Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-07, 14:12

Plan: Controlling the Carbs
Stats: 282/197.5/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Are You Really Happy???

I just wanted to know from each group are the people really happy with their WOE or more so b/c of the results. I have come across some people who wish they could eat certain things but know it will bring back the pounds so while they are elated about their new figure they aren't necessarily about the food. So I thought I would start thread in each of the programs on here and see what everyone has to say.

I know I don't have to ask for everyone to respect each other's posts
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-07, 17:17

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 174/170/140 Female 66.5 in.
BF:
Progress:
Default So-So

So far I am happy with SP, but then again this is only day 9! I tried this program once before about 2 years ago but quit because it is very limited in what you can and cannot eat. No processed foods is a little hard for me. It means no pasta, no flour tortillas, no white rice. But I have started reading Betty's journal and she has TONS of menus and recipes included. My problem, I think, is creativity. Betty sounds like a VERY creative person, so I plan on putting her talents to good use! In these 9 days, I have lost 4 pounds, so I can't complain there. I started this program because of horrible menopause symptons, and between the diet and the supplements I started taking at the same time I started the program, I feel like myself again instead of some emotional mess that neither I nor my husband knew what to do with! I know if I can get it going like Betty has, it will be a lifestyle change that will only make me healthier as time goes on. Of course dropping my excess 30 pounds will be nice, but for me it's all about being healthy and having the energy to do the things my husband and I want to do when he retires.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-08, 07:32

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 265/260/160 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 5%

SP can be a bit scary at first while reading through all of the material. I've started the SP way of life two times before, this is my third. the first two times i was a nut about absolutely no processed anything. and i think that is what got me to "fall off the wagon" both times. this time, i am more determined and better aware of myself and have decided that it is okay to eat some stuff just very sparingly. I am going to for sure stay away from pasta, breads and white flour though. I don't know why i let myself stop the first 2 times. i felt awesome. all the aches in my joints were gone, didn't feel sick to my stomach anymore at the end of the day. i loved it. sure, its hard to give up the convienence, but the feeling better outways the time to prepare hands down. I'm only 32 and have a 2 year old to make happy memories with. =)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-08, 14:16

Plan: atkins healthy
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 10
BF:
Progress: 21%

No, not at all. I hate to say it. I know that a lot of people are so successul on this. And, I am in no way criticizing this WOE. It works wonders for a lot of people, and offers great rewards. But, I had to get off of it after 3 weeks. I was cranky, and moody. I am just eating less food now, and not pigging out! I am MUCH happier..and my skin looks better for some reason.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 18:46

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi there,
I have read all Dr. Schwarzbein's books and have followed her advice for the most part. I am also menopausal and have thyroid problems. I must admit that I have veered into the diets of Dr. Peter D'adamo, of Eat Right 4 Your Type and his latest, The Genotype Diet. His diets are also whole foods, a bit more restrictive according to some typing. But I think it is starting to work. I have recently added some dairy products back into my diet, still no wheat except for an occasional sprouted product. I love these Drs that are concerned that we eat whole, natural foods. I really believe they are spot on. Also, Dr. Schwarzbein's ideas on serotonin have been helpful also!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 12:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 191/189/140 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default hey pmezak, let's talk

Hello, I am new to SP. Just starting actually. I started on Women to Women supplements and the SP book came with it. I am in my mid 30's and perimenopausal (despite what doctors say) and hypothyroid. I am 5 ft. tall and 190 lbs and miserable. I just started supplements 4 days ago and just finished reading the SP book. Have you had any good results with SP? Any suggestions for a fellow hypo? I also did curves since last spring, with no results.

Anxious to hear from you!

mlgoble
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 16:40

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm HAPPY yes! In general, and with my eating habits.

For me to be happy with what I eat, I had to take stock in this way of thinking:

DON'T DO ANYTHING TO LOSE WEIGHT THAT YOU CAN'T SUSTAIN THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

And so I haven't. I eat whole foods, and sometimes that includes eating things that are carby or crappy and sugary. But the main thing is moderation AFTER initially get some weight off and getting used to eating whole foods.

Remember, SP is not a low carb plan, but compared to the way most of us used to eat, it is much lower carb. Compared to Atkins, SP is CARB CRAZY!

Whatever you do, if you can stick with whole foods, no processed sugar for the most part, and balance the groups at each meal, you will succeed. Fruits are not processed and are healthy in moderation!

