Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 05:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Seratonins and Depression - HELP

Hi there,

Is there anybody out there who used to suffer from depression and did TSP and found it relieved their depression? If so, how longdid it take, what did they do etc???

I think my DH is suffering, he does eat large amounts of carbohydrates in the form of chocolates, bread, jam, cereal etc. I have tried talking to him about cutting down, but I think he finds it hard and prefers these 'easy' foods which he can grab quickly while at work or at home. When at home, I cook him low carb meals, but otherwise, it's mostly carbs.

Please, if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, it looks like he is going to have to visit the docs and get some medication, which isn't really the best thing, but may be unavoidable.

Thanks all
Ivana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 07:50

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

Unfortunately, we can't make the people we love do what we think is best for them. I can tell you're worried, but it is going to have to be his decision to want to get better and to decide on a path.

But if he does care, why not encourage him to read TSP and Potatoes not Prozac? The PnP plan might be a good way to go--it weans people off the carbs through a several step process, beginning with 1) simply eating protein at breakfast every day. It's a gentle approach, good for people who are terrified by cold turkey (and well they should be--they're drugging themselves with carbs, and for a good reason. Self-medication is something few of us want to end...but in this case, and many others, self-medication actually makes the problem WORSE, not better). So in PnP, every step goes further towards healing the brain chemistry, and so the plan tends to go slowly at first, then accelerate as the person's mind clears and they make better decisions. At some point, he then may be convinced to go the final step and be on a SP-type lifestyle.

HTH. Take good care of yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 07:52

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

oh yes, and St. John's wort at mealtimes and 5-HTP at bedtime may well help, too. Much better for us and less addictive than Zoloft or Prozac.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 15:13

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

TSP has a lot of information about seratonin and how low-carbing helps level it out.

I may not have had clinical depression, but I had terrible moods and was jeopardizing my job (customer service related) with my inability to deal with stress and any kind of upheaval (happens here hourly).

Within a week, I noticed a definite change in my mood and attitude. And I know it's because my seratonin levels were evening out. I went from terrible to so great I felt high to where I am now, which is very stable and happy. I am able to deal with my customers much better and I even got a compliment on it from my boss.

Evening out seratonin won't necessarily happen as fast for others as it did me. I think in many respects, I caught my problems just at the point before they became hard to reverse.

But LCing does help depression. It says so in the book . It also helps substance abuse problems because in many instances they are also related to seratonin levels. Dr. S. is very eloquent on the subject.

;-Deb