Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 20:58

Plan: Curves low carb/cal plan
Stats: 230/160/155
BF:35%/24.5%/23.5%
Progress: 93%

bcl,
You can purchase the new Curves Book at any major bookstore, Sam's Club, or even at some Curves facilities. It explains the whole diet, the machines used there, and how to do the exercises at home if you are unable to join. Also, the June 17 issue of Woman's World magazine has a great article on Curves, but unfortunately does not explain all three phases of the diet.
You can check out www.curvesinternational.com , but I've never been real impressed with their website. It will tell you locations of over 5400 Curves in the US, though.
Hey, guess what! Lost 4 lbs this week--only 6 more to go! Yea!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 07:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/175/164 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up

CurvyLady~ I' glad you lost 4 more pounds. I wish I only had 6 more to lose like you I'll try out the Curves website. I believe there is a franchise near my home too.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:
Question

Hey CurvyLady ~ I visited the Curves link. How are you able to keep your heart rate up just jogging in place? When I'm on my treadmill in the basement, I have to do 3.8-3.9 miles an hour just to keep my heart rate between 125-140. I forgot to tell you, I actually lost 1 glorious pound since yesterday. I think I might be correct about the coffee connection.

Last edited by Cinnemon : Fri, Jun-20-03 at 08:03.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 200/183/125
BF:Start 40.4 / Curr
Progress: 23%
Default just a thought

This has helped me so much. and its perfectly healthy and natural. its called L- carnitine. heres a little infor on it hope it helps someone as much as its helping me have a great day

L-Carnitine is not an amino acid in the strict sense (it is not used as a neurotransmitter or in protein synthesis), however L-Carnitine bears many resemblances to amino acids and is usually grouped under this heading. L-Carnitine (the "L" refers to its chemical polarity) is used by the body to transport long chain fatty acids to the mitochondria in your cells, where they are burned for energy. Since this fat burning is such a major source of muscular energy, deficiencies in L-Carnitine are manifested as low energy levels and muscular weakness. L-Carnitine deficiencies can also appear as mental confusion or cloudiness, angina (heart pain) and weight gain.

The dose for weight loss is 1500 mg a day. IT REALLY WORKS!!!!
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 14:53
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

Greetings Lynn in Ohio Thanks for peaking into our little ongoing chat. Please tell me where I can get the L-carnitine? I am willing to try anything. This afternoon I visited the Atkins outlet out here and picked up a bottle of Accel $13.95 for 45 tablets. It's supposed to promote thermogenisis and stimulate the body's natural ability to metabolize unwanted fat. Your supposed to take one tablet, 1 hour before each meal. I just took the first pill and hour ago, then ate roasted chidken with mayo. I'll be the first one to let everyone know it if actually works. I read about it in someone's else's thread. Also, what does the L-carnitine cost? bye
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 18:32

Cinnemon,
The strength training machines is where you get your heart rate up. Believe me--you get your heart rate up! You work the machine as HARD as you can for 30 sec., then move to the recovery station for light aerobics for 30 sec. ,then to the next machine as hard as you can for 30 sec., to recovery station, etc. The key to the success is in the intensity of working the machines, taking it easier on the recovery stations so you're ready to exert yourself on the next machine. Your workout last approx. 30 min, and burn between 300 & 500 calories per workout, depending on your intensity. I have never before seen results in so many people so fast doing something so easy. I've been working there & teaching the diet classes for 9 mths. now. Unfortunately, I am changing jobs (I need something with more hours per week & better pay). But I love my job there. Every person in my diet class that has stuck to the principles has had success. I HATED exercise before this, and I just love it there. The support from other women there is great. Hope you check it out.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 19:47
Registered Member

BF:
Question

CurvyLady The Curves link you gave me said that it was using resistance equipment that you push down, but don't have to pull back up. Also that there weren't any weights to keep changing, so how does it do such a hard workout to really make a difference?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 02:49
Registered Member

