Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/166/135
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Thanks!

Doreen - thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 18:45

Stats: 222/208/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

Thanks for the welcome
I'm 72 years old and have been doing Atkins for 5 weeks. Any tips from other oldies. Especially regards exercise, food etc. I'm doing 5k on treadmill each morning now. 14lb gone so far.
Good luck everyone
  #78   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 19:30
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Oldie, welcome!

14 pounds in just 5 weeks is great, good on you!

Have you visited our Australia/New Zealand forum yet? Lots of local info there plus you can meet some more Enzeders.

All the best for your continued success, matey!

Rosebud
  #79   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 315/285/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking Hello

This is my introduction.
  #80   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 05:48

Stats: 255/255/185
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post checking ketosis

Hi,

Thank you for providing a message board for newbies like myself. I am following the Atkins Diet. I am a bit confused as to how to measure ketosis. I purchased Clinistix to test my urine, but am not sure as to the color match I should be shooting for. Could you help me with this question? Thanks so much!

MEKCOB
  #81   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 06:50

Stats: 185/170/145
BF:Too much!
Progress: 38%
Smile What a great site!

Another newbie here. What a great site this is. I'm 15 days into induction and with the aid of the wonderful posters on this site I have learned so much already. I think I may have been eating too many carbs and not realizing it. Fitday is a blessing. I'm so glad I found this site. Thank you!

Last edited by Jubileee : Sun, May-18-03 at 09:23.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 07:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/185/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking oldie but newbie here

Ok Well here I am back on my Low Carb diet for the 10th or 12th time in my life but I really need to suceed this time. I have alot of obstacles to overcome which is really gonna make this more difficult, Number one I have fibroid tumors and not just the kind that don't bother you I have the really big time bothersome type, number 2 I have a husband that constantly wants to eat out and number 3 a mother-in-law that cooks the best food lol., I guess I couldn't compete with her so we go and eat out instead.. So what do ya'll think, will I be able to get by these obstacles and suceed again? I always lose weight on this diet it's just when I go off it I gain it all back duh right. ok nice to have a place to console and meet people with the same motives.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 18:22

Stats: 202/200/135
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default hi

I see you like crafts, me too.

As for the eatting out, I would have a big problem eatting out a lot because eventually I would want to eat something I shouldn't. Although I do love salads, chef salads that is. Keep up the good work of trying and trying again.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 18:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/185/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 27%

We are so much alike I'm gonna be watching for you, we weigh the same !! Well, close your 2 pounds skinnier were even close in age Let me tell you another toughie I figured out tonight when you cook for the evil ones not on the diet right....how in the heck do you not "test" the food for salt and seasonings without cheating?????This is a difficult task...My dog is gonna be eating in his glory tonight even though he shouldn't he's evil too. Hey question how far is Lakes Region from Newbury? I have abrother there........see ya soon.........
  #85   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 04:18
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%

hi newbees and hi mekcob

you wrote

"Thank you for providing a message board for newbies like myself. I am following the Atkins Diet. I am a bit confused as to how to measure ketosis. I purchased Clinistix to test my urine, but am not sure as to the color match I should be shooting for. Could you help me with this question? Thanks so much!"

forgive me if my info isn't correct i am a newbee also, but while reading in different forums i came across an entry by an experienced lc er who wrote that the middle color was good the darker color may just be indicating that you aren't getting enough water. this person went on to say that the ketostix dosen't distinguish between fat you may have just eaten or fat that was stored.

i tryed to locate and copy here but couldn't find that post. if i do locate it again i'll post a link

i am an oldie who hasn't lost anything yet but then i take a diarretic for bp everyday so water is constantly being eliminated
and apparently increases resistance to loosing fat
but i am feeling good about following this way of eating as a life plan
talkercise

I FOUND THIS ARTICLE HELPFULL

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/carbsmart/kandd.html

Last edited by talkercise : Wed, May-21-03 at 06:01.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 05:19

BF:
Default tristesas

Hi, Newbury isn't to far, but I am not sure about just how far it is from me.

