Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-17, 23:43

Plan: Less than 30g carbs
Stats: 349/286.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi Hallyth, glad to have you here

I too suffer with constipation on occasions. I try and get round it by adding coconut oil to my morning coffee and occasionally, when I'm feeling salt-deprived, I will concoct a disgusting drink with some orange squash, water, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of Lo Salt with about 6 grams of psyllium husk. It is truly rank but it does the job lol.

I find I spend less when doing low carb as I just don't need to eat as much. The challenge is to not over-buy for me, I hate wasting food.

Hope your mum is a bit more tolerant this time, explain to her the health benefits and perhaps she'll accept it more?

Anyway, welcome
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 16:25

Plan: atkins..paleo later
Stats: 182/173/154 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks. Mum has little choice or say really in what I eat, after all she never enters the kitchen these days, I shop, cook, do everything, so while I will make her whatever she fancies, she has no right to criticise my food. Those days are long gone!
Thanks to whoever suggested morrisons for bones etc, I looked today and came away with meaty beef bones, and lamb neck rings.never seen or had them, and I love lamb but never ever buy it because of cost (though mum has it a couple of times a month!) But neck rings were cheap! Long slow cooking but hey, they can cook while I do other stuff, can't wait to see how they are. Now I need to learn how to make beef broth or stock with these bones...fair bit of meat on them too! I looked at trotters, but no, couldn't bring myself to try them yet. Maybe one day. But yes, good on morrisons for different seldom seen cheap cuts!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 16:13
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly
Stats: 156.4/156.4/140 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi SugarSpike

I've noticed exactly the same thing as you in that I couldn't find any UK based support sites on low carb or specifically Wheat Belly and the American ones I found, like you, have American measurements, ingredients and retail outlets which are not feasible for us UK folk.
I wanted to be able to read about other people's experiences and successes before I commit myself to going grain free. I know I am going to find it really difficult to give up grains.....
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 00:25

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

BigPansey, I find American measurements in cups easier than dragging out the weighing scales. I got a set of plastic ones cheap from Poundland, or was it B and M or Yorkshire Trading? Ground almonds (almond flour) can be had from Aldi - it is not cheap! Coconut flour from Holland and Barratt or Grapevine. Worth sleeping an eye on Aldi, they are stocking more exotic stuff like coconut oil and coconut water.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 02:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hello my U.K. Friends. I'm subscribed to this thread because I posted before about Dr. Unwin.
http://healthinsightuk.org/2014/11/...tes-a-gps-tale/
His surgery is in Southport, I follow him on Twitter, don't think he has a website but he posts on diabetes.uk.org.

About recipes, Note that all the DietDoctor recipes have a built-in measurement converter, can also adjust for number of servings, and if you join, has 45 weekly meal plans with shopping lists. Tips to help you with recipe conversions here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Another LC GP. Dr McCormack practices in the Cheshire area.
http://www.fatismyfriend.co.uk. She has a FB group and is doing a LC programme locally.

Another new LC GP: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-journey-gp
Believe he is in Bristol.

Emily McGuire is a dietitian in Edinburgh, but can coach via skype anywhere. (She's lovely, I met her here a few years ago) Also has a good blog with recipes and basic LC info. https://lowcarbgenesis.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-24-17 at 04:57.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 07:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hello JEY100

Thank you very much for that information and those very helpful links; isn't it interesting that you know more about UK LC endorsing GP's than some of us Brits?
I think it says a lot that SugarSpike and I both found when looking that UK based sites were in short supply, if not totally non-existent; it makes me wonder if following the LC WOE is, in general, more patronised by the USA and people from other countries.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 07:19
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ambulo

Thanks for the tip on the very cheap American weighing cups; I've noticed that Almond flour is not cheap or even reasonable but it's ground nuts so it's not too surprising.
I was watching some really interesting videos on YT last night by a couple calling themselves Keto something (don't remember the something bit) and the young man was telling us how cheap the coconut flour he was using was; I thought to myself 'not in the UK matey'.
Every thing we get imported tends to be just the opposite; however the pizzas he was making with said coconut flour looked absolutely delicious and way more appetising than the cauliflower one I had a go at last week - my OH and I didn't manage to finish it because of the 'crust' element.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 08:26
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Ambulo

