Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/168/133
BF:
Progress: 51%

Yeah, I always make sure I break a sweat on the bike - takes me about 10 mins to get to that stage, but I think it does me good!

Still ploughing along without a cig - had chicken curry again tonight - much yumminess!

Sometimes I use fitday - but more to find out how many calories/carbs are in a particular thing, rather than to track my daily amounts. I seem to be able to manage that OK in my head - at least, it's worked until now!

I'm being 'kind' to myself this week, 'cos of the not smoking. If I feel like nibbling something low carb, then I do - not worrying about amounts this week. I'll start being strict again next Monday.

I'm feeling good again this evening - had a few dodgy moments earlier today when I was craving nicotine - but they passed, and I'm still an ex-smoker....phew!

On to tomorrow - Day 3!

Jo

I have chosen not to smoke for 1 Day 19 Hours 16 Minutes 46 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 54. Money saved: €13.52.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 07:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%

Going well, end of day 2, phew, no cigs, went for a 2 hr cross country run, managed to avoid any cravings.

Had a few strawberries the first fruit in 22 days
strangely enough I have not lost any body fat, and my weight is exactly the same, even though I followed induction riguroulay , however I did no exercise for 20 days untill yesterday as I felt so weak.
I am sure I have lost muscle mass as I can feel and see that my mussels have shrunk and thats all, well lets see what happens as I have started exercising again.
Main thing is I have not smoked today..
R
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:

Great to see you're still sticking with it! I'm impressed by the 2hr run - can't remember the last time I ran for more than 2 minutes!

Just got back from a cycle ride into the village and back again (for more cream!) - which was around 5 miles in total. Did another 7 miles on the exercise bike this morning (it was raining again!), so I'm feeling virtuous. I couldn't believe how easy the ride into the village was, though - I really used to struggle with it (hills) - but today wasn't hard at all! Either I've got a bit fit, or the not smoking has made a HUGE difference already!

Oh, did I mention that I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 4 lbs?

Hardly any cravings today - life is good!

Jo

I have chosen not to smoke for 2 Days 15 Hours 53 Minutes 15 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 79. Money saved: €19.96.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 09:03

Jo thats brilliant 4 pounds huh ?
Also the exercise is going really well.
Still its 11.15 time for bed, tomorrow is a working day DANGER...zone.
I tended to smoke in my office when on the computer, suppose I'll have to just do something else instead, I will put an aromatherapy device in my office instead, stocked up with chewing gum..
Keep your fingers crossed.
R
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 09:25

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 160/160/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

It seems ya'll are on a roll. I haven't smoked and this is my third day on this diet but i am trying to get motivated to exercise?
Can't seem to though. I felt really great when i was walking and i do have all day to do what i want until my classes start. I just cant get in the groove ,any ideas? I 've lost my will to exercise. That cant be good.
It sounds like yall have beautiful places to exercise.(in the hils to the village) Must be nice. I live in the country but nothing breath taking. Anyhow sitting at the computer isnt going to get me walking. lol

Pandora
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 18:05

Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Congrats!!!

To everyone posting in this thread you are doing an awesome job of being a non-smoker! As of today it has been 9 weeks for me! I feel great, in fact I even jogged the other day instead of walking. My main concern was weight gain since I worked so hard to get into maintainence. So far the scale says I am up only 5 pounds and since I have added resistance training the last 6 weeks it is more than likely muscle than fat. Keep up the hard work everyone, we can do this!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 23:40

Pandora,
My attitude toward exercizing went fro 100% to ZERO overnight when I started the A diet, I was not eating enough calories --so I'm told.
I started again 2 days ago ...today I ache all over but I do have to push myself, after the first 8-9 mins its not so rough after that--.
I live right next door to a gym and 2 swimming pools, plus alot of mountains and trails, so I suppose you could say I am spoilt for choice,
My weight loss progress has not really been that evident yet.22days

No cigs today--its now 1.45pm on a work day--remarkable, going strong.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 01:09
Registered Member

BF:

The funny thing is, until recently, I used to think that exercise was for other people, and not for me. At 205 lbs, I felt totally daft being seen on a bicycle. I'm not sure what changed.

I know I started cycling when I was about 2 weeks into a stall. I just wanted to see the scales moving again, and it worked! Then, I couldn't seem to stop - because I remembered how difficult it was the first day (when I did a whole 2 miles!), and I didn't want to have to go through that again, so I didn't dare miss a day after I'd started.

That was why we got the exercise bike. The weather took a turn for the worse here (and has stayed consistently yucky since!) and after one wet cycling episode, I wanted to find a way to maintain the little fitness I'd achieved, without getting soaked or blown over...

Now I dare to have a day off from time to time - and at last I'm noticing an improvement in my fitness level - which is so encouraging! It also makes cycling outside a lot more enjoyable - I don't tremble at the prospect of every little hill any more...

I think the key is finding something that you enjoy - cycling was it for me because we have pretty countryside around here, and it was nice to get out and see it. If I'd started with the exercise bike, I think I would have given up long ago!

I think I'm beginning to scare my friends - I've gone from a couch potato who loved to eat, drink and smoke to someone who exercises, is getting smaller, doesn't smoke, and drinks only in moderation in the space of 3 months!

Even I wonder what's happened to me.... but if it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone - just believe in yourself and you ability to change yourself (after all, you're the only one who can!).

Oh, and I recommend Allen Carr's books (he's got ones on weight loss, alcohol and smoking) to help change attitudes. I started reading the smoking one as a total sceptic, and ended up finding it not to difficult to stop....

