Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:42

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%
Default The G.I. Diet, Canadian eh?

Has anyone tried "The G.I. Diet www.gidiet.com?
Rick Gallop the author was the president of the Heart and Stroke foundation of Ontario and has created a very easy and very do-able diet. I picked up his book in the bestsellers section of a bookstore and I thought at first this was too simple, but hey, it's working for me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 375/375/195 Male 6' 2"
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 0%

I've read the book but don't think he's really a low carb diet guy. I really like the way he colour codes the various foods (red/yellow/green) according to the glycemic index and nutritional value. Had you tried Atkins or other diest previously? How much weight have you lost so far?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 15:39

Plan: The G.I. Diet
Stats: 205/185/165 Male 71 inches
BF:29%/26%/23%
Progress: 50%

Hi Nursedude.
Your right that The G.I. Diet is not really low-carb but it is what you call "semi-low" which there is a forum for. Examples of semi-low carb are "The Zone" SugarBusters" and of course "The G.I. Diet".
I tried Atkins a couple of years ago and lost about 15 lbs. before I couldn't stand the sight of meat and cheese anymore. I wanted to hurl, woof my cookies, blow chunks........ etc.
I know Atkins works and works fast if you can handle staying on it, but I wanted to start a slow but steady lifestyle that I could live with, not feel hungry, eat right with no bad side effects and lose weight at a respectable average of 1 or 2 lbs. per week. I have been on this w.o.e. (way of eating) for 2 full weeks now and have lost 8 lbs. I know at first the weight can change rapidly when you start any diet but this is very encouraging, especially since I've cheated a couple of times.
This w.o.e. hasn't been a hardship at all and I feel like I can do this for the rest of my life. Plus I feel better because I am not spiking my insulin levels which is what tells the body to store fat.
All that being said, if you can handle and feel comfortable with Atkins, then you will see the most rapid results.
I know quite a few people have used Atkins to lose weight and followed a semi-low carb plan to maintain. I guess the thing is to stick to whatever plan you are on and if it doesn't work for you then try something that you can live with.

I started 2 weeks ago at 110 lbs. am now 102 lbs. and my goal is somewhere around 160 lbs. as I am 5'11".
I hope I don't crash and burn this time.
Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 15:53

Plan: The GI Diet
Stats: 170/165/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have Rick Gallop's second book - Living the GI Diet. I haven't started to completely follow everything, but that's happening as I now have my own place and no one can tell me what to cook. But I do find that even with some of the ideas being used, I feel better and my stomach is slightly flatter...8)