Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:26
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%
Angry Why Haven't I Reached Ketosis?

I don't understand why I haven't reached KETOSIS am i doing something wrong? I have followed all the ATKINS induction rules, kept my carbs under 22grams, don't eat or drink anything that has sugar on it and even exercise once in a while but i can't reach my goal. I am in the last 15 pounds to reach my goal of 97lbs for my 5'1 height. What's wrong here? I mean, i have done exactly everything by the book and still have difficulties losing those last 15 pounds I'm getting so frustrated with this diet that i'm thinking of just leavin it, especially now that i broke one of the rules and ate fruits (watermelon yummy). I'll start again tomorrow and will go again through the 2 weeks of induction phase but i need help cos i can't see what i'm doing wrong here. Is ATKINS all about PROTEINS and no carbs and sugars? I know from it just what i have read so far and that's not much cos i'm barely by Chapter 4 of DR. ATKINS NEW DIET REVOLUTION. I also haven't got to that Chapter where the whole process of KETOSIS is explained so i don't know much about it either. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any feedback is greatly appreciated... really, anything at all cos i know most of you guys have read the whole but already

P.S. How do i put and icon next to my posts? How do i start a journal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: No plan right now
Stats: 148/146/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Are you drinking tons of water?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:
Wink

Correction from last post:

Forgot to add "BOOK" in my last line but you know what i mean right?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Can you post a couple menu's of what you generally eat in a day? That might be easier.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:34
Registered Member

BF:

hey sobxlady!

Yep!! i'm drinking between 24oz-64oz each day, depending on my mood and how thirst i'm.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:35

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Can you tell us what you have been eating. I am looking for
Franken foods and hidden carbs. Also not that 2 grams would make the difference by 20 carbs sould be your target.
Fruit. Fruit contains Fructose (fruit Sugar) that will refill your liver Glycogen levels and keep you from Ketosis.
How much water are you drinking? Any exercise?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859 Read this.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=183774
Jag
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:38

Stats: 213/165/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

The lowest ideal weight I could find for a small framed 5'1" woman was 101 pounds. The range on different "ideal weight" sites was 101 to 135. If you are now actually at your ideal weight you probably will not lose anything on Atkins.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:

Well let's see... For breakfast i'll usually have some 2-3 fried eggs with 1 bacon or f1 ried hot dog(the ones with low carbs). Then around 1pm i eat lunch and that usually consists of either 2 pieces of broiled chicken or steak with 1 cup of salad and lots of mustard(to give some flavor to the meat cos then it would just taste pretty bad) and another bottle of 8z water. After lunch i might still be hungry so for a snack i'll eat a can of tuna with some mayo and again 1 bottle of 8z water. By night I don't usually get hungry but if i'm i'll have something small, maybe just tuna again or chicken but no salad. You can pretty much see that my menu isn't that great, just plain old simple meals that can be made in less than 15 minutes or so. I wish i knew of other things to cook but i hardly have any time for that (too busy with work n school) and even if i did had the time i wouldn't know how cos i am an awful bad cook. So anything that's easy, simple and just ready to eat i'll have. But now i'm trying to find some new things to make cos this menu is making me sick, have had TOO MUCH eggs already > yuck!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 12:51

Stats: 280/188/150 Female 66"
BF:Day37=2"loss belly
Progress: 71%

Is your fat level >65% of your calories and protein <30% of your calories???
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:03

Plan: High Protein/LowCarb
Stats: 345/307/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 21%

This WOE requires a lot of self modifications. You have to kind of tailor the diet to your own needs.

1) your body may be already at the lowest weight it wants to be.
2.) Make sure you read the ingredients. Some companies market low carb products, but upon reading the ingredients, you'll find that there are hidden sugars in the form of corn syrup or brown sugar. Also stay away from all process foods, even low carb hot dogs while you're getting started. Those are usually the culprits for hidden sugars.

3.) When I had a problem staying in ketosis, I found the drinking a lot of water, I mean like at least 3 liters a day, helped kick me back in ketosis. I am also they type that cannot eat any low carb products such as Atkins shakes and bars. They stall me. When I keep it all natural, the scale starts moving.

I hope some of this info has helped you. If you have any more questions, feel free to stop by my journal and drop a dime!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 13:03

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

All righty now, Your foods look OK.
Keto stix measure "excess" ketones in your urine. You don't have to show on a keto stix to actually be in Keto/liposis. Some people who workout alot actually burn the ketones and don't have "excess" in their urine. I do CKD and it takes me 2.5 - 3 days to show on the stix. I don't worry about the sticks because I can "feel when I am in Ketosis.
Keep your calories 10-15 % below Adjusted BMR and stay away from Franken foods, exercise regularly and you will lose weight.

Jag
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 15:29

Stats: 150/145/120 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 17%

How do you "feel" when your body is in Ketosis?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 16:41
Registered Member

BF:

According to some users and Janie3k:

Quote:
There are many ways to know that you are in ketosis..I use the ketostix to tell but you can also tell if you have strong and strange smelling breath, urine, or body odour...there are other ways as well.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 16:44
Registered Member

BF:

I haven't tried the Ketostix but i have heard that it's a good tool to use when trying to find out if one is going through Ketosis. I would really like to trt them but don't know where to buy them, any idea where i can get them?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 16:57

Plan: atkins ish
Stats: 150/147/120 Female 5'3
BF:NoMore Preggers!
Progress: 10%

I also agree with threeJ-your already pretty tiny now-My friend who is 5ft is 101 and that is where her Dr says she should be. I know though that I would like to be on the smallest end of the scale also! But you just have to be careful, you don't want to lose AF!! Take care