Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 10:16

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%
Lightbulb Creative Flaxseed Ideas

Hi All!

I'm almost 4 weeks into my 4 week plan. It took me some time to 'settle' into the right way of doing things. The first week I went cold turkey on caffeine, aspartame white flour and 'man-made' boxed stuff. Don't missany of them one bit and - no cravings. I even have to remember to work in the snacks because I'm not hungry. So far so good. I feel great and have a pleasant sense of accomplishment. I feel much less obsessed with food compared to the zillion other 'diets' I've been on. The other night I ordered filet mignon on the menu and said a silent yipee when there was butter on the veggies. I'm doing exercise 6-7x week - weights, cardio and yoga to help. I haven't seen the scale move much but my body fat is down 3%.

Question: I hear about how good flaxseed is for you but I'm hoping you all might have some creative ways to use it. I've eliminated the ideas that include using it in orange juice, blender beverages and cold cereals since those are things a good TSP follower is avoiding. That leaves me with salads. There must be more. Any suggestions?

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 10:21

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

I, too, will be waiting with bated breath to hear of some good ideas! I am not following SP, but do need to figure out a way to get the flax oil in!
Regards,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 10:25

Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Susan,
Welcome to the Schwarzbein Principle, it's a good one. RE; flax seeds, I grind them up and put them in my protein shake (I also put flax seed oil in it) and in my steel cut oatmeal that I make in the morning. I'm sure others can recommend how to use it in salad dressing. Good luck to you!
Maureen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Recipe

Hi Susan,

I found this recipe on some LC recipe site. I've fixed it numerous times and really enjoy them. On the days I don't have my protein drink with flax meal included, I eat 1-2 of these.

Dobie's Flas Seed Muffins

1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup protein powder
2 TBL. oil ( I use peanut oil)
1/4 cup Splenda ( the loose version. If I use the packets, I only use about 5)
1 beaten egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp extract ( I use almond)
1/4 tsp salt
1 oz. nuts, optional
1/2 cup water

Mix the above, let sit for a few minutes to thicken, if nexessary. Spoon into 6 non-stick muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. They are just under 1 carb each.

Enjoy.

Carrot
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 05:51

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Cereal....ground flax - add equal parts very hot water, some cinnamon and cloves and a bit of Splenda (if you can) and a bit of cream...great cereal! I will often add protein powder to it to get some extra protein in. Texture is a bit gluey but this is the easiest way to eat it quickly!

Lisa
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 18:20

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

<Betty peeks head in, looks around sheepishly>

Excuse me, would someone please post a basic protein "shake" recipe here so that I could see what you are drinking and may try it myself, perhaps?

Thank you! --Betty

<Betty steps out, closes door behind her--door hits her on booty on way out.>
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 19:46

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Question question on muffins

Carrot,

Those muffins sound awesome - thanks for sharing the recipe! What type of protein powder do you use - soy, whey or something else?

Jen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 231/225/170
BF:
Progress: 10%

Jen,

Sorry for long delay. I've been away on a quickie vacaton.

Just made some more muffins tonight and hmmmmm....

I've used both the soy and whey. Doesn't seem to matter. The original recipe called for a protein powder with as little carb and lots of protein. Not sure if I mentioned it, but I also add in some flax seeds for extra punch and crunch!

I'm also looking for a low carb protein drink. Any suggestions out there?

Carrot
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 08:02

Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%
Default Thanks

I appreciate all of your suggestions. I'd like to add one I created.

Try 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed mixed in with 1 Tbsp. natural peanut butter or almond butter. Spread this on either a Wasa cracker or low carb bread or just add a few raisins and skip the bread.
The almond butter I've purchased is so runny, this is a good way to thicken it up!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-11-02, 18:58
Registered Member

Stats: 205/175/170
BF:
Progress: 86%

I am digging out my own recipe for flax muffins that are just superb. They are an adaptation of a recipe I got off a low carb website, but I added a lot more flax than the original recipe called for. They are so truly yummy, I'm going for my recipe now to bake up a batch, then I'll post the recipe.

Yum.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 00:03

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%

I add a couple tablespoons of flaxseed meal (not seeds) to the Atkins Blueberry Muffin Mix. I make the mix about halfway between the recipes for the muffins and the scones and bake it in a loaf pan. In addition to the health benefits, it adds a little more body and texture to the loaf. One loaf is good for at least 4 breakfasts and I spread a little butter or (if I have it) mascarpone cheese on it. It's very tasty, convenient and filling.

I'm not sure how well this fits into some of other LC programs, but it works well for me.

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they sell the mix for $3.99/box, which is at least 2 bucks cheaper than anywhere else and some carry the flaxseed meal for 1.99/bag.