Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 376/279/200 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:getting better lol
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up Gettin Started

Hi all my Mother and I are stating our weight loss journey today.... I just hope this works. Exactly what are some of the things you can and cannot eat during induction...and for how long should one be on induction. Also was wondering if Diet Pepsi is ok to drink I read somewhere on here that you weren't allowed to have aspartame?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Jessie and Brenda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:29
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jessie and Brenda, welcome!

One thing we really emphasize here is "read the book!" Low carbing is too difficult to attempt by just winging it. I can promise you that the few dollars you'll spend on Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution will be repaid a thousandfold.

The book spells out exactly what you can eat on Induction. You then just don't eat anything that isn't on the lists.

You can also find info at www.atkins.com but you'll find the book to be an invaluable help.

Happy low carbing!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:41
Registered Member

Thanks for the timely response.......I guess we'll just have to get our butts to the store to get the book...we actually just heard about Atkins from my Aunt...whos manager is on the diet and has lost 60 pounds in 1 1/2 months.....also a family friend has done the all meat diet and has lost a bunch of weight....any rate currently (until we get the book) we are doing the "no carb" thing.........so thanks again Rosebud.

P.S. You may find this funny we have 2 pigs one of which we named Rosebud not to be taken as an insult.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 18:51
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
P.S. You may find this funny we have 2 pigs one of which we named Rosebud not to be taken as an insult.

Thanks for the laugh! I'm sure she's a delicate, ladylike pig like me...

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:16
Registered Member

Stats: 175/173/135
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Jess
I'm Jessie's Aunt and Brenda's sister. We're all in this together.

I was wondering the same thing about diet soda. I know we should get the book and read it first (which we will) but in the meantime, can anyone answer the question? Is diet soda ok to drink?

Thanx in advance.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:27
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Is diet soda ok to drink?

Yes, as a rule. Try to stick to the Splenda-sweetened ones if you can, although plenty of folk here are doing fine while still drinking Diet Coke & Pepsi. The main reason Dr Atkins advised against aspartame, is that there are still questions over its safety.
Personally, I think as long as you drink plenty of water, and just have soft drinks occasionally, there should be no problem.

HTH

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thanx Rosebud. That helps alot. I'm not a big soda drinker myself, but have been turned on to diet Dr. Pepper, just for some flavor in my mouth other than water.

Oh, and I noticed you changed your roses to pigs. :lol It's so nice to find people with a good sense of humor! I laughed my butt off when I read the post above here.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 21:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/???/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

The caffeine is bad. It creates a reaction similar to that of eating sugar. So I don't drink anything with caffeine. However, I've found that diet Sprite tastes EXACTLY like regular Sprite and has 0 carbs. After my sugar cravings were over, I wanted something carbonated. Caffeine Free Diet Coke is disgusting, so I went for the sprite.

Congrats on starting the new WOE! I get really excited when I see new people because I know I'm not alone in the being relatively new.

I started 8 days ago, but I've done SO much research based on people's threads on here and I went to howstuffworks.com to get a general idea of how the body processes food and how exercise works and so on. So I feel that I really understand a lot of this.

If you get confused and haven't gotten the book yet, the Atkins website, http://atkins.com, is full of a ton of information and though I read the book first, I felt the site summarized it nicely.

Congrats again!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Hey Aunt Kathy "saphire" ............thanks all for the diet soda clearup.....went out and baught the book this morning good reading! Clears up alot of our questions.....we're very excited. Also we have decided to keep off the soda as much as we can......love the pigs Rosebud.....thanks Jessie and Brenda

P.S. Baught the book at BJ's wholesale club $4.99
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:15
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jessie!
I need a BJ's card! lol There's always a good deal there! I'm glad you got the book. And, I'm glad you and your Mom are doing this with me. It helps ALOT to have someone for motivation! I've lost 2 lbs and feel real good about that. It's not alot, but it's something! Good luck Jess, I know you can do this!

Thanx for the info Missa! It's much appreciated.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 13:14
Registered Member

congrats Aunt Kathy!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

Thanx! Have you and your Mom weighed in yet? It's been a few days so you might see some weight loss.

Last edited by Saphire : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 14:31.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:42

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

You may want to try Diet Rite sodas
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 17:07
Registered Member

Thanks RickinTN just baught some Waist Watcher Soda no Sodium,no sugar,no calories, no aspartame, no carbs...and it tastes pretty good too.

Aunt Kathy actually we weighed ourselves for the first time today.....kind of dissapointed to see I gained 12 pounds since I was in the hospital so I have to update my weight.......Mom was a little higher than she thought too but oh well just have to work at it a little harder......longer. So far so good.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 18:32
Registered Member

BF:

Well, don't give up. Everyone says it's a slow process so we'll wait it out. It will be well worth it!

I'd much rather lose weight slowly anyway. That way you shouldn't gain back so fast like many do. It's healthier to lose slow anyway. Hang in there. I know you can do it!