Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Ketostix.. is it necassary?

I've been low carbing for 10 days now and have lost 6lbs. Should I check my keto???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 14:11

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

well you are losing weight, so why to check? personally i've never used them, and you look like u're doing really WELL!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-01, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I just hear about a lot of people using them..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 14:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie with questions

There are basic necessities in life: Food, water, shelter...etc. In my case, one item that I cannot live without is my Starbucks 'Iced Grande Percent White Mocha'! If I stick to the LC diet, oh say, withith 20 grams of carbs while also having one of my specialty drinks per day, will it make a huge difference in results? Will it absolutely negate my efforts, or will it simply take longer to lose my 15 pounds?

Also, how long before my Ketostix become 'trace, moderate' from a negative reading? (on avg?)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 14:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default where's the beef?

I paid $10.00 for a bottle of ketostix (50). I used about five sticks and now I never test with them anymore. I wish I'd never bought them. They haven't told me a single useful thing, as far as I can tell. From what I've heard, you can be in ketosis, or at least can lose weight, even if nothing registers on them. And if they turn purple on you, chances are you're dehydrated. So what do they tell you, really? What matters is: are you or are you not losing weight? Don't torture yourself over ketostix.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:34

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Where do you get 50 for $10? I can't find them at Walmart (maybe I'm blind) and when I did find them (almost a year ago) it was like $30 for 50. I'd rather not mail order... Any big chains in the US that carry them cheap? I've yet to pee on a ketostick and would like to try it.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:47
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

As a PP follower, I lost 50 pounds before ever hearing of a Ketostix. So I would definitely say they aren't necessary.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
...that I cannot live without is my Starbucks 'Iced Grande Percent White Mocha'!

Read Carbohydrate Addicts and decide if it is the right plan for you instead of Atkins. Sugar does not fit into a hard-core low-carb way of life.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 00:51

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hey there Meeker -

You have to ask the pharmacist for the ketostix - they're very often kept behind the counter. No, you don't need a prescription or anything, they just keep them there for some reason.

I like to use them occasionally just for additional support and confirmation that I'm in ketosis - just for a little tiny lift. Mine always always meaures the next to the darkest purple and I'm not dehydrated. So everybody is different.

Quote:
Also, how long before my Ketostix become 'trace, moderate' from a negative reading? (on avg?)

It took me 2 days...I'm not sure about the average, can just tell you my experiences. But if you're intaking that sugar filled coffee drink, I'd expect a bigger delay.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 07:31

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Meeker,

If you MUST try ketostix, I bought mine at Rite Aid in Los Angeles, but I'm sure they have them other places. They were $10 for a bottle of 50, if you call that "cheap." They are usually found with the diabetics' blood sugar testing supplies, or sometimes it's easier to just ask the pharmacist where they are, because they might be behind the counter. Have fun.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 14:16

Stats: 120/120/105
BF:
Progress:

I wonder if the amount of your water intake has anything to do with the results. I understand that you will get the darker results when you are more dehydrated, however what if you are in the moderate area technically, but your readings are still negative? (Due to an increase of water in your system, which would perhaps dilute the ketones to the point of compromising your results - If this were true, wouldn't this make the ketostix pretty much useless?)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 14:52

Stats: 200/195/130
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally posted by Meeker
Where do you get 50 for $10?...

Meeker -

I got mine at Walgreens (50 for $10). They keep them behind the pharmacist's counter there too.

Happy hunting!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 18:54

Plan: Don't know
Stats: 260.2/254.2/150 Female 68in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Walgreens... that works. I don't think we have Rite Aid here.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 20:05
Registered Member

Stats: 187/181/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 12%
Smile

I got mine at Safeway 50 for $7.49 Canadian. I had to ask the pharmacist for them, but didn't need a prescription. I like them for some form of support or affirmation. Have a good evening!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 21:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by crider100
I wonder if the amount of your water intake has anything to do with the results. I understand that you will get the darker results when you are more dehydrated, however what if you are in the moderate area technically, but your readings are still negative? (Due to an increase of water in your system, which would perhaps dilute the ketones to the point of compromising your results - If this were true, wouldn't this make the ketostix pretty much useless?)

Ketostix are effected by water. Dark purple is ususally an indication that you're dehydrated. And to a certain degree, yes they can be useless This of course is just my humble opinion. If you're new to LC they can give you the motivation you need to keep it up. Progress you can see. After a certain point they really aren't necessary... you can tell if you're in ketosis w/o them. And to boot, some people never show even a trace and yet they lose weight. If you're not hungry, you have a strange taste in your mouth, or you've noticed that your urine has a different smell to it (hey, we can talk about anything here!) then you're in ketosis.

Nat