Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 06:46
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Default A Low Carbohydrate Cookbook Suitable for Vegetarians/note to Karen!!

It's called the Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook by Micheal and Mary DAn Eades and a lot of it is suitable for vegetarians.

There are incredible bread, biscuit, muffin recipes, desserts, pizzas, macaroni and cheese, etc. and those chapters that do deal with meat, well some of the recipes can be converted using vegetarian meat substitutes.

Although it's really not a vegetarian cookbook, a lot of the recipes can be converted, and it's really worth the purchase.

I have collected some of the recipes Karen created on this forum, and she is so incredibly creative, I keep wishing she'd write her own low carb cookbook.

Karen if you ever read this, do you think you will?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Karen if you ever read this, do you think you will?

I have and it will be published next year.

Depending on its success and market demand, I would like to write a low-carb vegetarian cookbook next!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 12:57

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

My mom got me that cookbook as a present and I have made several recipes in it. Some of them - the rolls and pizza crust I have been disappointed in. But many of their main dishes do look tasty and I haven't had a chance to try those yet!

I would definitely like to see what Karen's cookbook looked like though!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

Yipee! Go Karen Go! Please keep us advised of the publication date.

Karen, if you do write a low carb vegetarian cookbook, I'll bet it would be a great hit! ...I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

etoiles, one thing I have learned in trying new lower carb recipes is that if I critically compare low carb to the original versions I will always be disappointed.

What I do now is I think of low carb eating as a culinary adventure, separate and apart from the way I used to eat. I know that I feel so much healthier eating the way I do, and I know I can NEVER go back.

When I bake (or buy) low carb breads for example, I know the texture will be more spongy and different than regular breads. So I've learned to appreciate low carb breads for what they are, a tasty substitute for something else. The funny thing is, though, tastes really do change. I really enjoy low carb breads now because they are high in protein and very filling and leave me sated, where a piece of regular bread just starts those hunger cravings that can turn into binges. That in itself is worth it to me. The same with the new low carb pastas. Sure they don't taste the same as regular pasta, but they still taste good and are very filling.

I really appreciate all the new low carb recipes and products that are coming out, because this is the way I will eat while I am still here on this green earth!

So here's to good eating!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian Protein Power
Stats: 190/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 25%

That is so funny...I just spent the weekend in Chapters prowling through cookbooks trying to find a low-carb one that wasn`t all-meat recipies. Thanks for the heads up!!

L.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 05:21

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Please write a LC veggie recipe cookbook Karen . It would be great if it wasn't soy heavy either, relying more on nuts, seeds and dairy.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 17:06

Plan: Vegetarian - my own
Stats: 155/145/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default :d

a low carb vegetarian cookbook would be soooooo awsome!!! i've searched high and low for one and i'm pretty sure it doesnt exist. you would DEFINATELY have a good market for it! i promise i'll buy it if you write it!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 17:40
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dr. Schwarzbein has a controlled carb vegetarian cookbook as well. Of course, anything Karen does would be better!

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/186/160 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Karen
I love your recipes. Please let us know when your book will be in the stores.
seb
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 20:28

Plan: researching
Stats: 240/240/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

New cookbook coming out in August 2004 - "The Low Carb Vegetarian" by Margo Demello. I just found out about it on another thread on this site.