Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 07:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/151/125
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Introduction (finally!!!!!)

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking here for a long, long time. I couldn't get in when I first registered and I haven't had time since. My name is Joan (cecile is my middle name) and I am 50 years old and the mother of one adopted daughter, Ellie, who is 9. All my life I have had a small weight problem but to me it was big because I hated myself. During high school everone was skinny and I wasn't. I became a flight attendant and was on weight check for 5 years!!! Talk about humiliating. Then I discovered running and for several years I was OK. Women my age started gaining from babies and I didn't so they all caught up to me. I was pretty OK with myself until three years ago. I got breast cancer and the chemo treatment and subsequent tamoxifen put 20 pounds on me. Also, the chemo sent me through menopause in one month. I have tried everything to lose just 10 of those pounds and nothing has worked. I play hard tennis 3 - 4 times a weeks and work out with weights when I have time (which isn't often). I have known for a long time that I should get off sugar but it has been impossible. I have read every low carb book out there and could never last more than a day without sugar. I have read several journals (Nat, Marlaine(sp?), Homegirl, Not). I feel like I know you all. Anyway, Monday it finally clicked and I used everything you all have offered in the way of advice. So, TODAY IS DAY 5 OF NO SUGAR!!!!! I have been following Atkins induction but I think I will move to Protein Plan. I really want to eat healthy more than anything. I know the tamoxifen will make it hard for me to lose but Dr. Susan Love, author of the Breast Book told me that low carb might work for me. So, I am off on the adventure. I started using fitday and I will start a journal Monday. So, it is nice to finally "meet" you all. Joan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 10:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome abaord Joan,

That's an interesting comment from your doctor. Was her comment made in person, or was it part of her book? We love intelligent doctors here

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/151/125
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile

My first reply, how exciting!!!

I emailed Dr. Love about my weight gain problem. She states in her book (in so many words) that gaining weight during chemo is the ultimate insult to injury. I mean, we have been through enough, do we have to gain weight too? But she never said why so I emailed to ask why I gained during chemo (wouldn't you think at least I would lose then?) and why so many women gain on tamoxifen. She emailed back that I gained during chemo because of the anti nausea drugs (no complaint there ) and no one know why we gain on tamoxifen. I have seen breast cancer survivors gain 40 to 50 pounds on it. Anyway, then she said that I might try cutting down on carbs because women who are through menopause seem to lose better that way. Cool huh?
Cecile
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 20:28

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%
Default Hi Cecile

I really enjoyed and admired your introduction and found much in it with which I could identify.

I suspect that I rarely went a day without eating some form of simple sugar: i.e. junk food.

I felt that I needed it: After all, Ben and Jerry were the BEST therapists going! Peanut butter cups were a form of religion to me.

BUT I finally did it. I have not had any simple sugars since early in April; I won't say it was easy at first but I will say that the cravings disappeared rather quickly.

Good luck; I know that you can do it!

Natalie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Welcome

Hello Cecile

Glad you decided to join us. I know you will get great support here. I never could have done so well with out this forum. There is so much here. I like the recipes and helpful insights of the mentors.

Don't worry about the cravings. They will subside. I believe if you could make it thought breast cancer you will do great with your desire to lose weight.

Best wishesh, Angelfish
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 23:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Welcome

Hello Cecile

Glad you decided to join us. I know you will get great support here. I never could have done so well with out this forum. There is so much here. I like the recipes and helpful insights of the mentors.

Don't worry about the cravings. They will subside. I believe if you could make it though breast cancer you will do great with your desire to lose weight.

Best wishes, Angelfish
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/132/120 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi my name is Jasmine. I am 25 years old and I live in Sunny Florida. I began at 5' 7 and 138 lbs. I have been active all of my life, and have never been able to drop the extra 10 pounds. I was working out 5 days a week ( burning no less than 700 calories at the gym at each work out) eating right, working with a personal trainer...and still could only maintain my weight. I was so discouraged until finally a friend introduced me to the Atkins diet. Within 2 months I lost the 10 pounds! I have maintained this weight for 7 months. Now I only go to the gym twice a week for those vigorous workouts, and I am always satisfied with my meals. This diet is truly amazing! I get to eat like a Queen, I am full and satisfied, and the best part - I have finally lost the weight! Good luck everyone!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 23:31

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%