Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-01-06, 09:40

Plan: Low Carb for LIFE
Stats: 160/160/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Binging!!!

Hi there...

I am starting this thread for people who have binging problems like I do....I feel its important to vent about it...since it is an Eating Disorder as well...and even though many people such as myself..vent in their journals...i wanted to share it with others..and let others share their stories as well..

I suffered from anorexia for a very short period..maybe two months...and it was because I was away from home with relatives....I don't know what triggered it..but anyway..i lost a ton of weight in those two months...and when returning back home...i went back to eating..out of fear my parents would find out...so..i started to binge...as if i would NEVER see food again...and ever since i have had a problem with food and weight....i would binge until i felt like i wanted to throw up....the only thing that stopped me from throwing up was that i didn't know how to do it.....

Atkins has been the ony approach that helps with binging...I can easily eat well without overdoing it..and feel satisfied...and not stuff myself...

I have started a challenge to lose weight with other buddies on here..and started a journal...and alos have workout buddies..hoping that all that will hlep with my weight loss...but i still have mental issues with food and such...and feel that i am constantly obsessing about food..and worrying about what i am going to eat..and how much i will eat..and then panic that i might eat too much....I dont' want to do that anymore...cuz even though iam on atkins...I still worry that the days will come where i fall in the hole again..

WEll...please feel welcome to share your stories with me..I would love to listen..learn...and relate to others..since people who don't have these problems...have NO idea what its like....they think it that easy to just stop eating when u should....or not worry about it food and such.....I have come to see that only people who go through it can understand....so...

Hope to hear from you soon...

casandra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-06, 20:46

Plan: Meat and Egg
Stats: 219/219/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Default Desperate for binging answers!

I am so glad I found your thread! I was about to start one of my own and ask if anyone else goes through this and if they seeked any professional counseling for it. The last couple of months have been terrible for me. I eat till I feel sick then I eat more. I am disgusted with myself and I don't really know how to fix it. I can remember as a young child obsessing over food. I was always a bigger girl...never fat but always bigger than the rest of the kids "big boned" is what I remember the adults always saying about me. I went through a time when I would throw up after binging then there was also a time when I starved myself to lose some weight to get my boyfriend back...lost the weight but never got the guy back! But anyway...I just have always had a problem with food. I am now overweight since I had my two beautiful children (15 months apart!!!) Just now as I am writing this, I have stuffed myself so full of icecream, crackers, chocolate covered granola bars, more crackers with meat and cheese melted on top...I could go on and on, and I feel sick. I'm in need of help. I was doing really well on the atkins/M&E at the beginning of the summer. I had lost 31 pounds. Of course even then I would have my slip ups and when I slipped I REALLY slipped. I would grab anything and everything I ever thought of in the last week or so that I had a craving for and I would stuff it in my mouth. I would think well I screwed up already I mine as well make it worth it! Who thinks like that??? Well I do and I really need help for it. Since then I have gained about 15 pounds back. I feel like my life revolves around food and it is really taking over. It sucks ya know, if I was a drug addict or wanted to quit smoking I could just quit cold turkey, but my drug of choice is food and I can't just quit cold turkey...sucks! Well I know I really need to jump back on the wagon and try again, but am I really ready? I don't want to start again until my mind is in the right state of mind...I don't want to start following again and quit by that afternoon just to find myself polishing off 2 medium sized pizzas again...(sick I know!) Does anyone know if this is normal? Do a lot of people go through this retardedness???(Is that even a word?) I just need to know if this is something that I can get counseling for, or do I have to live like this the rest of my life. I just don't know how much more of this "out of control feeling" I can take. I love this site but I have not been on for about 2 months. My friends are wondering where I got to! I've been too embarassed to write in my journal. I hope someone on this site can help me and maybe we could help each other get through those terrible moments that only each of us understands. I know that no one in my family understands why I can't stop after the first helping. Both of my older sisters are thin they have never had a problem with their weight. My mom understands a bit, she's so cute she always tells me that God gave me big boobs and a beautiful face and that I should be happy with that! Gotta love her! Anyway...I pray no one else is going through this but if you are I hope we can help each other!

Kerri
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-06, 08:34

BF:

Kerri...

I am soo Glad you posted a reply on this thread...I was going to give up on it..I started it..and either no one has an interest in giving their opinion, or that nobody on here is going through it..

I can understand totally and completely what you mean..and even though usually I binge on healthy foods...i just eat BIG portions..and don't realize i am full until AFTER I finish it all..and then start feeling sick....it IS pathetic...

I have not seeked counseling or anything....I just think I can solve this on my own..have no idea how...but i know there is a way...WHERE there is a WILL ..there is a WAY...u know..

I was hoping to find people who suffer from there like i do...and hope we can walk each other through it..and even if its day by day..thats fine..as long as we help each other to prevent binging form happening....
Many people who are on diets...or workout programs and such...if they ever feel lazy..or feel they will fall off the wagon...they just come on here...and get support..or write in their journal..as a way to distract them..or get them back on track...and help them say to themselves.."you know..I CAN do this"...