Stats: 200/183/125
BF:Start 40.4 / Curr
Progress: 23%
Default Hi Cinnemon

I get L-Carnitine at our local health food store here in toledo but i know that they sell it at GNC and walmart. The price at walmart is 10.37 for 30 500mg caps. and at GNC the price is like 32.00 but i believe you get more caps in a bottle. I first of all am a cheap woman. lol but believe me this is so worth the money. I hase help me a great deal. i can think clearly im not tired at all. and the weight has begun to drop off. i so wish that we had an atkins outlet near me!!!! i want the batter mix and the fudge pop mix bad. i have ordered it through the health food store but they have not been able to get it in yet. try the l-carnitine and believe me you will be very happy with your results.
have a great LC day.
lynn
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 07:22
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some suggestions.

Take the test here and see if you're a carbohydrate addict and need CAD.

Try drinking your coffee within 15 mintes.

Try upping your protein to 12-16 ounces a day.

Try eating heavier proteins like red meat and dark meat poultry.

Try reducing your total fat to 25-30%.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: general LC
Stats: 211/186.5/150
BF:?/40%/?
Progress: 40%

Hi Cinnemon,
First, congrats for sticking with it when you had no loss for so long! There was a great post by RCFletcher about how he broke a year long stall using Stillmans diet. I just added coconut oil to my diet and I think it is helping. I am near the Lindenhurst Curves and plan to check it out one of these days. As others have said, there are other carb-controlled plans, and I also think switching plans may "wake up" your body if it has gotten set in its ways.

Good luck.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: general LC
Stats: 211/186.5/150
BF:?/40%/?
Progress: 40%

Here is the link to the thread..........don't know why I couldn't find it the first time I looked:

http://64.246.57.173/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109835

Hope this helps.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 12:37
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Lynninohio Thanks for the info on L-Carnitine. I knew the word sounded familiar. I just got finished reading a book by Dr. Tony Perrone. He says he uses 3000-5000 mg. 40 minutes prior to cardio exercise. I visited the L-Carnitine link you gave me, printed it out, and took it to my doctor's visit this morning. I showed it to him (young guy remember) He said the effectiveness hasn't been proven and there weren't any studies done on it. I showed him pg. 3 & 4 of the print out showing references and double blind trials. He said it probably wouldn't hurt, but didn't know. This guy is making me real cranky On the way home I picked up a 30 tablet bottle at the pharmacy for $10.95. I hope it works.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 19:01

Cinnemon,
Sorry I'm so late in getting back to you. The Quickfit System of exercise machines are based on hydraulics, no weights to change. The resistance created by the hydraulics causes you to push or pull the machine as hard as you want to. The harder you push or pull, the harder you work out. You are not lifting weights, but raising or lowering the equipment against resistance. I'm not an expert on the machines, but I do know they generally work both sides of a muscle at the same time, therefore there is no soreness the next day. That was what surprised me the most when I started there. There are 12 machines in the set. Some work upper body, some lower body, some the abdomial area. I found some various web sites that show you the machines, & I don't know how to insert "links", so here are the sites:
www.get-fit-quick.com/quickfit_circuit.htm
www.areaclicks.com/curvesEA/
www.curveswestlake.com/quickfit_circuit
The best way to see what they do is to visit a Curves. They'd be happy to let you watch the ladies work out a while, and talk to the members to see what they have to say about the machines. Some Curves even let you try a machine or two--you'd have to ask. Hope I've been of some help.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 19:04

Cinnemon,
Cool!! I didn't know when I listed the sites that they became links! My kids know so much more about computers than I do.
Well, now I learned something!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 19:25
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

CurvyLady
Thank for explaining the workings of the Curves machines. There's a Curves a few miles from me. I didn't know they would just let me peak in. I know the franchise is very popular. My dentist's secretary quit her job and opened one! It's getting late, so I'll check out your most recent links tomorrow from work. Have a restful night.