Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 09:50

Plan: Atkins`
Stats: 325/325/200
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The Low-Carb Veggie Garden

Hi,
I'm a veggie gardener and am going to grow a low-carb veggie garden this year. So many things you can grow, and they taste so great fresh from the garden (good exercise too!) Although there are some high-carb veggies like potatoes, corn & melons, the truth is I never grow these anyways. My garden staples tend to be tomatoes, hot & sweet peppers, eggplant, green beans, cucumbers lettuces and greens, plus a lot of fresh herbs. Any other veggie gardeners out there?

Shelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I work for a gardening compnay where we grow every vegetable in our trial gardens and I get to take them home for free, so I am I the luckiest person alive? In addition to the ones you mentioned, since I have been low-carbing, I have been eating alot of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflour, Asparagus, Swiss chard, spinach, spaghetti squash. and zucchini. My favorite veggie staple lately is fried bacon and cabbage. It is so good, goes with everything and tastes even better left over, so I make a big batch once or twice a week. Oh and it freezes well too.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Smile I love to garden too!

In my opinion there is nothing like fresh veggies right from the garden...I do grow some of the higher carb veggies like carrots and peas for my granddaughters...they love to pick them right out of the garden and can hardly wait for them to be ready for harvesting...for myself I grow yellow and green beans..tomatoes...mixture of lettuces...romain, iceburg etc...zuchinni squash..(by the way am in the next province to Foxeylady only separated by a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng Bridge.. PEI is an island for folks who aren't aware of this fact...gee...was not aware we could grow spaghetti squash in our area...love it with meatballs and a LC spaghetti sauce...so glad I popped in here to learn this ...B
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: somersize/atkins
Stats: 172/160/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yes, we direct seed spaghetti squash around the first week of June and we get a great harvest. The squashes keep for a long time in a cool, dry place. We still have one or two here from October. The vine crops are quite trouble free to grow. Let me know if you try it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 06:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Thanks Foxeylady!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxeylady
Yes, we direct seed spaghetti squash around the first week of June and we get a great harvest. The squashes keep for a long time in a cool, dry place. We still have one or two here from October. The vine crops are quite trouble free to grow. Let me know if you try it.

Will definitely be an addition to my veggie garden this year and thanks so much for the info B
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 07:00

Plan: Atkins`
Stats: 325/325/200
BF:
Default veggie gardening rules!

Hi---
The cabbage & bacon dish sounds really good. I'm going to be sure to grow some cabbage as well. It's cheap in the stores, but cannot match the quality of homegrown. Another thing I do with my garden veggies is make alot of grilled veggies in the summer--along with some grilled meat. Off to work...

Shelly
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 19:52

Plan: researching
Stats: 240/240/160 Female 68 inches
BF:

My family just moved into a house and some friends gave us a gas grill for our housewarming :-) I have heard some other people talk about grilling vegetables, but have never really done it myself. Could you give me some guidelines?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 22:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a good recipe/method to start you off

http://www.chef-recipes.com/grilled-vegetables.htm

You can also grill sliced eggplant and some people love grilled Caesar Salad. You cut the head of Romaine in half vertically and grill it until it has dark grill marks on the cut side. You can leave it whole or chop it and toss it with dressing and Parmesan cheese.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 23:26

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Shelly, I am a vegetable gardener and thrive on it, the food and the exercise. I grow lots of non starchy vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes, sugar peas, green beans and wax beans, romaine lettuce, arugula, onions, radishes, turnip greens, and chinese cabbage. Each year something comes up in my compost pile and it sometimes does better than the garden. This year it is a summer squash that looks like a pumpkin, but is flatter. I have filled my freezer with squash casseroles. I'm also getting pumpkins out of the compost pile. It is great fun. I am an avid gardener.