggled with the idea of eating "so much fat" as it was opposite of my upbringing. What do you do with the bacon grease after you fried bacon or the hamberger and steak? I'll save it or eat it with the meat. It's not instinctive for me to poor grease from cooking a 70/30 ground beef back on/in a burger bowl with greens.

I've been experimenting with eating alot (approaching 30+ a few times) and that seems to get me below optimal ketosis. Last couple days I'm UNDER 20 and things are starting to pop on the Ketonix breathalyzer and strips. Will weight loss follow? Who knows as I eat so many calories. Here's an example of lunch I had yesterday and today, You'll see the top layer is fat from the meat cook in a pressure cooker with a few peppers and bit of onion and garlic. I would estimate that this has at LEAST 10 liquid tablespoons of fat, not to mention what's still left on the meat. However, this was my one meal today at lunch with a small spinach salad, estimated 5 net carbs for today. My ketones should be higher tomorrow. Keep experimenting, you'll figure it out. I did have to ditch keeping cheese around as I was hitting that shit too much. Now I just get it if eating out or in salad stuff.

Lunch (Camel meat with bones in curry sauce I made up) see that fat!

If you're looking for another good example of eating fat, find some of the poster uberfat's posts. Amazing story, he basically only eats fat from lamb. Yikes!

PS, I think you have been successful! You are trying something new that might work out for you and open to suggestions.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 21:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm having the same difficulty, trying to reduce the protein and increase the fat. It isn't as easy as it sounds!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-16, 21:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've been putting coconut oil in my coffee with cream too. I love the coconut flavor with my strong coffee, it tastes like an Almond Joy that I haven't had in two years

I only reuse my bacon drippings just because it's clean with no brown bits but I cook eggs in it every day.

Egg yolks are the fat of the egg. One high fat dish would be to boil the eggs and then just use the yolk mixed with mayonnaise. That's really high fat.

I know what you mean Thud about being raised not to eat fat but erase all of that because that's how we got like this
I've been reading a lot more about Keto and it makes perfectly good sense.
It reverses so many health issues...