Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/187/120
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation cream cheese on fast fat??

Im doing the fast fat.......and im gonna eat nothing but cream cheese.....I was looking at the nutritional label and it says less then 1 grm of carbs.....and less then 1 grm of sugar...will this affect me?? the reason im doing this is because i have a low thyroid....and while on induction i have gained weight.....do you think that the fast fat will help me actually lose something?? thanx
~*LORENA*~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 01:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

SweetLoren, have you had a chance to look at the fat fast as outlined in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution yet?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 04:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/148/133
BF:
Progress: 29%

I also have a low thyroid and am doing this diet. I did it before and it worked, but have only been doing this now for three days and am already losing. Before going on a fat fast I would try drinking more water and maybe cutting right down on carbs just for a few days then gradually re-introduce them slowly, as people with slow thyroid sometimes need less carbs to kick start them
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 12:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

yes I have read the atkins outline of the fast fat....but it doesnt answer my question that I had about the fast fat.....I have tried cutting my carbs but it didnt help!.....thanx
Lorena
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 13:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Lorena

I see that Dr. Atkins suggests eating 10 oz of cream cheese as the day's intake for Fat Fast. However, this is only true for some cream cheeses, mostly all-natural, unprocessed types. The regular cream cheese that we generally buy in grocery stores, for example Kraft Philadelphia brand, is TOO HIGH IN CARBS to be suitable. Natural, unprocessed cream cheese has 1 gram of carb per ounce, which is 2 Tbsp. The regular processed kind, such as Kraft, is 1 gram per 1/2 oz. or single Tbsp (yes, the label says less than 1 gram, which means it's 0.99 grams ).

If you ate 10 ounces of regular cream cheese, you'd also be eating almost 20 grams of carbs AND over 20 grams of protein. Dr. Atkins says that you can only have 15g protein, and 10g carbs. The rest must be 100 grams of pure fat. He says that if you choose to drop the fat intake to 80%, or 90 grams of fat, you must use PROTEIN, not carbs to make up the difference. You must still keep the day's calories at 1,000 in either case.

You would be ok if you could find natural, unprocessed cream cheese. And make sure to have exactly 10 ounces, or 20 Tbsp. No more, no less. Drink lots of water. And don't do for more than two days, then follow the fast with a strict Induction day, lots of protein, and no fake carbs .. just vegetables.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanx doreen that helped me a lot....the cream cheese that I bought says 1 carb per 2 tblspns....so that should be ok then right?...and its less then 1grm of sugar?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:38
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Dr. Atkins says that you can only have 15g protein, and 10g carbs. The rest must be 100 grams of pure fat.

So, let's do the math...

1 oz. = 2 Tbsp. cream cheese

You can have 20 Tbsp. on fat fast and nothing else.

Your cream cheese has 1 gram per 2 Tbsp.

20 / 2 = 10

10 x 1 gram = 10 grams carbs

Using the same formula, figure out the protein count and see if it falls within the guidelines for Fat Fast.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:44
Registered Member

Stats: 272/190/165
BF:
Progress: 77%

The amount of carbs you have during the fat-fast can actually be higher, it really won't make any difference if you have 20 carbs or 2 when you do it. All cream cheese has at least 1 gram. The same thing goes for peanuts. Its not the low-carbs that get you to lose, its the high fat. Its the high ratio of fat to carbs that makes the fat-fast work. I hope you tried induction levels first though.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 15:35
Forum Founder

BF:

Not that I believe Dr. Atkins is God, or by any means right all the time, but I'm sure during his clinical studies that he must have had a sound reason for the formula:

15g protein
10g carbs
100 g fat

Before fiddling with something that is tried and true, it's probably better to do it as advised at first, then adjust it later.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:

Well the carbs are the ones they are because you'd have a tough time finding a natural food that had fewer carbs with more fat. The Cream Cheese and macadamias are the fattiest one can find.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 14:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by tecaddict
Well the carbs are the ones they are because you'd have a tough time finding a natural food that had fewer carbs with more fat.

You would?

Olive oil, flaxseed oil, butter, walnut oil.

N
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 15:03
Registered Member

BF:

Well point taken. E-mail atkins.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 18:03
Forum Founder

BF:

The "carbs are probably the ones they are" because it's nice to feel like you've actually eaten something. 8 Tbsp. of oil a day is not the most exciting or satisfying thing to consume.

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-01, 20:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

To quote Ruth, oil sipped off a spoon is 'barforama'. 8 tbsp would be 'barfofest' However, it can be done. But not by me.

N
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-01, 22:11

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile Heard my name

Yup, I still stand by my statement, sipping oil off a spoon is a barforama. It caused involuntary shudders and I don't know when, if ever, I'll have the courage to try again.