Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 06:19

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 225/225/130 Female 59
BF:
Progress:
Default Cravings

How long does it take to stop the cravings? And so they come back when they are gone on induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 06:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If your cravings come back, then you are eating too many carbohydrates for YOU.

Quote:
2. Eat According to Your Hunger

One of the very best things about a low-carb diet is that your hunger should adjust so that you are taking in fewer calories. If you are eating the right amount of carbohydrate for your body, the food cravings you may have been experiencing should calm down. (People often talk about "feeling normal around food" and what a wondrous experience that is.) If you're still feeling urges to eat when you aren't hungry, you may be still eating too much carbohydrate.

Why "climbing the ladder" should be very slow and carefully monitored. Quote from Dr. Westman's tips, more here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:32

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

The roaring cravings settled down for me after about the first week. If I eat something with hidden sugar (like restaurant salad dressing or seasoning) I might have a resurgence of physical cravings for sugar, but that doesn't last long.

I still have mental cravings sometimes though, out of habit or suggestion or some other trigger. Those cravings aren't overwhelming and I can either ignore them or eat something legal to make them go away.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:52

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

My usual response for these kinds of questions is: Are you tracking food intake in a program like FitDay or MyFitness? Tracking allows you to go back and see what has gone wrong when you gain... or right when you lose.

It could be something as small as too much protein and not enough fat, or eating something you're sensitive to, like dairy, etc. Can you give us a typical menu that makes you have cravings?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 12:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

First rule of cravings is: If you cave, you'll crave. More.

Second rule of cravings is: It is of no importance. They come and go. They last a minute or two and then you get distracted and it is gone. It may come back, but so what? It is only when you decide the craving is important then it becomes the loudest voice clamoring in your head. You could've decided to do something else to distract yourself, but no, you indulged in inflating your craving into an obsession.

LOL! This is as much for my benefit as yours. ;-)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

My way of dealing with cravings, when they come, as they still do, occasionally, is two pronged.

1) Get the heck out of the kitchen. It's not when I'm changing the sheets that I have cravings. It's when I'm sitting at the kitchen table, reading the paper.

2) If I'm really hungry, eat something 100% OP. Bacon is good. Bacon is really good; it shuts that carb craving person in my head up RIGHT NOW.

If it's JUST a craving, it'll go away. Hunger feels different from a craving, and I've had to learn to tell the difference.