Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 10:12
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default dentistry

I had my teeth cleaned three months ago and another dentist saw my teeth today and said she saw tartar build-up. I thought there was suppose to be almost zero tartar / plaque if you are on a low carb diet?

The Weston A Price thing and all ...

Any dentists or hygeniests in the house?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 10:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I get a lot of it. I wasn't very regular about dentistry in the past so I don't know if LC caused more or if it just stayed about the same. I was going every 4 months for a cleaning but my hygenist just moved me to 6. It didn't really seem all that bad this time. Maybe purging all gluten from my diet helped.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 10:50

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I get more tarter when I take suppliments with calcium and minerals in them. The tarter is usually only concentrated on my lower front teeth. I scrape off my own tarter every week or so. Just takes a minute or two...

I have seen a dramatic reduction in plaque though. Less starch and sugars being broken down by bacteria means less plaque and hopefully fewer cavities
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 11:03
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I get more tarter when I take suppliments with calcium and minerals in them. The tarter is usually only concentrated on my lower front teeth. I scrape off my own tarter every week or so. Just takes a minute or two...

I have seen a dramatic reduction in plaque though. Less starch and sugars being broken down by bacteria means less plaque and hopefully fewer cavities

I do take plenty of supplements and the dentist did mention "tarter" and did NOT mention "Plaque". So may be that is my problem.

Thanks
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:17

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default Spring for an electric toothbrush

Get one of the newer-model good ones. It'll cost you about as much as a cleaning, but the third cleaning a year isn't covered by insurance, so it's a wash the first time you can go back to twice-a-year.

Point: Some smaller percentage of LCers get WORSE teeth after LC. I am one of them. I made NO changes in dental hygiene or supplements, and I overate carby vegetables and fruits, not junk. My hygienist said that whenever someone formerly stable gets suddenly worse, it's LC. I went through two difficult cleanings and then said, "No more" and bought the toothbrush. Back to six months, and clean in between.

Could be that it's the enforced two minutes of brushing. I don't really care. It works for me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 12:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... good to hear the E-brush works. I might just spring for one. I don't even have dental insurance but if it meant for less scraping when it comes to my cleaning, it'd be worth it!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 14:12

BF:
Default It was the scraping that did me in

Something changed in the texture... Cleanings used to be ok, and then with LC they got to be horrible wrestling matches, and it was about a week after a cleaning when I felt the "fuzz" come back. I thought, "Nope, we are NOT going through THAT again!" and went to one of the Big Box stores and walked out with a top-line toothbrush. (If they're running a rebate, check the dates--I had to fight with the store because they put the coupon out too soon and the manufacturer wouldn't honor the rebate.)

It has made a tremendous difference. Because the head is small and round, it has stopped the gum erosion I was noticing, too.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 12:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I have heard that CoQ10 is good for periodontal disease. Anyoe use it for that? I have periodontal problems and wanted opinions before buying it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 07:29
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
I have heard that CoQ10 is good for periodontal disease. Anyoe use it for that? I have periodontal problems and wanted opinions before buying it.

I take at least 100 mg(?) of CoQ10 plus high CoQ10 eggs everyday -- so I'm not sure that will help. But I may be having a tartar problem -- not a plaque problem.

CoQ10 has so many good properties -- I do recommend taking it. Several web sites recommend it for periodontal disease.

I thought the best thing for you was to cut out all sugar and high glycemic foods that generate blood sugar -- i.e. eat a low carb diet.

I'll have to go back and reread Weston A Price book.

http://www.dentalfind.com/glossary/tartar.html
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 07:39

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I will talk to my sister and see if she can find out anything. She is a dental assistant. My next appointment with the periodontist is not until April so maybe I should start taking the CoQ10 now and see if my gums are any better come April.

If I find out anything about plaque, tartar or gums regarding low carb from my sister I will post it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 11:46

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i had a dental cleaning yesterday and the hygenist mentioned a "wall of tartar" i took that to mean it was bad

However, i haven't yet tried the e-toothbrush. I am seriously considering it though. It took double the usual time to get rid of the tartar. No other problems though.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 19:22
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I don't hear anybody flossing????

Flossing??? Daily??? Anybody flossing??
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 07:03

BF:
Default I can floss quietly

Wonder what brand you're using that it would make a sound?

As I said in the first post--my dental hygiene DID NOT CHANGE. I have always been a flosser; we joke about it in the office. (Hygenist thinks insurance should buy electric toothbrushes because they're cheap compared to the cost of dental treatment; I pointed out the cost of floss vs disease and people still don't use it.)

Flossing won't help the changes LC makes in your mouth, presuming you were flossing before and you have one of the body chemistries that make LC worsen your oral health.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 08:34
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Coenzyme Q10, organic oregano oil, and vitamin D are all excellent for oral health and combating and healing gum disease.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-05, 15:19

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i assumed that flossing was automatic....that's why i didn't mention it...BTW, some people just produce more tartar than others, i don't think it's because of poor dental hygiene....