I just taught my first basket class yesterday, ( I have taught only relatives before) and there were 18 students. All age 55 and up. That was way too many students at once for me. I had my home schooler (7th grade) be my help, thank goodness, because it was very hectic. But we survived, 3 hours later than we were suppose to end. We made it late to his ballgame, hungry and tired. I was sort of stressed for a few days hoping I had enough materials, etc. We had just barely enough materials! With errors and such.

So hopefully with that behind us I can do this Atkins dieting without overeatting. Not on the carbs part but the calories consumed.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:13

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 138/138/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question new here, where is here???

I am trying to introduce myself. Seems quite lonely now. Everyone has thier own journal and I feel rude just poping in when they all sound like such good friends. Maybe that is the only to get going in this site.
I am looking to see if the LC diet really works. I would like to loose a few pounds and eat healthier. I also have been dating someone whom is a type 1 diabetic for over 20yrs and starting to have kidney prob.s. I would really love to find out what I can cook for him, what we both can eat. I also have a 5 yr old daughter whom is just lovely, but I do not want her to be picked on like I was for being 'chunky' when I was smaller.(she is by no means 'chunky' now!) I just want to start making sure we all eat healthy.
Let's see if this works!
  #88   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:18

BF:
Default hi

I am learning about how to get around on this website also. It doesn't matter who you write too in whose journal. That way we get to talk, etc. about whatever.

Personally I haven't seen the scale move much but I can tell I have lost some weight because of the way my pants fit. I used to be able to lose well on the low carb diet when I was a teenager, that was so long ago.

I have been on weight watchers for over 1 1/2 years doing low fat stuff and now I am doing the opposite. I guess my body needs to get used to the change and I also think I am consuming to many calories while staying in the low carb range. I am working on that. It is hard when I am home and able to eat whenever. I am homeschooling a teenager, which is stressful and I am a stress eatter, sometimes I eat when I'm bored or just eat out of routine. Like I said I need to work on all of that stuff.

This diet should be good for a diabetic. I don't know what to say about the kidney problems. I would make sure that there was a discussion with your boyfriends doctor, so that all is safe and okay while on this diet. My dad was a diabetic and he stayed away from white breads, anything refined a lot because it would break down fast in the body.

Just cutting out the white bread, potatoes, sweets and all has made me feel so much better. I was and am a carb addict and whenever I did lowfat I was always hungry. Constantly hungry. When you are so near to your goal weight, regardless of what diet you do, it always takes awhile. When you have alot to lose like myself it ususally comes off fast in the beginning then slows down.

Just by starting your own journal, hopefully someone will also write in it. Like I said I am learning about his website still.
  #89   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 09:13

Stats: 133.5/123/112 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Greetings from London!

I started the Atkins plan on Sunday 25 May after reading in the Times here that Dr Atkins' theory is correct. It is so sad that he isn't here now to tell so many sceptics "I told you so!" isn't it? A few months ago we had a programme here on the TV where Dr Atkins was interviewed by one of our rather aggressive consumer journalists. The journalist was very dismissive of the evidence, but Dr Atkins remained charming throughout!

I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 4lbs. I have been floating around all day! I have been 20lbs overweight for about three years and tried to lose it to no avail. I love Dr Atkins! My husband can't believe I've finally got the scale to move.

I am terribly thirsty, is that usual? I am drinking 6-8 pints (Imperial = 20oz), this seems excessive. Although perhaps my kidneys are grateful for the flushing.

Some days I have had fewer than 20g carbs - will this slow weight loss? Ketostix this morning showed 'moderate' ketones (the darker of the two pink).

I had Coronation Chicken and salad for lunch today and I will post this recipe as it was yummy. I also have an avocado that needs eating and remember a fab smoothy drink I had in Indonesia made with avocado and coconut. Will try to reproduce it and then post it. I am assuming avocados are allowed during Induction? I had half an avocado with prawns in sauce Marie Rose yesterday. My dog had what I couldn't finish. I know, she'll eat all sorts of things!

Many thanks to the founders of this forum.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:50
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello to all the newbies who've posted here!

How about starting your own thread in this forum to introduce yourself? That way you'll get more replies, as not a lot of the "oldbies" read this particular thread.

And do look around this great forum. Click on anything you fancy, and do post often so we get to know you.

Cheers!

Rosebud