Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/198.0/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default It's Offical

Hi Everyone,

I found this forum last night, and I am so excited to be here. I am a single mom of a teenage boy,14 yrs, and rebelling. I am 47 yrs, African American female. Ivy league undergrad and masters degree. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time. I think my weight issues are directly related to ongoing depression. I was betrayed by my son's Dad after 16 years. He basically abandoned me and my son while I was in grad school (12.5 yrs ago). He got another lady pregnant and married her shot gun style though we had planned to marry. I didn't know until a close friend told me. Since my son's birth in 1997, I've been between 10 to 20 lbs overweight- that is- until 2008. In 2008, I was laid off and traumatized. In January 2009, I ended a serious relationship that drained me emotionally and financially. By the end of 2009, I found another job, but was laid off again by the end of 2010 and traumatized. In January 2010, my brother died unexpectedly.I'm still grieving. By mid 2010, I found a part-time job that pays less than my unemployment benefits. I am so overwhelmed and busy that I've lost sight of myself, my friends, my dreams. I've eaten myself into a 50 lb hole and I am having a hard time getting it together. I need help and support. I'm starting Atkins today because I'm desperate and tired of being tired.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 19:01

Plan: Low net carb
Stats: 274/265/160 Female 69
BF:TOO MUCH FOR NOW
Progress: 8%

Wow, you have been through a lot. I too had a "lovely" ex. As time passes you will learn that your ex did you a huge favor. Do you really want to be with someone who can treat you like this without guilt? Of course not ! No one deserves this. I too was a single mom for many years. Someone once told me, it is ok to be alone. You need to work on yourself first. You need to love yourself first before someone can truly love you. In simple terms, you need to fill your own up. Fill it so full that it runs over and then and only then is there a need for someone to soak up the excess. So, fill your cup. Find yourself. Love yourself and life will all fall in to place. Your son will see a stronger person. Your ex will have reqret and you will have happiness and satisfaction !
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 19:13

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You sound like a tenacious, capable woman and I KNOW you can do this! (((hugs)))

My 14 yr. old son started LCing when I did last June and he's lost 36 lbs! He's at goal now. I still have more to lose. But we LOVE the food and we LOVE not being hungry all the time!!! Don't skimp on your fat -- that's a mistake a lot of people do. Don't overeat processed foods, that'll mess you up too. Go for pure foods that aren't frankenfoods.

Do you have eggs for breakfast tomorrow? How about real butter? Some good bacon? Cheese sticks? (Try to find some that aren't all skim milk, but they're hard to find.) Bagged salad greens? Are you going to make your own salad dressing or have you found one that doesn't contain sugar? (Hard to find.) I make my own.

Deviled eggs are great!!!!!!! Try to stay away from LC bars and shakes. Some people can use them, but they stall a lot of people. I don't use them. YMMV.

Don't leave the house without a snack in your bag, so you don't get caught in a bind.

I know you can do it!!!! This forum is great for information, motivation and support!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 19:19

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevvybevvy
Hi Everyone,

I found this forum last night, and I am so excited to be here. I am a single mom of a teenage boy,14 yrs, and rebelling. I am 47 yrs, African American female. Ivy league undergrad and masters degree. I have been struggling with my weight for a long time. I think my weight issues are directly related to ongoing depression. I was betrayed by my son's Dad after 16 years. He basically abandoned me and my son while I was in grad school (12.5 yrs ago). He got another lady pregnant and married her shot gun style though we had planned to marry. I didn't know until a close friend told me. Since my son's birth in 1997, I've been between 10 to 20 lbs overweight- that is- until 2008. In 2008, I was laid off and traumatized. In January 2009, I ended a serious relationship that drained me emotionally and financially. By the end of 2009, I found another job, but was laid off again by the end of 2010 and traumatized. In January 2010, my brother died unexpectedly.I'm still grieving. By mid 2010, I found a part-time job that pays less than my unemployment benefits. I am so overwhelmed and busy that I've lost sight of myself, my friends, my dreams. I've eaten myself into a 50 lb hole and I am having a hard time getting it together. I need help and support. I'm starting Atkins today because I'm desperate and tired of being tired.

