Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 13:53
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissie_12
I'm here! I battle depression and am on wellbuterin. One thing I've noticed is after I'm on LC for a while the depression seems to slack way off! Two years ago while on LC (should have stayed on LC), I stopped taking my meds. and did just fine. I really believe what I eat effects me more than I ever realized.

Lots of compassion for everyone that suffers and I pray all of you see benefits from your new woe.

Cissie

I have an appointment with my doctor next week for my depression. I'm hoping he'll go the wellbutrin route for several reasons - I know quite a few people that its worked for, including myself in the past - I used it to quit smoking before - but I didn't actually keep taking it long enough and started again a couple months after quitting - but I do remember that I didn't get in my "funks" when I was on it. I felt more rounded. This is the first time in my life that I have ever really felt depressed. Like to the point where I can't just drag myself out of it. I've had those downtimes before but it was just kicking my own butt and moving on that did it. Now I just don't even have the energy to think about it. I just feel like I'm on a downward spiral and its scary.
I never wanted to put myself in the position that my mother has put herself in. 300 lbs overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, depression, bleeding ulcers, chronic pancreatitis, her teeth rotting out of her face, and more - just because of how she eats. I'm so afraid of that. I've never had a suicidal thought - and I'm nowhere near that point - I can't imagine being there - this is scary enough- just feeling like not getting up and go to work, just wanting to lay in bed all day - yet all the while KNOWING that its not what I really want - that I want to get up, work out, eat a healthy breakfast, sing along with the radio on the way to work like I used to - work hard all day and come home and work out etc. I used to live such a full life. I used to feel empty if I didn't do all that. Now I feel like there's just no hope for me and that I'm just always going to be like this. It used to be that, if I ever said something was hopeless, I'd stop myself mid-sentence and change my ways immediately. I didn't do that this time - I couldn't for some reason. I just don't know why. That's the hardest part for me. yeah, I'm under a lot of stress - and I've got more excuses than a sophomore skipping school. I'm trying to at least stay on track food-wise for a while - exercise just doesn't seem to work for me these days. Right now I'm thinking about it - that I'll workout this evening an hour or so after dinner. But then that time comes and I'm too lethargic to move off the couch. I've resorted to eating when people aren't looking. To putting off my diet till the next day. To making excuses that the place that serves healthy food was too busy so I'll order pizza instead. I don't even like the pizza I ordered! Then I stuffed myself completely with it. I'm scared because its never been like this. I've always been able to pull myself out of the funk. Now its not a funk - its just how I feel all the time.
My 'girly problems' have also gotten worse. I know that part of it is due to me regaining weight and lack of exercise. The other part is just medically occuring - its what happens when you have endometriosis. The pain progresses. Could I do something to stave it off a bit? Perhaps. Getting my butt back in gear and eating right and working out would definitely help. Would it cure it? Nope. But it would probably keep me from being in so much pain that I vomit.

9 months ago, I moved 1300 miles from my family. Do I miss them? Sure! But I've lived away from them before - and I've done okay with that. I talk to them now more than I did when I lived near them. My job is stressful, house hunting is stressful. I'm living in the smallest house I've ever seen in my life right now. Seriously. Its so very very small, its nearly insane. Lemme put it to you this way. I actually have to move the garbage can into the other room so I can open my fridge or oven to do anything in there :P That puts a lot of stress on me because I do like my alone time. My husband had a horrible accident and ended up with a bleed on his brain - he's fine now but it scared the living daylights out of me. Again, my job is long hours and stressful. Not quite as stressful as my last job, but the hours are longer and I think the traffic on the drive home is more stressful than the job :P I just seem to run out of energy by the time I find time to work out.

Has anyone else experienced this? Where you've had the times where you've just kinda been down in the dumps - and you just pull yourself back with very little effort and then BLAM! You get blindsided by everything at once and you can't seem to even try? I just wonder if you have, what did you do to get yourself back on track and back living life instead of hating it...

Wow - I so got off track here - but I think I needed to vent a bit.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 09:23

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Moving Past the Pharmaceutical Drugs...

I'm still here too. Lately I've been experimenting with Litium Asparate that I purchased from the Health Food Store. I've also been taking Fish Oil supplements and trying to eat fish three times a week, salmon, tuna, etc. Also this week I started making Flax Bread and eating that. The first day that I ate it I consumed the whole loaf which is about 3 net carbs and I felt a strange since of well being... Needless to say I am trying to eat it every day. Also, I've been really trying to practice the teachings in the Secret...that has really helped lift a heavy weight off my shoulders... You are so right that what we eat contributes to depression and other forms of mental illness. Unfortunately, for me this has been a long journey of self discovery. Doctors don't and will not, most of them, take the time to tell you these things. Instead, they prefer to give temporary fixes that can result in long term problems. Since I started researching Bipolar myself and trying different things I have noticed a change. My illness is still bad, however, I am hopeful for once in a very long time. Also, I've also discovered that food allergies can also contribute greatly to mental illness...including depression.
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Feb-24-07, 01:00

