Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-20-06, 22:36

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 276/241/199 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default PSMF--Anyone else on this?

HI!
Im a Low-Carb Newbie, but I'm not doing Atkins. Im on a Protein Sparing Modified Fast(PSMF)...its Doctor prescribed and medically monitored. Which means, I'm taking a bunch of vitamin suppliments and Ketone testing daily and having my blood drawn and tested every 2 weeks to make sure everything is running smoothly. I'd really like to meet people who are also on the PSMF.

What is a Protein Sparing Modified Fast?
Basically, Im tricking my body into starvation mode (only 600 calories per day), but I am eating JUST ENOUGH protein where my body WILL NOT eat my muscle mass, only the FAT. So basically, ALL of my energy is coming from the fat I am burning, because I not eating enough carbs to supply outside energy to burn.

ONLY 600 CALORIES! Thats Crazy!
Well, I've talked to a few people at the doctor's office and they feel fine and NOT at all hungry. This one woman who is MY age lost 72lbs in 16 weeks. She said, the only discomfort she had was the first few days while the body was trying to adjust and get into Ketosis.

Ketosis.
It when your body is converting fat into energy. I have to pee on a test strip every day to make sure Im on it. When your on Ketosis, you're not hungry. Like, when your starving at lunch time, but you skip lunch anyway and after a bit your hunger pains stop. But being Low Carbers, you all know that.

How much weight do you have to lose?
Well, normally I would be embarrassed to expose my weight in public, but I feel really confident that I will lose it ANYWAY! So why not? Im 234lbs.... I have to get down to 140. Thats about 96lbs to drop.

Why PSMF?
I needed to do something about my weight. I ate bad most of my life plus heart desease and cancer runs in my family. I was feeling physically and mentally horrible. My husband and I got seperated and I had funky things going on with my "cycle". I went to the doctor's one day and did a FULL physical. When the results came back, it was BAD! So the Doctor referred me to my weightloss doctor. I got to meet many of her patients and talk with them about the diet and how much weight they lost. It was dramatic weightloss and it was safe! So I'm gonna do it!

I've been on PSMF for about 3 days now. I've hit moderate Ketosis and have been weighing my food for correct portions. I'm only taking in 600 calories, but so far I feel GREAT, not hungry and even my mood has improved! I think vitamins and all the water helps ALOT. I thought it would take alot of disapline to do this diet...but I actually find weighing my food fun. =)

I will try to post on here as often as I can, I really like the My P.L.A.N, but my main journal is www.xanga.com/doSOMETHINGabout_it. I update it everyday with my FULL days menu and notes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 18:39
Registered Member

Stats: 265/201.6/135 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I am. How are you doing?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Standard Keto
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6 FT 1 IN
BF:33/33/16
Progress: 0%

PSMF can be great.. I'm familiar with it. Knew someone who had lost a TON of weight with this diet. I don't recommend it for most, but can be pretty successful.

My only fear of the diet is going back to normal foods..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 08:55
Registered Member

You may wish to start a new thread!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 10:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I split the other person's Atkins post out.

I have to point out that we don't support proprietary diet plans. Here's more info. If you're interested in low carb as a lifestyle, do stick around.

I've done PSMF, but it's not something I'd do for more than a few days, and only in a case of deadline weight loss. Ultimately, you can't fool your body into thinking it's not being malnourished. Who would want to, if you could get virtually identical results being satisfied on LC? IMO, life is too short to starve. I could die tomorrow, and there are scrambled eggs and chicken wings to be eaten (while rapidly dropping weight.)

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Aug-17-06 at 10:09.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 14:07
Registered Member

Was the proprietary comment directed to the original poster?

There are other ways to accomplish PSMF long term that DONT require starving ones self. There is a great book out by Lyle Mcdonald.. It's a great read.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro

I was wondering that myself b/c I learned about the plan from the American Society of Bariatrics Physicians. Of course, they recommend that you go through one of their MD's but you can easily do this plan with whole food from the grocery store, and there is plenty of information on the net just for the searching. I am not on a physician monitored plan.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 06:31
Registered Member

Agreed. PSMF is nothing proprietary. It's a diet style, not a trademarked name..
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 09:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpiro

Yes. The concept of PSMF is fine for discussion here, but if the details of the plan are basically a paid clinic type of thing, like the Dr Bernstein clinics in Canada, we don't support it here for the reasons stated in the link above.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-06, 17:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the clarification.