Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/182/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default 1st Day & Struggling

Hello, everyone I did this 6 years ago and it worked great but I'm really struggling today to not eat a bowl of cereal. Please help as discipline and self motivation are not plentiful right now. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 15:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome, Rain. First days are never easy. In fact, if you are seriously beginning a low-carbohydrate lifestyle, the first month might not be "easy." Your body is making a huge adjustment. But in a short time, you won't be relying on willpower anymore, because you'll be eating in a way that makes your body and YOU happy and healthy.

Trust me?

But help yourself now: remove from your house everything that has carbohydrate. Toss that cereal, or take it to the neighbors. If you have flour, sugar, potatoes, crackers, rice, popcorn, or any other food not allowed by the low carb list, REMOVE it from your premises.

As for motivation, what are you hoping for? Post again, and we'll be your cheerleaders.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 16:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. You have helped me get my mind and thoughts in the right direction. I've thrown it all away, thanks to you I believe I'm ready for this journey!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 16:55

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yes, get rid of the carb items, and eat protein! If you are struggling - eat some chicken, a bun less burger or ham!

Olives are yummy, eat something you've denied yourself on other "diets"... Bacon, or cheese! Have some celery or cucumber with cream cheese! Eat half an avocado. There are lots of "okay" foods.

DONT BE HUNGRY!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 17:11

Stats: 194/194/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

When I crave sugar I eat a pickle... Helps every time.
Make sure to only bring food items you are allowed into the home - less temptation.
It will get easier!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 17:23
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to everyone. I'm believing more and more that I can do this. Also, I've never eaten a pickle so this should be fun!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-16, 17:59

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good for you for pushing through the craving! You can do this!

Every time I get a pang like that, or if I can't tell if I'm hungry or just bored, I decide to eat a hard boiled egg. If I actually eat it I was probably truly hungry, and/or it kills any other craving entirely.

Pickles are pretty fantastic, too. I just put up 15 pint jars of them tonight and 21 earlier this week with cukes from my garden. My husband and I go through a lot of pickles. LOL
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 07:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4KOOrz/]
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 11:50

Plan: <30 total carbs
Stats: 216/183/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 41%

In the early days of induction I go crazy with bacon, Alfredo sauce and whatever else I really like. It helps to find something enjoyable. Good luck!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-16, 14:53

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

At first, just to convince yourself you aren't being deprived, don't worry about how much fat and protein -- just indulge yourself (I loved steak, avocado, and olives). Just get over the hump of starting back again. In just a few days you'll discover that you self-moderate because it's all so rich and decadent, you just don't want as much. In a couple of weeks, once you're in ketosis, you should not be craving much at all. Then if your weight loss starts slowing down (as it inevitably does for a lot of us), then you can start worrying about how much protein, how much dairy, etc. I think it's actually quite fun and empowering in the beginning -- you feel like you're taking control.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 07:47
Registered Member

BF:

Your right, Im now on day 3 and I feel better this morning than yesterday and I feel like I'm actually going to do this, I'm going to take back control over my bad eating habits. Thank you.

Last edited by Rain1 : Sun, Jul-24-16 at 08:08.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-16, 16:44

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

It helps sometime not to think of the food that is forbidden, but dwell on the food you can eat. Also if you eat some fat that often helps

I had a rough time with donuts. I loved them. So I made oopsie rolls and drizzled lc glaze on it. Not exactly what I wanted but it got me over the hump. I can now pass a bakery without going into a depression. And I haven't had to resort to making oopsie roll sweet rolls in over 2 years. So you just have to be kind to yourself and the cravings will pass.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-16, 11:57

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
Also if you eat some fat that often helps

Fat is the answer for me. I make deviled eggs with lots of mayo in the filling and keep them in the fridge for quick snacks, or just eat a piece of cheese with a slab of my favorite grass-fed butter on it (yes, I'm a butter snacker!). I also have just learned to accept that the first week of induction is going to suck, and remind myself that it's only a week and it will be over soon.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-16, 12:30

Stats: 170/170/155 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:

I' 'back' on low carb after some at gain. Seeing a lot of people snacking on butter. Is that to curb the sugar cravings and stop hunger (which makes sense)? Stupid question- how do you eat it? My wee grandson (and his dad before him) used to eat it with a finger. Is there another way? I am intrigued........
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-16, 13:11

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybill2
I' 'back' on low carb after some at gain. Seeing a lot of people snacking on butter. Is that to curb the sugar cravings and stop hunger (which makes sense)? Stupid question- how do you eat it? My wee grandson (and his dad before him) used to eat it with a finger. Is there another way? I am intrigued........

I eat it with a spoon, or just slice off a small pat with a knife and let it melt in my mouth. It's also great on top of slices of firm cheese. I prefer it fairly cold so that it can melt slowly - if it's soft/room temp, it melts faster in my mouth than I prefer. It definitely stops hunger for me, and generally helps with carb cravings as well.