Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 14:39

Plan: Atkins/Kaufmann
Stats: 230/203/140
BF:48
Progress: 30%

Was just thinking.....If I can't lose pounds on Induction, how would I EVER drop any by going off it?

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Induction and losing pounds

The idea of induction is to get you into ketosis fully. Then the idea (in my mind) is to see how many carbs you can add back in and still lose weight / inches.

If your not losing at or above a certain number of carbs, then lower your carb count. You should be losing pounds / inches while in the induction plan. (Below 20-grams a day) If your not, there could be a couple reasons why.
1-Your carb count is really higher than you think it is.
2-The weight your at now, was a weight you stayed at for a while, while gaining. That's where I stalled while losing. I was at 235-lbs for a long time, on the way up. Now when losing, I stalled at that same weight for close to 2-months, sticking to the LC WOL very closely and being below 20-grams a day. You just have to wait it out unfortunately.
3-Continue to drink lots of water.
4- Check to see if you are in ketosis. (strips) Verify you are in it.

I know I didn't lose sometimes for a week or 2, then wham, it starts melting away again. Just be patient. As they say, you didn't gain this weight overnight, it's not going to go away overnight either. (I know we wish it would)

Re-check all your foods and stay the course, give it a little time. It will happen for you.
Cheers, John
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 11:06

Stats: 230/197/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Kent,

Just want to keep you posted -- your advice worked great for me! I finally broke my stall -- I lost 4 pounds last week!!!!

Hopefully, this downward trend will continue now.

Thanks again for all of your help!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:53

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Thumbs up

Peg,

Well done. Congratulations.....

Try to get as much out of this run as you can. You should be able to average 1.5 to 2 pounds a week on a continuing basis if you are very strict on your eating. Be careful of a new stall or possibly a bounce-back if you try to eat more. I am in a deliberate pause right now but intend to go another step lower soon. I cannot loose weight at this level without a little inconvenience of being hungry at times. Eat plain veggies without any dressings containing fats when you get hungry between meals. Eating just a little to much fat will stop my weight loss even when carbs are less than 20 gm.

You should be able to repeat the process anytime you want to move to a new lower level.

Kent
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:55

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Kent
I too want to thank you for your advice. July 13 (Sat) was one month LCing and I have lost 13 lbs and a lot of inches! I am pretty happy with that because I also got into the gym very regularly!!!

Thanks for your advice. I am mainly still eating "induction" foods but I slip in a few treats here and there and dont worry about them. The treats are peanut butter or a few small nuts here and there!!

Thanks again--
Vicki
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 17:01

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20

You are very welcome Vicki.

Congratulations.....

Keep up the good work.

Kent