Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 391/364/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy please help me

hi all i am new to the pcos thing, i have always had trouble with my monthly but this is the first time that i went to a doctor, well he has never told me yet that i have pcos but he siad that he was sure that i did because of all the trouble that i have,
well the problem that i have is that he put me on some pills that is called PROVERA and its made me gain 3 pounds in 2 days i know that i have not ate nothing that i should not have, and i am worried that if i stay on this med that it will cause me to gain all my weight back also he said that i only had to stay on it for 15 days, sho8ld i call him and say what it is doing to me or just wait it out and loose the weight again,
also he told me that after he gets my hormoans back to the regular way that i have a 98% chance of having a baby, well i am 25 years old and still have troulbe taking care of my self and i dont need a baby that needs me all the time, so what is the best med for the aktins diet that wont make me gain a lot of weight?

thanks for the help
dixie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 04:47

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default dixi

Please don't get discouraged. PCOS is a hard disease to understand and accept. Your doctor is giving you provera to get your periods to start. So the provera will trigger the same thing as if you were going to start your periods. So you will bloat and may have a difference of 5 lbs or more (I used to go between 5-10). But DO NOT WORRY, after your periods are gone, it will go back down. Just keep going on your diet, drink LOTS of water and try to walk or exercise a little bit. Sounds funny but it actually helps.

The other thing I'd like to mention is that your health should always always come first. If you doctor gives you a prescription to help you, and it makes you gain a little weight, but helps the other problem, you may want to ask your doctor if there's another medication he could use in it's place.

I have PCOS and am Low Carbing as well. I've been down that road, so if you have any questions what so ever, please feel free to ask. I love to help if I can.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 19:20
Registered Member

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 391/364/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Post josee

thanks for the help i am waiting untill tomorrow to weigh again and then if i gain some more then monday i am calling him about it, but in the mean time i have started drinking chicken broth for my meals and a little food that seems to help me i feel so full all the time now that i am on these pills so if i drink the broth it seems to help me
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default PCOS

Here is an excellent site all about PCOS, everything you could ever want to know. You are the person who is responsible for your own health, not necessarily the DR. If it is not your plan to conceive right now, then I dont know why he put you on meds to start your period.

INCIID, PCOS

It goes over lots of info about PCOS, obesity etc that is very informative, it helped me a lot.

On another note, make sure youre getting enough calories every day to ensure you dont go into starvation mode. The guide is 10 calories per lb, but I personally CANNOT eat that much food, I eat about 12-15 hundred calories a day and am so far loosing inches, fat percentages (down 3%!!!) 4.5 lbs this week!

Hope this helps!