Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Molten Chocolate Cake

Long before I started doing low-carb again, my wife and I fell in love with this recipe for Molten Chocolate Cake. I decided to see if I could make it low-carb and get similar oozy results. I've only tried it once so far, but we had great success. We made a half-recipe, with certain substitutions. Here's what we did:

Ingredients
Makes 2 servings
1/4 cup unsalted butter, plus more to butter the molds (0g)
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate (3g)
1 egg (.6g)
1 egg yolk (.6g)
4 tbsp Erythritol (0g)
14 drops Kal Stevia extract (0g)
1 teaspoon flour [3g flour] (1.5g carbs)

Carbs per serving: approx 3

Method*
In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted. While that's heating, beat together the eggs, yolks, erythritol, and Stevia with a whisk or electric beater until light and thick.*

Beat together the melted chocolate and butter; it should be quite warm. Pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour, just until combined.

Heavily butter and very lightly flour two 4-ounce molds, custard cups, or ramekins. Tap out the excess flour, then butter them again. Divide the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours; bring them back to room temperature before baking.)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Bake the molds on a tray for 7 to 10 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set.

Invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for about 10 seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.
*we actually mixed the chocolate with half of the erythritol and stevia, a conversion to make unsweetened chocolate bittersweet, but I think the eryhtritol would have benefited from the more vigorous mixing done during the whipping stage (which we did in a mixer). Our resulting chocolate was a bit grany, but the liquid seemed pretty smooth until we mixed in the melted chocolate. We also used a single ramekin, because all we had were little 6 oz cast iron ramekins and cooked for 12 minutes rather than 7. Smaller vessels do cook quicker from our experience, but with the larger ramekin, even at 12 minutes, the center was oozier than in the picture.

The taste was spot on, though I noticed a bit of an odd stinginess (from the erythritol maybe?) in my throat while eating it. I might add a touch of vanilla to mellow out the bitterness of the chocolate/stevia in the future, but I'm pretty sure this desert would pass muster with just about any non low-carber.

EDIT: This should probably be moved to sweets, but I don't think I can move it myself.

MOD NOTE: Done.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Apr-25-12 at 05:47. Reason: moved
Sponsored Links