Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 00:02

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%
Default Anyone else Somersizing?

Hello
Just wondering if there is anyone else here doing the Suzanne Somers plan. What I've found so far are most aren't active on the site anymore.
Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 08:15

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

My brother and his wife did this years ago (I mean about 15 years ago!) and both had great success. If you find it appealing to you, I would encourage you to stick with it religiously, and not worry too much that others aren't on board. I'm thinking that an awful lost of people (most people under 40, anyway!) don't know who she is.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 09:56

Thank you - yes I love the WOE. And SS does say that you cannot do this halfway - following the rules is essential. I am being very inspired though by what everyone else is doing - and I am cutting the allowed whole grain carbs even further right now for faster results which SS also recommends if you are in a stall.
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 11:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I started out doing SSplan but have morphed into low carb because I lose faster that way. I still have a SS meal every few weeks when I am in the mood for something nog allowed on low carb. My friend lost her wieght on SS and has kept if off for 13 years so I know the plan works.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 18:39

Hello
Yes, it works beautifully, I guess it isn't that popular anymore though. And I've been reading a lot here from Atkins people, who inspired me to go lower carb for faster results - SS also says to cut out the carbs if you are stalled. It's always great to hear success stories! I belong to another SS group but there is practically no activity there - and I need the support! Thank you for your answer.
Kat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 09:01

Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I did this years ago and was also very successful...I am Atkin's now but still keep her rules in mind when having to eat carby foods...One reaso I switched was it was too expensive to keep low fat and high fat versions of food in the house along with the intermediate versions my husband liked. I also am a carb addict and would tend to overdo on the cereals and skim milk. I could eat that for every meal and that just never kept me feeling full.
That is the beauty of Atkins...I hardly every feel hungry and find it very empowering to walk past food when others are acting like lunatics around it.
If you follow the rules you will probably do very well on her plan unless you are a carb junkie like me. lol
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 21:48

Yes, I know what you mean. I have to plan my carb meals which I keep to breakfast and I am always hungry before the allowed time is up. I am very sensitive to carbs. I am learning a lot from Atkins people and keeping some of your things in mind as well.
I hear a lot of success stories by people who used to do her plan. Congrats on your success! You are almost at goal! When did you switch over to Atkins?
Kat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-12, 09:05

BF:

I have been Atkins for about 16months and in pre maintenance now....I did SS 10years ago and found it too hard to keep up with because of having to keep low, high,and reduced fat items in the house. Fast forward 9years and 70 pounds later due to my Carb addiction and Atkins seemed the way
to go....never felt less hungry and more in control of what I eat ...it makes you feel so in control and so free from the power food can have over you. Good luck with what ever you chose because the best way of eating for you is the one you can stick with for life.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 11:32

Thank you. I have climbed back on after a rough week of falling off plan- I am actually ill now with a sinus infection and can't taste anything, but am having my plan food anyway- making myself eat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 07:10

BF:

I hope you feel better, I'm glad you are back on a plan and the people on these boards are very helpful...they will help in whatever way they can to keep you on track,answer questions and offer support. Good luck, feel better and stay strong and in control of you...lord knows we can't control what others do but we can take control of ourselves.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-05-12, 09:41

Plan: Sort of Atkins
Stats: 238.8/206.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I have made some of her recipes and they are great. Her chicken pollard is to die for and I actually crave it at times. I may have to make that this weekend.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-06-12, 20:21

I haven't made a bad recipe from her yet. There are two contest books out with Somersizer's recipes and a few of those needed tweaking but some are really good, too. Right now I am inspired by all the Atkins people - and I am doing the very low carb Somersize. We do whole grain carbs but combine them in a certain way - and Suzanne says if you aren't losing - or hit a plateau - cut the carbs! So I did, and darn if the scale isn't moving again!
Kat
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 23:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/246/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I have a couple of her books and my sister has lost weight on it at least 50 pounds. But she says it's too complicated to even explain. She said it had a lot to do with hormones and menopause and using the right meds. I'm totally confused by the book. I have been LC atkins since last fall and would like to understand it. But, just can't. I think Atkins is verrryy confusing too.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 07:06

BF:

She must be doing the version for women who are perimenopausal...the original version is basically a food combo way of eating...protien with fats and veggie carbs...white carbs(as I callk them) eaten only with carbs...so skim milk with cereal or fat free cheese on veggie topped pizza...if you have a steak you could have veggies and butter or salad with full fat dressing, just no white carbs....that is why I found it even more expensive than Atkin's...because I had to stock 2 or 3 different milks fats and cheese fats and dressing fats etc...On Atkins I only stock high fat low carb.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayekaye12
I have a couple of her books and my sister has lost weight on it at least 50 pounds. But she says it's too complicated to even explain. She said it had a lot to do with hormones and menopause and using the right meds. I'm totally confused by the book. I have been LC atkins since last fall and would like to understand it. But, just can't. I think Atkins is verrryy confusing too.

The best book is the first one, Eat Great, Lose Weight. It explains fairly simply the 7 basic steps. I'd just go re-read that page when I got confused on timing. I don't know about her new version, I have the book but am getting results from the old one.
Basically, eat fruit alone. There is timing involved depending on what you are eating next. (Proteins/fats or carbs/nonfats).
You don't mix up proteins with carbs.
Proteins/fats go together - allowed is heavy cream, full fat dairy, fats.
Carbos are whole grains, low starch veggies (no potatoes, white flour, refined sugar or processed foods. Nonfat dairy like fat free milk and yogurt are ok, and fat free cheeses with carbos.
Veggies go with everything! except things like winter squash, potatoes, high starch stuff.
You cut out refined carbs, things like nuts, bananas, avocados, olives, - she says they don't combine well and have both protein and carbs. Also on the losing level you cut out alcohol.
It really isn't hard, but you have to watch timing.
I really like it - but not everybody wants to mess with the rules.
For what it's worth.
Kat