Best wishes to you all! --Betty
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 18:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/245 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 143%

After I got over my sugar addiction I am supprised how happy I am. I allow my self an ocasional cheat and dont beat my self up after, I just try to to the best every day and every meal. One issue I had before starting LC WOE was high and then very low blood sugar, to the point of falling asleep wile driving, now I have hit my weight loss goal and feel great. I no longer crave sugar, I can buy donuts for the office and have little if any desire to eat one. The longer with out sugar, the less i want it.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-08, 21:42

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I only just checked back here. Sorry not to respond, Mlgoble.
How are you doing on the supplements? Have you been able to lose any more weight? I am around 5'2" and weigh around 150.
I'd also like to get to 130lbs. Haven't really lost since January.
Wonder if my thyroid is undertreated, although the md said it was fine.....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 06:23

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 157/152/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hello! May I join you?

I have been on SP for over a month, and know intuitively, that it is the best plan for me. It's all about healthy, balanced eating-- Who can argue with that? I think, though, that it is expensive, and locating organic foods for a reasonable price is nearly impossible in the area where I live. I am mostly whole foods now, and working on identifying any gluten allergies I may have by introducing one gluten-type per week to see if I get any reactions (like Candida, etc.).

I'm not doing well on all meals being "Schwarzbein Squares" but I do pair 2 of the three (carbs/proteins/fats) every time I eat. This summer I plan to focus more on doing the plan "clean".

No weight loss, yet, though, I'm not surprised. At 46, 5"2", hypothyroid, and perimenopausal, the 20 pounds that make me "round" are probably here to stay for a while.

By the way-- my doc recently added Cytomel to my Synthroid for hypothyroid. I think it's worth it to check out other supplements/alternatives until our energy is restored. I believe weight loss is possible when we get it all figured out.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-16-08, 06:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereds
The longer with out sugar, the less i want it.

I feel this same way. And, as a former sugar addict, that is huge!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 14:06

BF:
Progress:

I love coffee. That's all there is to it. I'm doing Schwarzbein, and she says you should give it up. wah!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 14:18

BF:
Progress:

Hi Beckyha! I, too, am doing Schwarzbein and am beginning to wonder if I've make a mistake. There is NO WAY we can afford all the organic foods. I can get grains at Wholefoods, no problem, but organic meats, fish, and cheeses are out of the question. I keep telling myself that surely you don't have to be wealthy to be healthy, but according to her book, we don't have a chance. I'm questioning whether I should go ahead with SP but buy regular stuff with all the additives and chemicals or just chuck it all together. I would appreciate your thoughts.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-20-08, 06:46

BF:
Smile

I am a coffee lover, too, and still have my big cup of half caff with cream in the morning. There is research that shows that coffee has several benefits, and besides, I love it!

About the costs of organic food...my DH and I for the first time bought a 1/4 cow's worth of meat from a local rancher. The meat is very good, and is under $3.00 a pound. It does take an extra refrigerator, though.

There's a way to wash regular veggies and fruits to clean off any residual pesticide too (1 cup hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon water, I think. ?? ). That way, store-bought produce is cleaner.

As for "real" organic, I am fussy about my cream for coffee and butter. I buy them organic regularly. Costco sometimes has organic products, like the butter, too. Walmart has a local egg supplier that is organic. It is slowly carrying other organics, as well.

Yes, it is expensive and can be impractical. I think we have to find a balance between our budgets and our health needs.

There are other "free" ways to take good care of ourselves, too, like exercise, rest, and play.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 06:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/176.0/136 Female 5'3.5
BF:41
Progress: 15%

I LOVE Schwarzbein and it works well for me--I feel great, my skin looks 10 years younger. At this time I am doing Atkins because I would like to lose weight a bit faster--for me Schwarzbein works great for maintenance but it is a bit slow on weight loss. I have been using SP for about a month and physically I feel great but I haven't lost much. In addition, I just got blood work done and want to see what Atkins does to my triglycerides and cholesterol (Yup, that's me--"Nan the Amazing Human Experiment!"). My Dr, God bless his careful lil heart, is pretty much "American Heart Assn/ADA" all the way. He literally told me, "Anything that tastes really good should probably be avoided--cheese, red meat, eggs..." He is pushing for cholesterol medicine, although my cholesterol is only slightly above normal. My feeling is, he reminded me I need to lose weight (which I do) so I shall do so using a plan that works for me. Low carb works FAR better than low cal.