Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 17:20

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi i'm from Wexford Ireland, new here.

Hi,

My name is Broná, i'm delighted to have some folk from Ireland here because i was worried and confused about how i could convert and substitute American foods.
I'm very new to low carb eating having spent most of my life eating low fat and going nowhere.

I don't know where to start with low carb, i dont want to do Atkins i'm very afraid of all the fat because i have high cholestrol, i have read some of Atkins and i know it says that fat is ok but i'm still scared of it.

Can i start low carb diet without too much fat and still loose weight?

Would appreciate some help, thank you.

Broná
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 07:05

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Brona,
You could try one of the high protein diets - as far as I know, they concentrate on the so-called 'good' fats (poly and monunsaturates). The best thing to do is read as many of the books as you can and forge your own path to suit yourself and your health concerns.
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 10:30

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you Babs.

Many thanks for your reply Babs.

Broná
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 01:27
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Hi, a Yank here poking my nose in. Just wanted to let you know that there is a great potential with low-carb eating to tailor a diet to suit your special needs and lifestyle. That's a big part of why it's the only way I even consider turning when I'm ready to drop weight.

If you prefer a low-carb low-fat diet, be aware from the outset that it will be more rigorous than the more typical Atkins approach.

A very good book on the subject, and one that suggests lower fat consumption as well as emphasis on the `good' fats is Protein Power.

Also, do educate yourself on the cholesterol issue before you make a final decision. I am 49, very overweight, and have a cholesterol count in the 130'ies, with a great ratio.

I eat eggs daily, usually cooked in butter with bacon and cheese, red meat as desired, and treat myself to berries and heavy cream on a regular basis. I know this is a very individual thing, but I"m just offering this up as an example that fat is not necessarily the enemy here.

Good luck, and commendations on having the courage to look beyond the LF bandwagon. It works for some, but clearly it's not for everyone.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 02:14

Plan: Sandra Cabot
Stats: 198/181/132 Female 5ft 5in
BF:Too Much
Progress: 26%

Hi
I'm from Australia and have been here before, lost 30lbs and kept it off for 1.5 yrs, got lazy and put 25lbs back on in 6mths, now I'm here to loose it all again.
You will find heaps of support here and great advise from many sourses. I go low carb, low fat eating alot of fish and salad, vegs and trimming the meat. It worked for me and I even went to the Dr cause it was coming off so fast.(Something that had never happened before, ever) Did tests and everything was perfect. Oh I walked 40min every day to. (that helps) Stupid to put it all on again but at least it can come off, I know that now.
Good luck, your in the right place to learn and loose.
Neenz
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 04:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broná
I don't know where to start with low carb, i dont want to do Atkins i'm very afraid of all the fat because i have high cholestrol, i have read some of Atkins and i know it says that fat is ok but i'm still scared of it.
Broná

Hullo Broná,

Actually there has been a whole lot of rubbish fed to us for the last few years about fat. Fat is actually our friend, and it is what we need as energy on this way of eating.

Do read the information here, especially about cholesterol: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/skinny.html
There's a lot of solid information now, proving that fat is not harmful - unless it is combined with sugars.

You might also look at our Cholesterol forum, to see that many of us have greatly improved our cholesterol readings by eating a diet high in fat.

Having said that, you don't have to do Atkins if you don't want to. There are many other perfectly good low carb plans. Why not have a look at the summaries in "Plans" on the green menu bar at the very top of the screen?

All the best.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 18:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/245/150 Male 5-7"
BF:
Progress: 4%

hi brona
i read your introduction and it has some of the same concern's i have , i got a very bad cholestrol report from the doc on monday and i am trying to drop out the eggs and cheese and see if that helps , i don't want to be the fittest corpse in the grave yard Gunner
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 08:52

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you all.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the help. My cholestrol is always high but did reduce it a bit before Atkins, i never thought of getting it checked first but will have it checked in a couple of months and i can assure you if my cholestrol has lowered Atkins is working for me will let you all know.

Broná