Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/165/138 Female 5,8 1/2
BF:
Progress:
Default Bipolar Parent

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for quite sometime. Quickly, about myself. I started a low fat diet in January 2003 and lost 40 lbs. Started Atkins in July and lost 30+ pounds. I feel and look great. I have spoken to only a couple of low carbers who says that this diet has helped their depression.

I had looked through this forum as well as the parenting board and thought I'd ask my questions here.

You know I really do feel great. And I want nothing more than for my 7 year old son to feel this good. He was dx 1 1/2 yrs. ago and has been on many different meds. He is BP,ADHD,ODD,Aspergers and Anxiety disorder. I would like to try to put him on a sugar-free low carb diet. Many foods I eat he loves also so I'm hoping this will work out. He has gained alot of weight from the meds and that's another reason why I'd like him on this diet. More of a modified Maintence Atkins.

I'd like to ask roughly how much carbs per day would I be looking at. 100? I understand Atkins Weight loss is not for children, but I'd like to have more control over his high sugar and carb intake. A few days ago he was home sick from school and kept making himself toast. He really doesn't need all that bread. And definatley doesn't need all that sugar. and I'm hoping this will help his hyperactive/manic phases.

I had a traumatic experience last year and developed anxiety attacks where i broke out in rashes on my hands and arms. No doctor could help me. Just gave me creams and Xanax. Nothing worked. And since being on Atkins I've had no problem and my arms cleared up. So, I know Atkins helps other than just weight loss.

So, I'm really hoping that I can set up a plan for my son to help him with his disorders. I'd really like to hear some success stories for those who have BP and if Low carbing has helped you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 00:19
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Hi 1979. I am the parent of an almost (Jan. 3) fourteen year old son who is bipolar. Unfortunately, I cannot control what he chooses to eat outside of the home, but I do the best I can to keep only whole foods in the house. I do not buy processed food at all - no doritos, ice cream... nothing with preservatives, artificial color, sweeteners, or flavor. I have battled many professionals who do not believe that diet has anything to do with mental/emotional disorders. In fact, one of his old psychiatrist's had huge plastic bins in his office FULL of junk food for kids to pick out after their session! He goes to a private school (an excellent program for kids like him) that pays absolutely no attention to the food it serves these kids all of whom have one psychiatric condition or another. I can tell instantly if my son ate something with red food color (seems to affect him the worst) by his behavior. When he has been over at someone's house it can take a couple of days to clean out his system from eating junk. I believe that eating a diet based on whole foods can greatly help him control himself with the addition of medication. As you probably know, with a child like this, you really have to pick your battles, so I don't get on him for what he eats outside the home, just explain to him that it's not good for his body, however, he is a teenager on top of everything else, and just loves making me wrong

Staples I keep in the house for him (Trader Joe's is great!): celery, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, peanut butter, sprouted whole grain bread, tuna, chicken, turkey, peas, salad, eggs, brown rice, pizza on whole wheat crust. I try to not give him a lot of fruit and I never buy fruit juice because in addition to the calories, it is so full of sugar. I buy soy milk, which he has developed a taste for, but that took a while. He mostly drinks water, which I feel is important with the meds. If it isn't in the house, he is forced to pick from what is there, and he might whine about it, but will eventually make a choice and eat it.

Also, I don't know if you have read any of the research about fish oil and bipolar children. It's hard for me to convince my son to take any more 'pills' but the oil is super good for the brain, esp these kids'.

I was a single parent dealing with this for 7 of his almost 14 years and I know how tough and heartbreaking it is - if I can help you in any way, I will be happy to - unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of support out there and a lot of differing opinions on what's best.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 17:33

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Elimination diet?

Not exactly the allergic plan, although that would work. Start with something like induction--maybe 30 carbs or so--and gradually raise them until his behavior changes back to what you don't want. He won't lose weight if he eats enough calories.

100 is a lot. You might not see the benefit and then think the LC didn't help.