Thanks for the tip on the very cheap American weighing cups; I've noticed that Almond flour is not cheap or even reasonable but it's ground nuts so it's not too surprising.
I was watching some really interesting videos on YT last night by a couple calling themselves Keto something (don't remember the something bit) and the young man was telling us how cheap the coconut flour he was using was; I thought to myself 'not in the UK matey'.
Every thing we get imported tends to be just the opposite; however the pizzas he was making with said coconut flour looked absolutely delicious and way more appetising than the cauliflower one I had a go at last week - my OH and I didn't manage to finish it because of the 'crust' element.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 02:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I lived in London in the 1980s and still read U.K. Papers and Dr Zoe Harcombe's website. Read back through the Research and Media forum and you will find Demi, others and me posting LC related articles there.

Dr. Aseem Malhotra http://doctoraseem.com
Dr Ranjan Chatterjee http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470766. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477537

You should also check the Public Health Collaboration's website...loaded with info now including a map of many doctors all over the U.K. https://phcuk.org/map/

Some of my tips come from DietDoctor News, I read it everyday, and often see U.K. Low Carb news there. https://www.dietdoctor.com/news
Worth going back a few months in his news feed and joining his website.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 05:20

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPansy
I've noticed that Almond flour is not cheap or even reasonable but it's ground nuts so it's not too surprising.

Hi Big Pansy
If you have a Poundland near you, check out their baking section.
The one near me usually has 200g packs of ground almond. They cost £1, obvs!
Very very cheap compared to ordinary supermarkets, and Holland and Barrett should hang their heads in shame.

http://www.poundland.co.uk/store-finder/
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 07:04
Registered Member

BF:

Hi neo crone

Thank you for that - that is what is great about a forum the fact that you can share the information you have already painstakingly gleaned. It wouldn't have occurred to me to look in Poundland for something as 'exotic' as almond flour but there you go.
If only they'd start selling coconut flour....
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 16:52

BF:

I've found all kinds of flours in a local international supermarket. It's mostly asian, and it's huge (in leicester ) but has maybe 15 different flours, many are grain free and really cheap. Great for cheap spices and olives too!
Aldi have started doing 800+ grams of cooking bacon for 89p....it may not be the ideal organic, grass fed etc, but if you're on a budget.... also their bratwurst fresh sausage is very very low carb.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 16:54

BF:

Oh, by the way, I never fancied coconut oil in my coffee, but tried it today. Using aldi coconut oil, which seems very good, it was ok actually, coconut flavour/aroma coffee...not as yucky as I expected!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 03:02

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:

Lidl have ground almond for £1.65 per 200g pack, and raw almonds in their skin for £1.39 a 200g pack.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Diet Doctor lchf/Keto
Stats: 265/248/154 Female 5ft 6 ins
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi I'm a bit of a late arrival but a quick skim read through this post has been encouraging in that

a) I'm type 2 diabetic
b) Doing Keto/lchf/if
c) LOVE Lidl lol
d) Have problems with my diabetic nurse who was busy plugging the Ancel Keys food triangle. She's lovely but stuck in the same old rhetoric.
e) find it hard to access some of the stuff in recipes from across the pond.

Generally speaking I've tried to follow the advice of Butter Bob Briggs who has videos on You Tube and I KIS ... Keep it Simple. Sometimes though it is good to have something a little different.

I hope everyone is doing ok and being the best losers. I'm based over in N Ireland and know of no other Keto/Low Carbers/Atkins followers in my area. There is a high level of Slimming World and other conventional "diet" organisations available but most of my time has been spent on Diet Doctor where I have access to most of the things I need. Hope this finds everyone in good fettle and ready for a bright New Year.