Some people may think that taking on a weight loss plan when life is throwing you constant curveballs is just asking for failure. However, after years of trying, my successful weight loss journey started when I was in the middle of some really traumatic family and work and self-image issues, a serious low point in my life. And for a time, it turned out to be the only thing I had any control over.

A couple of years later, not only have I lost most of my weight, I feel better *and less depressed* than I ever have in my whole life. Feeding depression with carbs and sugar really perpetuates the cycle, so this is the best possible thing you can do for yourself right now.

There are lots of threads around here about eating lowcarb on limited budgets, by the way.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-11, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/285 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi HevvyBevvy - I am just starting too and I've been through some rough patches as well that are in some ways similar to your own. Maybe we can walk this journey together. I am bound and determined to make this work - one step at a time, one day at a time, no turning back.

~ FatManMelt
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 10:25

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/247/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%

welcome to the board
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 09:18
Registered Member

Stats: 260/253/175 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Welcome. your going in the right direction coming here. They are a bunch of wonderful supportive people. I am just starting again and I will make it this time. Don't forget we all are here for you at any time. God Bless
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 07:59

BF:
Default Good morning wonderful low carb people!

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the wonderful messages of support. I really appreciate the advice, the compassion and the sharing. Today is my 4th day in and I must say, I feel pretty good. Already, my energy is rising and my appetite is declining. I have not eaten anything this morning but intend to do so because I do not want to set myself up for failure by slowing my metabolism down and/or not eating until I am so hungry that I lunge for the nearest refined carb. I am on my way to my part time gig today so I haven't much time to write, but I did want to chime in to say hello and thank you. Also, "FatManMelt", I would be happy to partner with you on this journey. Let's continue to exchange and figure out the next steps ... Take care all. Have a beautiful, low-carb, higher self day.
HB

Last edited by hevvybevvy : Thu, Feb-10-11 at 08:03. Reason: mispellings
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 10:31
Registered Member

Stats: 321/269/150 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hevvybevvy, Keep it up! You are soo worth the effort. I know it's been a rough road, but you are going to feel even better as you take good care of you. I'm only on week 4 myself and I too have found this website, and the people on it are so encouraging. For me, starting a journal has also really helped.

It sounds like you are one tough lady. Most likely your time spent seeking your degrees required dedication, sacrifice and real digging in, so I know you can do this! Again, you are worth it. Keep us posted.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 12:46

BF:

Hello Everyone,

I am checking in. It's Sunday, my 8th day in and I weighed myself this morning. I've lost 4.2 Lbs. this past week, my first week, and I am excited! For those who are familiar with this board, can you tell me how to import my ticker from tickerfactory.com? Also, are there any forums that you would recommend for me. I need support and motivation to stick with the diet over the long haul and to get back into a regular exercise routine. I have 50.2 lbs. to go!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 12:54

Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Just wanted to welcome you Lots of luck in your weightloss!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-11, 13:07
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 242/227/140 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi hevvybevvy, I joined less than a week ago, and started my diet just a day or two before that...this method works, you will see results and feel better pronto! Glad to see another person who is just starting out...good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 09:44

BF:

Good morning and thank you for the encouragement and well wishes. I am motivated today. My goal for this week is to lose 3 to 4 lbs. I am hoping that the addition of a regular cardio and resistance program will help my stress, improve my mood, and burn a few calories. As long as I stick with the regimen, I will be okay. If I slip up (although I do not expect to do -so soon into the program), I will get back on track.
Thanks again. Happy Valentine's day.
Hevvybevvy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 242/227/140 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'm with you; no weight loss this am so I am going to walk sometime today.