Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 07:04

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Unhappy 2 lb up, 2lb down is getting monotonous!

A moan

I've been low carbing for just over 10 weeks and really enjoy it. I lost a wopping 8-10 lb in the first three weeks, and honestly didn't expect the weight to continue dropping off at that rate since I don't have a huge amount to lose.

But, neither did I expect to spend the next seven weeks putting on and losing the same frustrating 2 pounds

I've read the tips on this board on stalls, but genuinely can't work out where I'm going wrong.

Sample daily menu: (the /means "or")

Breakfast: egg - scrambled/poached/boiled
Am snack: stick celery with cream cheese/oz madamia nuts/oz hard cheese/a small portion of seasonal berries/oz sunflower seeds
Lunch: mixed salad with ham/hardboiled egg/roast chicken/slice beef
PM snack: As am snack
Dinner: as lunch/steamed veg with chicken/beefburger/steak etc
Before bed: 100g plain organic yoghurt

I drink only herbal tea, water (litres of it!) and sometimes a couple of glasses of red wine.

I don't have time to keep a journal online, although I do keep a written record of what I've eaten. I tried to use Fitday but got exasperated at the US orientation of it and the time it was taking me to enter anything, so I gave up

Any other suggestions/advice would be really welcome. Thanks

Last edited by SylviaUK : Wed, Aug-13-03 at 07:12.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 11:07

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi sylvia,
just a thought, are you doing any exercise?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 15:37

BF:

Christine, in short, yes I walk for around 50 -60 minutes each day (on my way to/from work, and in the park most lunchtimes). I do strength training with dumbbell weights three times a week for 30 mins, and have a Pilates class once a week. I'm also a keen horse-rider at the weekend.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 01:45

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Sylvia

I know how frustrating that can be. I've been there twice before myself. The first time was because of low estrogen levels, menopausal symptoms. I don't know how old you are, so don't know if this is relevant or not. Once I went onto HRT and got the levels sorted I started losing again.

The second time was more recently and the main factor for me was that I was not going to the gym and stressing my body out. I was still doing my classes and generally keeping fit, but my body needs that extra push to lose weight. My body had got used to what I was eating and got on well with it.

Your menus look fine. I think there is round about the right amount of calories there, but you might want to add some salad dressing and see if a slight increase will help.

Have you taken your measurements lately? Have you looked at your body in the mirror. It may well be that things are changing and that body fat is being swapped for muscle. Muscle weighs more and so you do not drop weight, but do look a lot better in the process.

All I can say is keep focussed. You body will release its extra pounds, given time. Just be patient and think of all the other added extras this way of life is giving you. If you can run instead of walk then giving your body a shock with a different form of exercise could help.

Every success.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 08:13

BF:

Thanks, Anne and Christine. I'm approaching the big 4 zero (!), so hope it's not hormonal just yet. I had my thyroid tested last year when I put on two stones in six months without changing my eating habits and was told it's normal, although given the other symptoms I still think it maybe underactive.

I think I'll try adding a few more calories in the form of fat (eg olive oil on salad, mayonnaise, possibly even the occasional dessert). I can't run, unfortunately, due to a bad knee injury when I was a teen. But I'll consider other ways to up the exercise.

I'm not going to give up - but I am extremely frustrated right now
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 02:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Hi Sylvia

I hit a mini-stall because of the house move (particularly depressing because the ME reared its ugly head again )... knowing how frustrating it being like that for just a few days has been, you have my every sympathy.

I think partly its a question of being really observant about your own particular reaction to different food types. As Anne said, its well worth taking some time to tweak the balance a little and see what affect raising fats, lowering carbs or adjusting food portions has on your system... it could be that you simply raised the carbs too high when coming off induction?

Certainly I know very quickly if I'm not getting enough fat. Also I seem to only be able to tolerate the merest hint of carbohydrate, but then I was very ill when I started the diet, and am increasingly convinced it was largely due to my high carb diet, so to me that's just my body taking its time to repair the damage and get back on an even keel.

Dr Atkins does have a section in his book about extreme metabolic resistance and how to deal with it (essentially his message seems to be to make sure you're eating enough not to feel hungry, but stopping as soon as you reach that point and having no more), together with more extreme options like the "fat fast".

I think the big thing to remember is you actually lost as much weight in the first three weeks as you'd have lost from the full ten weeks on the misery of something like Weightwatchers! So you're still doing fantastically well... just hit a bit of a plateau.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 03:19
Registered Member

Stats: 143/131/126 Female 64inches
BF:22.7
Progress: 71%

This was happening to me for about 3 months bouncing back and forth up 3lbs then down 3lbs. A few days ago I gave up Mayo and lost 3lbs and am going down no more bouncing. Maybe if you gave up nuts and cheese you might see the difference.

Hope this helps.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:01

BF:

10 days later, and still the same story I'm thinking of trying the fat fast to get a kick-start, but I'm also going on holiday next week so maybe I'll wait until I'm back. Decisions, decisions

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and support. This forum is so friendly and informative, I can't imagine low carbing without it
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:13

BF:
Progress:

its maybe best waiting to do the fat fast until you get back from your hols.hope you have a nice time.why not start a journal when you get back.it might be worth a try.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhan
A few days ago I gave up Mayo and lost 3lbs and am going down no more bouncing.

Oh good point! I'm not gaining, but I have kind of stalled for a few days. I was putting it down to the lack of quorn etc I usually supplement my diet with (we're waiting on our new fridge being delivered, so food is kind of limited right now!). But of course, I normally make my own mayo which is 100% right for the diet but would go off really fast without a fridge. I've been eating bought stuff... I remember when I bought it noting the contents and figuring I'd see how it went. I just promptly forgot that's what I'd decided!

Thanks for the prompt Siobhan... very helpful.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:37

Poor Sylvia... really don't lose heart. Sounds to me like you'd do really well to just go out there, relax, have a fabulous holiday... and then decide what you want to do when you get back.

We all need to go away sometimes to view things with perspective. I'm sure your decisions will seem much clearer by the time you get back.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:54

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Lightbulb How the fat fast worked for me

Forgive me - pepsi max- Not to go against your suggestion, but I have almost completed a five day Fat Fast. I found it very helpful for me only because I am Metobolic Resistant.

In my case I lost nothing during the first two weeks of Induction. During week two I cut out all artificial sweetners (some people stall) and added a fiber supplement. During week three I cut out cheese, bacon and sausage carefully watching my salt intake because of water retention. During week four I increased my water intake to 4 litres daily. It was frustating because some people start this WOL and have great success, but for me I had to search out what caused my slow weightloss.

my contribution...warm regards,

Last edited by 94513 : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 11:01.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:11

BF:
Progress:

hi, you,ve done very well on your fat fast.i,m pleased it worked for you.i think its a good way to kickstart the metabolism and get the weightloss going,i just think before a holiday,there is so much to think about,preparations etc, that if sylvia waits till she gets back,she can really concentrate on it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:07

Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%

pepsi max
You have a really excellent point and you could be completely right!

SylviaUK
Best luck and wonderful holiday!

regards to both,
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 03:42

BF:

Thanks everyone. I've decided to wait until after my holiday and then, assuming the pattern continues, give the FF a go.

Yippee - holiday time at last See you all in ten days or so