Hope some of that ramble above helps someone!

Jo

I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Days 8 Hours 11 Minutes 32 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 100. Money saved: €25.06.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 08:10

Jo, Another day bites the dust--had a real urge at
around 7pm but resisted the temptation, Im fine now..had some sunflower seeds then cheese and then dinner. Im starting a journal...
keep going Jo
Richard
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 08:50
Registered Member

BF:

Hi again Richard!

I'm still doing fine - had a nasty moment earlier when I found almost a whole pack of ciggies and 5 lighters under the bed - but I burned them all in the fireplace! Phew!

I still can't believe this is working! Time for another bowl of strawberries, I think - yum!

Jo

I have chosen not to smoke for 3 Days 15 Hours 21 Minutes 6 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 109. Money saved: £27.30.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 09:18

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

whoo hoo, jo! I'm SO impressed with that burning the cigs--that's like finding a chocolate bar and shoving it down the garbage disposal. you go!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 00:34
Registered Member

BF:

It was a bit like having an out of body experience - I was 'watching' myself do it, and marvelling! Let me tell you - cigarettes do NOT burn easily, either...LOL!

Anyway, here I am on Day 5, still smoke free - definitely fewer cravings now, and other people's smoke is smelling horrible. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I can see this leading to me not wanting to go to the pub any more - 'cos it's smelly. This could cause problems socially and relationship-wise, as it's the social hub....

Next battle to fight is probably the one where I try not to become one of those rabid ex-smokers. I can hear myself now: 'if I can do it, anyone can...' (which is true, but I reckon you also need to have read the Allen Carr book!)

I'm not saying that my quit is a done deal, but I really have no desire whatsoever to smoke at this stage - it feels as though I could just forget all about smoking now and get on with my life. I'm probably wrong, and there's a massive craving hiding around the corner...LOL!

How're you doing, Richard? Cravings fading? I've had a few 'smoking' dreams, where I smoke when asleep... guess the subconscious is alive and well and still a smoker.... luckily the conscious knows better now!

I am so pleased with the way this week has gone so far. If anyone is reading this and thinking about quitting (like I read loads of threads before I started stopping!) - then believe me, it can be done, and it doesn't have to be awful!

Can you tell I'm feeling really positive today?

Jo

I have chosen not to smoke for 4 Days 7 Hours 35 Minutes 28 Seconds. Cigarettes not smoked: 129. Money saved: £32.37.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-24-02, 08:41

Hello Jo
Richard checking in, I had a very busy day today.
quick bfst of macadamia nuts and cheese..

My excom meeting was 2 hrs, then a lunch with another GM non-smoker(no problemo).

I had an all protein --fatty, Thai sliced grilled beef and pork and Thai chicken curry with coconut milk with a couple of lettuce leaves 3 perrier waters. He ate all the rice and had fruit yuck.

Then checked my email before going into a 5 hr meeting from 2.30-7.30 pm with the property owner a chain smoker---My God how I loathed the stench---and in my own way pitied him and secretly bet he wished he could do what I had done just stopped, he smoked a cigarette every 20 minutes --no kidding, he's Chinese!

Any way I had made sure the room I booked for the meeting was very big so that the air was sucked out.

Then I had a 35 min run in the gym a work out,the solarium for 20 mins and just devoured :

3 chicken pieces, 1 cup of lettuce, 3 slices of tomato 1 tbsp mayo and a small handful of sunflower seeds mixed with organic bran --yuck like horse food...will need to work out the nutritional combo of that lot...

My desire is to just stick with this new way of Dr Atkins living I cannot attribute it to anything else Jo, I quit alcohol Aug 2000, and did the whole 12 step programme , and thta was nothing compared to quitting the fags...
I craved last night at 7pm and so I went to the gym instead....My running seemed easier --honest and the weights a sinch to push,my skin is looser too...odd huh?
Jo thanks so much for your help..
I have chosen not to smoke for..
4 Days - 10 hrs and 41 minutes
Not smoked 90+ cigs
Saved 157HK dollars or 20 US Dollars or 15 British pounds and 70 P
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 09:22

This is my 4th day 11 hrs and 29 mins. I had to get out of the office as I was really dying for a smoke today...was in a foul mood with a couple of my senior people, I think its the withdrawl, I feel better now that Ive eaten something. I told my mum who called from the UK she's so happy I quit...I never gave it this much effort before..
How you doing Jo?
Richard
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-25-02, 20:09
Registered Member

BF:

I'm doing fine! I'm on Day 7 (well, it's 3 am on Sunday - not sure why I'm awake, but I am!), so I'm almost a whole week smoke-free! I'm still staggered by it all - never thought I'd be able to quit!

Did 8 miles on the exercise bike yesterday - it's still raining here - and it seems to have been raining for weeks now.... I really want to get out on the 'real' bike, but I don't fancy getting soaked...

I'm thinking about smoking less often now - still eating sunflower seeds, but not as desperately as I was!

It does seem to get easier with time, though. I think it's a matter of not having new triggers popping up all the time - I've been through most of what I normally do without a ciggie, now - but if I do something I haven't done since I quit, then I get triggered to think about it again. Like yesterday, I had a glass of red wine, and immediately thought about smoking.

Did that make any sense? I'm half asleep here - in fact, I think I'm going back to bed now...

Hope you're feeling good, too, Richard - I'm really impressed with both of us! LOL!

Jo