Plan: reiske
Stats: 125/125/115 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default antidepressant

does anyone know of the drug cymbalta? is it a hard drug to get off of? i'm trying to decide if i wanna continue on it or not...my doc says i should take it...but i don't want to get dependant on it.
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/221/135 Female 5ft. 7in.
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am actually a kicensed pharmacy tech and the medication Cymbalta has soared in popularity recently. You should never stop a drug cold turkey but with your doctors help you can be weened off it. depending on how severe your depression is you just might need it. Don;t look at it like you are dependant, just look at it like you need this to help and may someday ween off it.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-07, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/221/135 Female 5ft. 7in.
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am actually a licensed pharmacy tech and the medication Cymbalta has soared in popularity recently. You should never stop a drug cold turkey but with your doctors help you can be weened off it. depending on how severe your depression is you just might need it. Don't look at it like you are dependant, just look at it like you need this to help right now and may someday ween off it.
  #156   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 16:33

Plan: Dr. Berg/Atkins
Stats: 157/153/135 Female 5'8"
BF:not sure now
Progress: 18%
Default depression

I was on an antidepressant for a while, but I started going to medatation and exploring easter ideas - my favorite being that attachment it the route of all problems. Attachment to people, food, money, etc. If we can find a way to be at peace and happy with ourselves (which I believe happens when you serve and help others) then we let go of attachments. Everything belongs to a higher power anyway.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 17:04

Plan: no sugar no flour, Atkins
Stats: 196.5/175/120 Female 5 feet 3 inch
BF:JUST HAD A BABY
Progress: 28%

Hi, i am new here i think i need a place to talk. I am not taking anti depressants right now. THe last time i took some i just became more depressed, and extreamly hungry. I gained 80pounds before i decided to stop taking them and the depression went away. I still am having problems with portions and eating my feelings. I started the fat fast today, but messed up a little, starting again tomorrow. I am not hungry but i want to eat. I hate that feeling and i am fighting with everything i got.
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 01:00

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 368/369/150 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Its good that we are here to help one another. I have Bi-Poler with Schizo-Affective Disorder so I know i t is a rough road for some, for alot of people when others cant accept you for you illness and all you want to do is go in the kitchen and eat to take away the pain. Im an emotional eater most of the time. I lost 87 lbs in 5 and a halfs monthe from not eating. it comes and goes with me. I dont know what my food deal is exactly.
  #159   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins,ME
Stats: 160/130/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 100%

hi,
i feel like sharing my experience... with depression.
it hit... unexpectedly... it took me down almost.
i never thought i would end up like this.... but i realized that when u don't have people to talk to... u end up in depression...
with me something different happen... there are so many people around me... but no one understands me... even my girlfriends.
They are married... and all of a sudden they don't get me...
i get constant feeling of failure of not being married... (even though i have a good job on going to my masters)
but none of my social circle...sees that...

all they wanna see... who i am dating or marrying... sometimes i feel like leaving my circle of friends... sitting with poeple... who have other things to talk about than marriage...

Another thing that lead me to depression.... my ex... he left me cuz i was too fat for him...
all of a sudden... i feel this anxiety that i need to proove to my friends ... i can be successful in a relationship too...

So, last month... i hit rock bottom of my depression... near my birthday... i felt like i was invisible... i felt like there is no point in being good... i lost two buddies that i needed to outlet my depression with... but their significant other thought i was a threat.. and made my guy friends back of from me... no communication at all...........
that left me waaaaaaaay lonely...i felt like people around me got everything with trickery... deciet... backstabbing....

i needed an outlet...but didn't get any.... so i took it off by injuring myself in a car reck... just felt like what would it be like if i made a wrong turn? no one would be affected...
(but i was wrong... my family was affected greatly... they were shocked.. why would i do something when i have everything...)

i got my answer that day.... but i still have to figure out how to deal with depression......
i couldn't sleep 4 nights so i took some melatonin, all of a sudden it calmed me down and insanely cleared my head...
but i don't want medicines to do the trick...

i do running every morning to make me happy....but i get back to the same anxiety when i see my old friends again.........

i went to see a counsler... she told me i need to take time out of for myself... but to do what? i dont feel happy with in...

the reason i am using melatonin cuz it enhances my mood so i can perform good at my job... and get through the day...

al i know is i have to lose this weight soon! I am my own enemy...by not managing my weight...

luv and hugs to all... this is the only place left for me
  #160   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 22:17

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia7681
I am actually a licensed pharmacy tech and the medication Cymbalta has soared in popularity recently. You should never stop a drug cold turkey but with your doctors help you can be weened off it. depending on how severe your depression is you just might need it. Don't look at it like you are dependant, just look at it like you need this to help right now and may someday ween off it.

I, also am a pharmacy tech, and agree with this. I also take an anti-depressant (which has totally killed my appetite) and weaning is something one definitely should do!

Also anti-depressants are most certainly not habit-forming (meaning you really can't get hooked on them) so you don't have to worry too much about depenency.