Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 18:00

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default YES ˇ! Another question on Ketosis? Bare Please is very specific…

I am in my 3rd Week of the diet I am being kicked out of ketosis to almost none, I increased the Net Carbs from 8 to 16 and is fading away the Ketosis to almost none. My water intake the same the whole time (no excuse here), the food is written here, you will see that I had to take away the cheese the third week as I was very ill, constipated, the problem was solved at the same time that I had to add 10g of "FIBER" (no sugar 10g. a day, 100% nautral) Review:
Ketosis by the week!!
1 Week – 8 Net Carbs – Deep Blue
2 Week – 10 Net Carbs – Deep Blue (constipation)
3 Week – 16 Net Carbs – Fading by the day, almost none.

Food by the week
1 Week – Meats, Salads, Flax Seeds, 1 Galon Water, Cheese
2 Week – Meats, Salads, Flax Seeds, 1 Galon Water, Cheese
3 Week – Meats, Salads, Flax Seeds, 1 Galon Water, NO CHEESE*** Fiber added

Questions:
1. Am I getting kicked out of ketosis because now I upper my Net Carbs to 16g? or
2. Am I getting kicked out of Ketosis because the carbs come from "Fiber"?
3. Is there people here that in 10 Net carbs they are ok, but on 16 they just get out of ketosis? Is my limit 15g of Net Carbs? If so I am in deep trouble..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 18:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It depends on HOW you're determining whether or not you're in ketosis. If you depend on the strips, ANY change of color means ketosis... you are or you aren't, it's not a matter of degree by the color. Actually, the darker colors sometimes mean you're slightly dehydrated!

Go way to the top of the page, where the green bar is, and click on "tips". It should lead you to where you can find a GREAT article explaining ketones and the test strips in great detail.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 19:06

BF:

Yes I am measuring Ketosis with the color of the strips, but I didn't understood that either we are,.... or we are not...!!!!.. that is something new. Thanks I will keep reading.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 19:20
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Its like getting pregnant, you either are or you are not. You can't be slightly. Ketones is a by product of you burning fats for fuel. Your body is either buring carbs or reverted to the fat burning process.

What potatofree want you to understand is that the strips are not alway the best way to know if you are in ketosis. They are affected by different things, how much you drink, when you last ate, exercise. Dr. Atkins himself said, "if you are losing weight, you are in ketosis."
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 19:23
LOVING SUMMER

Plan: COUNTING THOSE CARBS
Stats: 188/140/125 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 76%

The first two months doing Atkins I drove myself NUTS in regards to ketosis! I know most people go by that and/or weight loss. I finally tossed them and found I was losing inches quicker than I was losing weight or in ketosis...Just my two cents.... I agree with everyone's comments......good luck
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 20:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryToU
Its like getting pregnant, you either are or you are not.
That is soooo funny, I will quote this all the time I question my level of Ketosis, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV
The first two months doing Atkins I drove myself NUTS in regards to ketosis!

I have become very meticulous about this woe, I have to relax, Thanks for the patience and detail answears.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Cucu-- you'll learn to trust yourself and it will become second nature. Just follow the plan, make sure to get your vegetables (they help a LOT!) and you'll be fine!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 01:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 117//! Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Lose the ketostix.

First of all, how much water you drink DOES affect the color of the strips (coming from someone who would check my urine for ketones every time I went to the bathroom)! The Atkins website says otherwise, but I really feel like it is untrue. So if any color shows, there are ketones present. Ketones are also excreted through your skin I think and definitely through your breath.

Also, I noticed that when I ate any really high fat meal (at first I assumed it was just buffalo wings) the next morning my strips were dark. Then on another day, I would eat a lower fat meal (same number of carbs and daily activity) and my strip the next morning would be light or have no color. I really think that if it shows up dark, either your burning a huge amount of body fat (if you have a lot to lose), but if you do not, like me, then your strips turning dark are mainly indicative of burning dietary fat. Or you're possible dehydrated.

I was also informed that if you are consuming too many calories but are still eating low carb, you might show a dark strip but be gaining weight.

I think that people are right when they say to not use ketostix, not to weigh yourself, and just go by how your clothes fit and what your measurements are.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 02:50

BF:

thanks everyone, I am totally relax now about the subject, wow was I so stress about all the details, thanks... I will just wait and see how I do, next week will be a month I started and it will be a good time to weight myself and see how I did in my first month.. thanks.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 04:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cucu, I think what you're seeing with the strips getting lighter is your body becoming more efficient at using ketones for fuel and therefore there are less to "waste" through your urine.
Don't stress about the color of those little strips. If you are losing weight and/or inches, you're doing just fine.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 06:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The other thing to remember is that those strips ARE NOT VERY ACCURATE. So don't take them as "the truth". Your ketone level changes during the day, depending on what you ate last, when you ate and how much physical work you are doing.

Besides, more ketones leave by breathing than any other way. Second laregest way of losing them is the intestines. But testing those involves 1) a large expensive testing machine for the breath or 2) is messy. So don't put a lot of reliance on the numbers they do or do not show. ANY is good. And even NONE may be inaccurate.

Losing inches or pounds IS your best measure. And that is free.