Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:28
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Hello There!

I'll support you with what I can. You can count on it!
One thing I will have issue on is if you try to hurt yourself mentally or physically. Just Remember:
You are Your Ally Always.

I started dancing in my living room again. I haven't done this is so long! (a year or two). It makes me feel happy. I'm a closet dancer but last night, for whatever reason, I danced with my roommate in the next room. He was about to go to the kitchen and saw me, (I didn't see him, if I did I would have stopped!). He told me that he had no idea I could dance so well. He called me exciting.
(I shivered as I stood beet red) I never thought I could dance.
Now I don't feel so scared about going to a banquet I have to go to. This is a good thing

How many things have I not done because I thought I was bad at it? Am I accurate about myself? Just pondering.

I think I'm going to try something I've been wanting to try but too afraid to do on a weekly basis. It really pumps you up in the ego department... as well in your own good feelings!
Take Care!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post depression

I am right there with all of you...i tend to suffer from SEVERE depression....since i have been on low carb, i was amazed at how much better my mental state has been...but the last few days, i see/feel it coming back. its good to know there are other s here.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 13:25
Everyday Sane Psycho

Post Hi all

As all of you have felt over the years, Anxiety and Depression is like a rollercoaster ride of highs and lows. Sometimes we need to have an emergency pack when things are going sour. I like to read jokes (Thanks John and W...oh my gosh I forgot his name!!)
I also believe it or not, keep coloring books and markers. Yep, I color when I'm upset
Buy some pencil puzzles, or a book, or a craft kit. Have a bag for a personal spa day. I remember my mother had a rainy day envelope of money in her dresser. Little did I know that rainy day's didn't nessicarily mean percipitation outside
I mention this because I used to make myself feel better (Well sort of) by eating. I must of downed many pints of Ben and Jerry's as tears fell. Lets face it old habits die hard!
So That's why I am teaching my 7 Ps of life:

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 16:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / PP
Stats: 255/245/200
BF:
Progress: 18%

I get anxiety when i try to plan stuff.....lol I end up sitting on my butt waiting for the world to fall in. Then i get so far behind on stuff i have a panic attack, shut down and go comatose like for a week. Now if i would just do as im supossed to do i wouldnt get like that. Why dont i, cuase i never have.

Now Carrie-Ann is done babbeling.. As you might can tell i have just come off a comatose week and i can actually think again. Not quite clear yet but hey its possible.

Carrie-Ann
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 22:19

Plan: atkiens
Stats: 213/213/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking New Comer

Hi, I have just opened up this page and was drawn to this topic. I have been trying to low carb and initially lost weight, however, my emotions seem uncontrollable - I eat when I'm sad, depressed, happy, angry. My moods seem to swing, but I am generally unhappy with my body, my life and my marriage. I'm lost. Maybe talking to others who have felt the same at times will help.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile A long night

Hows this for optamism

I couldn't sleep last night so I finished my book and gave my mind to thought. I've come to the conclusion that just because I am not ready for love doesn't mean I will never be. I feel so much closer to it but I'm not quite there yet.
I have to be patient. I only hope the ones who love me are patient too.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 07:36

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 305/221/180 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 67%

LESSERA, I think this is a wonderful site you have developed I can see you have a great "nack" for listening and trying to help. Keep up the good work. Joan
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:04

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 251/246/150
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default depression and all that

Oh my word,
Am I so thrilled to find this site?
I am a new person, just signed up today,led to this site from a friend who is doing Atkins and we struck up a conversation at an event our children were participating in.
I have struggled with depression off and on for years, coming out of a particularly black time last year. I am making some active choices for health, eating mostly LC, focus on the Somersize plan when I can. Noticing some crummy side effects of the sugar I insist on keeping(slamming headaches when I least expect them) and added an exercise plan that is helping a lot.
I just wanted to throw out a great thank you for having this link, with the LC eating and depression.
thank you, thank you for starting this site.
Teresa
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

Post Feeling anxiety

I wish I didn't worry.

Sounds so simple doesn't it? Anxiety has so many faces.
It could be worried that I'm not Lcing right or that someone may be annoyed with me or that nice guy might *Oh my God!* LIKE me! (What ever shall I do??)
It could be restlessness. Like you forgot something or you are fustrated about work or family or friends.
It could be fear, Example like what I wrote above, "What ever shall I do!" "What if I lose him?" What if she finds out?"

When each of these faces appear. I have to take a deep breath and check behind the disguise to see it for what it really is.
Each face seems so real and so dynamic! But they aren't. Its your normal emotions times 10 isn't it?

Sometimes just understanding that its your anxiety or depression that are causing these feelings. Then you drag out your emergancy care kit and try to calm yourself down. Try roleplaying that you have no emotions (I know, ya right!) or roleplay that you are helping a friend out. Write it down, act it out. Any way you can. Ask a friend to be the Devil Avocate. (I like to think Guardian Angel)

That's why we are here, to help.
Although, Don't you wish you just didn't worry?
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:34

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 251/246/150
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default fighting depression

I am wondering what kinds of things you all do to deal with your depression on a day to day basis?
I am exercising and also trying to stick with a LC food plan, but I fall off the wagon and get back into eating sugar which gives me terrible headaches and hangovers the next day.
What is your experience with ongoing therapy or not?
I see my therapist only once a month and sometimes wish it was more than that, but I want to try to deal with things in a lifestyle management way.
Also, how do you communicate what is happening with you to others in a way they understand and dont think youre over the edge all the time? My depression is like a wet blanket I have to wear and its just harder to function and do the basics sometimes and its hard for me to explain what that feels like to folks who dont get depressed!
Any input you all have would be most appreciated!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 11:31
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Hi

My depression is very mild compared to my anxiety.
When I'm down I act like a robot as unemotional as I can.
(Which is probably why my fellow male workers around here like me best then)
I try and focus on tasks at hand. Though I know from previous experience that I need to list my tasks out during these days.
For over all balance, I dance and do stretch exercises. I try to do one 'me' activity everyday. So far this has kept my depression under control. I will say this: LCing has reduced my depression significantly!
I feel more alive.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 09:54
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Missing someone

I feel absolutely silly.
I've been talking to a friend for a few weeks and just because
I haven't heard from him in a little while I'm sad.
I miss him!
Don't you hate it when your anxiety makes you feel insecure?!
Grrrr!
I'm feeling alittle guilty because I'm sitting here drinkng a large glass of ice coffee with cream and almond extract.
And I was telling a friend awhle ago that drinking beer when you
are down was wrong?! Am I a hypocrate or what?!
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 11:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile It's all right Lessara

There is nothing wrong with feeling sad and vulnerable. It is a natural human feeling. It is when we supress such feelings that it turns into depression.

How about turning it around and saying Thank You dear friend for all the wonderful chats we have had recently. I understand you may be busy and I miss our chats but I am grateful for what we had for the time that we had it.

Or you could be really brave and CALL HIM instead of waiting for him to call you? Could be he is down about something and needs cheering up?

Take care.
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 11:51
Everyday Sane Psycho

Default Thank you!!

Oh you are so wonderful! Thank you!
I am so thankful for the chats he and I had!
He's helped me sort through my mind, and he didn't
even know it. I will always be grateful for it.