Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-13, 21:40

Plan: CAD
Stats: 141/140/120 Female 5ft 0in
BF:
Progress:
Default New here, questions about allowed foods

Hi there!

I'm new here and haven't gotten any of the books yet. A friend of mine told me about CAD and I'm really interested. I'm not very overweight however as I age my constant snacking and inability to control my sugar/baked goods cravings is catching up with me. I have at one point after my last baby, tried to give up all white sugar cold turkey. Only thing I allowed myself was honey and pure maple syrup sometimes. It worked for a while and then I cheated and it was all downhill from there!

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. When can I have coffee with cream? Only at RM Or can I have it at CM too?
2.Are any beans/legumes ok to eat during CM? And during RM are they considerend part of your carb portion?
3. My RM tonight was pizza but I had no meat (usually I use homemade pizza as one of our vegetarian meals and since I just found out About this two days ago I'm not prepared). So can the cheese count as my 1/3 protein?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-13, 01:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I can only answer from an atkins viewpoint

1, Unsweetened cream is allowed

2, beans/legumes are considered fairly high in carbs

3, pizza made with a flour base is a no no. You can make it with almond flour - cheese is ok tho. If RM stands for "reward meal"??? then its not something I'd reward myself with - IMO its like a recovering smoker allowing himself a reward cigarette or two lol!!!

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-13, 08:21

Plan: Looking around...
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ummibee, welcome to CAD!

CAD/CALP is very different to Atkins in many ways, so where ojoj wrote about not having pizza made with flour, that's inaccurate for this WOE. You can have pizza at your RM. And yes, the RM is an integral and essential part of this WOE too - and it does stand for Reward Meal. And it's exactly that, the time we get to eat the carbs,in balance with our protein and veggies, that aren't allowed on the Atkins plan.

Secondly, beans and legumes are permitted, but only at RM. Your CM's must be low carb.

Third, we're only allowed coffee with cream once a day. You can have it at any time you like, but you must drink it all within 15 minutes of starting to drink it.

Post #2 on this thread is very helpful as a quick cheat sheet.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117419

But I definitely recommend you get one of the books.
Also come along to the daily thread, HourPower #5. Everyone there will help with your questions.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-13, 14:08
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
the 'cheat sheet' is a guide that is not a replacement for the book.
There is a good post on the thread from earlier this year that is really helpful too.

You can have coffee with cream ONCE outside of your RM- and it is supposed to be finished in 15 minutes. You can also have coffee with your RM.
The RM is a BALANCED meal of vegggies/protein/carbs. When I eat Pizza I have a large salad with grilled chicken AND the pizza.
Glad you are looking into LC as a lifestyle!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-13, 03:25

Plan: Looking around...
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes, just to be clear although I did say in my original post that I definitely recommend getting one of the books, the cheat sheet is just a quick guide.
It's important, IMO to read at least one of the books - I've got CAD, CALP and the 7 day Rescue plan one - because they help you to understand the plan much better and reading them can help with motivation too.