If you would like..we could be buddies...If you ever FEEl like binging..just come on here...and post..vent...talk about it....get it out of your system...and keep a promise to yourself that you are not going to make your body a garbage can...and the same goes for me..(it is sooooo much easier SAID than DONE)....I feel I have all the tools and positive attitude to help myself..but don't know how to apply them...and it seems that i always manage to help others with their issue..but stuck with mine..

Let me know what u want to do..we could either do this? or get intouch by email or chat...

I don't want to sound desperate...But ENOUGH is ENOUGH...and I am willing to do wahtever it takes to get my life back in control..and I am sure you are as well..

GOOOOOD luck with everything..and keep replying....myself and this forum are here for you!!!

Best Wishes.
casandra
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-06, 10:23

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I know that "out of control" feeling very well. You might want to check into food allergies & intolerances. Things like even "legal" portions of grains, soy, dairy proteins and food additives were causing me cravings that precipitated binges. Getting rid of them got the diet/craving/binge monster off my back (it had been there for 35 years) and made my relationship with food "normal" for the first time since I was a kid. I don't need willpower to control what I eat and I don't get the urge to binge on carbs when emotional. As long as I avoid these things, I only want the amount of food that I need, like a "normal person" or infant. The foods you crave & binge on are typically the ones you are allergic, intolerant or sensitive to.

Books that helped me find and cure the true cause of my disordered eating are:
The False Fat Diet by Elson Haas MD (a cheap, easy read to start with; I found the rest in my public library)
Dangerous Grains by James Braly MD & Ron Hoggan
The complete guide to understanding and relieving your food allergies by William E. Walsh MD
Food allergies & food intolerance by Jonathan Brostoff MD & Linda Gamlin

Getting my fat intake up and eliminating grains was what made it possible for me to lose & maintain my weight effortlessly this time (I am a 35 yr veteran of trying - and failing - to lose weight and maintain it by restricting fats & eating "wholesome" grains).

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Sep-04-06 at 11:03.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-06, 08:13

BF:

diedra..

Hey there..thanks for posting....

I agree with the fact that upping fat and eliminating grains has done it for me...I am soooooooo happy with my eating routine now....and like i said...it the only way to keep my eating under control...so..i am stikcing to it....

for sure there are some days wehre i crave the bad stuff...oh my gosh do i crave them sometimes...but...i just simply remember how they make me feel..and that does it....

I hope those who need to talk about ED will come here to post...it helps to get stuff out..and make it a part of history..rather thankeeping it with you..

Yahoooo

Casandra
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-06, 19:40

BF:

Hey guys! Plan on getting back on plan this Monday coming. I'll need all the support I can get from ya'll! Wish me luck! I know I can do this. I just need support from this site and I need to remember how good I felt when I was on plan. I FELT AMAZING and I can't say that any low fat diet has ever made me feel so good. I know what you mean Casandra and Dierdra about having that control feeling when you eliminate those carbs. I remember that feeling and I am craving that feeling right now!!! I'll keep in touch

TTFN
Kerri
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 00:22

BF:

desp2lose..

Glad you found us.....You will get the support and motivation you need...i see ur doing the meat and eggs program...i am actually kinda doing it now as well...i was doing atkins...but had my "one golden shot"...and started to stall...so i reduced my carbs to 10...but coming from eggs and cheese and meats....and have seen GREAT results..

Just to know..what is the meat and eggs thing? I didn't think anyone did it..i came up with it on my own...so..what are the rules for the meat and eggs approach??

Keep posting.

Casandra
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 00:54

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

Hey, i recently gainned 80 pounds from binging and would like a place to vent. Coming back
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 04:55

BF:

jamaicaker..

WElcome..and please come on to chat anytime...I know it helps to let it out..and for many...is the cure...

what is ur eating plan like?

keep intouch.

casandra
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 07:01
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hey, I'd like to join you guys. I wrote in my journal last night about feeling horrible because of my binging. I am considering going to an Overeater's Anonymous meeting next week because I am becoming a bit desperate.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 10:23

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

Well...where to start. I was not a big girl but in hs after an incident with an awlful date I began to binge and purge. I didn't eat huge amounts but I would plan for it! After too years I stopped the behavior and gained weight. Since I have been on the thin side but always wanted to lose just 5lbs etc...

My weight crept up over the years and after ea child it was harder to lose. One thing that I have noticed...if I have an all or nothing thinking it sets me up for a binge. I have one thing then feel like "oh well what is the use I might as well ejoy this and this and this" Then the guilt comes then sometimes a purge sometimes not (usually not)

I was on CAD and you would think that a reward meal would set me up for a binge...at first my RM's were large and I felt like oh I only have one hour I need to eat everything I can...after about a week or two that feeling went away and I was able to eat slowly and enjoy my food. Sometimes I get that thinking back of the panic so I switch plans to allow for some fruit or cereal so I don't feel deprived...that has really made a difference for me!

