Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-12, 19:26
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Coconut-Apricot Candy

Coconut-Apricot Candy
Yet another pleasant way to incorporate coconut oil into your daily routine. It's delicious and easy to make! NO COOKING REQUIRED!

I took as my inspiration for this candy the coconut filling portion of Julie Bauer’s Coconut Klondike Bites at her PaleOMG website. Here's her original recipe for anyone interested in the chocolate version as well: http://paleomg.com/coconut-klondike-bites/. I added almond extract to the coconut filling and used BOTH coconut cream and coconut butter in mine. I also don’t like chocolate as much as I like fruit, so I made my candy without a chocolate layer. Instead I just sandwiched a bit of dried, unsweetened apricot between two layers of the coconut base filling. Dried peaches would also work in this candy, but you’d have to cut those into probably 6 pieces (perhaps more), as some brands they are considerably larger than apricots. Be sure you are using, no-sugar-added fruit and that ALL your ingredients are at room temperature so the coconut oil stays soft while you stir these up. This candy is suitable for OWL Atkins phase and above, as well as Paleo/Primal followers.

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. dessicated, unsweetened coconut (room temperature)
½ c. coconut cream (I used Wilderness Family Naturals)
¼ c. coconut butter (I used Artisana)
½ c. coconut oil (room temperature or liquid)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
12 dried apricots, unsweetened, pitted, torn in halves (I get mine at Sam’s)
Optional: sweetener of your choice (I used 2 pkts. stevia)
Optional: pecan halves or whole almonds to top

DIRECTIONS: Make sure your dessicated coconut, if you keep it in the freezer as I do, is at room temperature and that your coconut oil is also, better yet, liquid. I did not and my coconut oil instantly got hard on me and I had to wait 30 minutes to finish making my candy. Duh. Another coconut oil lesson learned.

In a medium mixing bowl, place the coconut and coconut butter. Fork them together. Stir the extracts into the coconut oil and add. Also add the coconut cream at this time and blend all with your fork until it is smooth. Place 24 candy paper/foil liners in a mini-muffin pan (or use silicon candy molds/cups if you have them). Using a measuring teaspoon, scoop out 1 tsp. coconut filling into each candy cup. This will use up half your filling. Using a plastic glove or a sandwich baggie, press the filling evenly into the cups with your fingers. Place an apricot half on each piece of candy. Again using your measuring teaspoon, scoop another teaspoon of the coconut filling on top of the apricot pieces. With a plastic glove, press that evenly down onto the candy. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and ENJOY! As with most low-carb candies, keep refrigerated until ready to eat, or the coconut oil will melt in your hands. Press an almond or pecan half into the tops if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 24 pieces, each contains (not including any nuts on top):

111 calories
10.8 g fat
4.09 g carbs, 1.55 g fiber, 2.54 g NET CARBS
.62 g protein
9.92 mg sodium
70.2 mg potassium
<10% all other macronutrients
Sponsored Links