Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125
BF:
Progress:
Question Insulin Reactions

Hi guys,
I was just wondering what the rest of you type 1 diabetics do when your having an insulin reaction. This has really been a hard thing for me to figure out. On the one hand, when my blood sugar is bottoming out at about 30, then I have to do something drastic. But on the other hand, now everything has just become very messed up and I'm having to start out all over again with the induction phase and all that sort of thing.

If anyone has any ideas to share, boy would I appreciate your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 19:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Have you read Dr Bernsteins Diabetic Solution?

My son has insulin resistance not diabetes (yet) so I got this book for the info I could glean about this. I strongly suggest you read it - I can't really paraphrase it here, but in case you haven't read it he place a great deal of emphasis on "small numbers"; that is knowing exactly how much a unit of insulin will lowere your blood sugar, how much a gram of carbs will raise it etc, so you don't get to the point of having dangerously low blood sugar. I realise that his approach requires you to keep a much closer eye on your blood sugar levels (at least initially) but I really think it's the way to go to avoid complications down the road.

I assume you mean that after taking glucose or whatever to correct the low blood sugar, you then feel you should go back on induction. At most I would think this would only have to be for a couple of days, if that. I have to say that if your blood sugar is dropping so low, it sounds as if you're having problems adjusting your insulin requirements to your new low carb life. If you're not taking in the carbs, your insulin requirements would obviously be lower.

Look, I realise that I'm on the outside looking in, and hopefully someone with more "real life" experience will answer this post. I'm sure you know all this stuff anyway, but a really recommend this book!

Jay
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 22:26
jenrnillin

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Good Question!

I am type II, but take several insulin injections per day. I am just beginning the low-carb way of life, and one of my fears is insulin reactions. My present solution is more frequent checks on blood sugar, finding out how my body reacts to types and amounts of foods. And adjusting my short acting insulin when things are too low. But I know that won't be enough, and I am going to be faced with lows; I plan to use the glucose tablets, since they allow a known amount of carbohydrate to be taken. They also prevent me from scarfing down a candy bar as a rationalization for low blood sugar.
Have you talked to your doctor about this?
Good luck; I know how difficult it can be to lose weight on insulin, and how difficult it is to regulate insulin as you lose weight. I guess we'll just have to figure out what works for us!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-01, 01:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up Glucose tablets

Hi Tami,

I hope you are lurking around at this site. The previous advise was excellent. The advantage of glucose tablets is that you will ingest a known amount of fast-acting carbs. This is Bernstein's recommendation.

If you are lurking, please de-lurk!

Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 23:46
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 185/179/145
BF:
Progress: 15%

I am type I and use an insulin pump. One of the replys talked about insulin to carb ratio and correction ratios. I was diabetic for years before I learned this. Once I got on the pump, it became a way of life. Going low can be very difficult to correct and usually results in overcorrecting. For me, my correction ratio is 15 grams of carbs raises my bloodsugar 50 units. In other words, if I am at 50 and I drink a glass of milk, it will raise me to 100. My insulin to carb ratio is 1 unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbs. So If I eat an apple, I need about 1.3 units of insulin(easy on the pump). What I have found, and I was educated in this when I started the pump but never really used it, was the fact that eating large amounts of protein and fat does raise your blood sugar. It dosnt raise your blood sugar high or fast, rather it raises it mildly and for an extended period of time. My pump has a feature that allows me to administer an amount of insulin over an extended period of time. I have found that when I eat my high protein meals, I need to give myself extra insulin over a two hour period. As far as the pump goes, I would highly recommend it. It took me years to finally get one and when I did I was sorry I hadnt done it sooner. I will never give it up. It has changed my life. Best of luck.