Getting rid of the thought of "oh I failed, and All or nothing" has helped me so very much!!! I try to keep on the lower carb side to avoid cravings but allow myself some extras.

I am glad you started this thread. I know it is a problem for so many...I thin OA would be great. They don't have one here where I live though.

Kerri...loved what your mom said!!! hee hee. I am trying to accept myself as a fullfigured girl. You know that has really helped me. I have bought new clothes that fit well and look good on me at the weight I am right now. It is several sizes bigger than I was several years ago but I have decided that that is going to be ok. Some days are easier than others. (LIke when I see a really thin co-worker!!!!) But I just tell myself it is ok to be a chubby little women (I am 5ft) My dh likes me the way I am so who else do I have to please but me? I am telling myself that I need to focus of eating well, moving more and doing situps So far it is working. (AND I lost 4 lbs!)

Deirdra, I agree about the intolerances!!! I see that certain foods make me retain water!!! I try to watch which grains I eat (if any) and eat fruit as my carb. I also have to watch milk...I do eat yogurt and take probiotics and that has helped too!!!!

Good to meet all of you
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-09-06, 11:52
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

I was on Amazon looking around and typed in the word "binge" and several books dedicated to unhealthy binge eating came up.

I wonder if anyone has read anything regarding this type of disordered eating?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-06, 13:35

BF:

klc145..

WElcome to the thread...sorry it took me a while to "welcome you"..busy with college...very busy with it..heheh..but thats a good thing...

anyway, i think its a good idea to go to that class...if they gave classes where i am..i would attend as well....I have never spoken to anybody about my problem...except on here....i have mentioned to my family that i don't have the ability to eat in moderation....and even used the word "binge"..but they just shake their heads..and say..No..u have no problem...and to be honest...weight wise..i do not have a problem...I am fine right where i am....to them anyway....but for me...with my dream and wish of being a personal trainer/nutritionist...i have to figure out my issues..and sort them...and help my body get to where it needs to be in terms of health....
Right now..my studies are for medical school...so...study study study...and i do not workout as much as I would LIKE to...i do kick-boxing martial arts aerobics with weights for an hour every single day.....i also work as a part time secretory for the Master's Program at my college...and i am on my feet..plus walking around campus from class to class from 8 am until 5 or 6 pm....i get my one hour of "aerobics" after i get home..around 10 or 11 pm....i usually also do aerobics classes at the uni..i run my own program...and in about a month..i will be starting classes..for at least 2 times a week...due to my limitations on time....not enough hours in the day.....
SOOO..if it were up to me...I would workout all day..train...go go go..i could do it...but there is soo much to do....with the studying..there is no time to jump around like i want.. (smile)..

I think that my want to become what i want to become..and my inability to do so has pushed me to do things the wrong way to hurry the process of losing body fat...and going down in pounds..by developing an ED....I KNOW i can do what it takes to be what i want to be.....but how cani do that when my study comes first.....i am not confused..beucase i know waht i want..i am frustrated...beucase i can't have it!!

Well..guess i have spoken/typed enough...hope it wasen't too long for yall..

please feel free to comment and give ur opinion...i would greatly appreciate it.

Casandra
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-06, 20:02

BF:

I'm so glad to see this thread is taking off!! I haven't been around lately as I am back to work full time and still trying to be a great mom and cook and clean...you know all that stuff!!! I really don't have time right now either as I finally have some alone time with my hubby. But I hope to take some time soon and catch up with you all.

Take care and I'll talk to you all soon!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 03:20

Plan: .............
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 29%

hey guys this is a good thread, my stories similar im 19 now, always was a bit of a "big boned" girl after 10 really it was my grandmother overfeeding me, i think from the age of 5 i started to feel comfort in food after being taken from my mom by the social services than there were huge custody battles between my mother and grandmother, my granma won i got fatter than at 15 my mom saved me when my grandmother had a hip injury and i was 5'3 and a very plump 225, i finally grew to 5'8 now my mom used low carb to get me down but in 12th grade i got obsessed when i moved back with my grandmother, id eat 1200 calories a day and do at least 90min cardio, i was lost with being skinnny, i was 145 but it looks really thin on me i think i carry so much muscle naturally, and so it was unhealthy because of eating only 1200 cal and so i started bingeing on fri or sat it was always once a week but it was like i couldnt make it more than 1.5 week than i learned how to purge after high school, im still battling my bingeing and purging i tried getting help but it hasnt helped, i feel so helpless, i got out of the navy in jan because of emotional issues i was thin and happy than i balloned up to 175 from binging now im 165 i think im getting better i wished i stop binging because than i purge...i still want to reach my goal of 140 though but i wasnt this to stop, thanks for reading keep the thread going and low carb is definately the best way to go just never get so obsessed you binge...