Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-19-09, 11:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default The good things (and bad) about body fat.

Hmmm... this is an interesting thought. Is body fat a bad thing, or a good thing? We know now it's an organ like any other in your body, an endocrine organ and that it secretes hormones. Are they bad hormones? Well, not necessarily. Adeponectin does the following:
Quote:
# reduces liver glucose production

# increases glucose uptake in the muscles and adipose tissues

# causes oxidation of fats which leads to less lipid production

# has anti-inflammatory properties

# protects the heart against ischemia and reduces myocardial infarct size

# acts as an anti-clotting factor

# increases nitric oxide production in the vasculature leading to a greater dilation of the vessels

More here: http://nephropal.blogspot.com/2009/...diponectin.html

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Dec-19-09 at 11:28.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 07:39
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Actually, I *don't* know that much about the nature of fat, and have been wondering about that lately.

It's my understanding that fat cells can be full, empty, or somewhere in between of the actual fat, but never go away. So perhaps storage is only one of their functions--you mention several other things it does. So do these cells function better, or worse, or about the same whether they are full or not? Perhaps they carry out the same functional operations more effectively when they are *not* stuffed.

I'm also curious about the `old fat/new fat' notion. A lot of old ideas floating around, a lot of anecdotal stuff. Is there more that research has contributed to this understanding? I've read somewhere that all the fat in the cells are in circulation daily, that they go out and in this cellular swing-your-partner, and that's were the measurable triglycerides come from in blood tests.

But then comes the anecdotal--many of us have experienced the phenomenon of it being easier to lose recently-gained weight, but then come to these setpoints or get down to losing `old fat', to a weight where we have turned around in the past, and find that weight doesn't leave as easily.

So what's up with this? Is there such a thing as `old fat'? Is it chemically or physically different from `new fat'? Are fat cells cells that have functions independent of whether or not they are storing a lot of fat? What is the truth of that idea that we never lose fat cells (they just shrink) but that we can add more?

What is the nature of this stuff that we have wrestled with for so long? I'd really appreciate information if you have it to share.

Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-09, 10:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
It's my understanding that fat cells can be full, empty, or somewhere in between of the actual fat, but never go away.

That's actually not true. They know now that fat cells are like almost every other cell in the body with a life cycle. They do die.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-23-09, 11:39

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

The more fat cells we have, the less adiponectin we produce.

Patrick