Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-14, 16:03

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
In addition to Jimmy's list, also PrimalDocs, Paleo Physicians Network, Inst. of Functional Medicine and if that all fails, see if there is a DO (Osteopath) in your area. A regular doctor, but some (not all) take a more natural approach to health. Failing all that…I just call and speak to the office manager or nurse.."tell me about the doctor, what are his views on nutrition, etc"

Thank you so much for the other places to find a doctor, I will look into it. My "new" doctor is a DO, one reason I chose him. Guess he and I don't see nutrition eye to eye.

On my first visit, he mentioned taking a multivitamin because he eats a high junk food diet. That was a red flag right there. Then his comment that I wouldn't get diabetes because I am thin. I had already told him my grandmothers had diabetes and my mom has it now. SMH!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 04:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

What a role model! Note on Everything Else forum, Cholesterol Clarity is only 99 cents today! Such a deal, even though I have the print book, bought the ebook. It will help you sort through what lipid numbers are important or not. Easy to understand.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 05:34
Inconceivable!

Plan: DANDR '72
Stats: 205/169/155 Male 69.5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
What a role model! Note on Everything Else forum, Cholesterol Clarity is only 99 cents today! Such a deal, even though I have the print book, bought the ebook. It will help you sort through what lipid numbers are important or not. Easy to understand.

Thanks for that! Just bought it.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 10:44

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wow. Sounds like there is quite a disconnect with you and newer thinking and research.

Mine's not a paleo doc or known for anything like that, but he was pretty cool about my stance on the cholesterol thing (I brought it up when he mentioned the usual test). So they're out there. Maybe look out for a younger doc.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 11:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Even worse than cholesterol is blood pressure. If you're even a little high, they're ready to push the BP meds at you. The drugs are just as bad too... or at least almost as bad.

Most MD's offices they don't even take the BP correctly.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-14, 17:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Even worse than cholesterol is blood pressure. If you're even a little high, they're ready to push the BP meds at you. The drugs are just as bad too... or at least almost as bad.

Most MD's offices they don't even take the BP correctly.
Hmm, curious about what the "correct" way is. I know they don't always use a bigger cuff on me, which I really need.

But I often think about BP numbers - even LC-oriented doctors who think totally out of the box regarding diet, cholesterol, etc all still seem to adhere to the CW about blood pressure. Yet I've read conflicting ideas as well. I think it was Barry Groves(?) perhaps who said the *old* conventional wisdom for BP was "100+your age" for the upper number, and he didn't think people had any more strokes or heart attacks (and maybe fewer) than they do now with the newer guidelines, and he likened the constant lowering of BP guidelines as being as off-the-mark as cholesterol numbers.

I've always suffered from "white coat hypertension" so always get really high readings in medical offices, so doctors always want me on BP meds! And I have my doubts about most of them also - and the ones I've tried have always given me bad side effects.

But even using most of the LC bag of tricks I can't get my BP to the "below 120/80" conventional wisdom numbers. Just took my BP as I was looking at this post and got a reading of 146/76 - which is about what I run without any meds, but I refuse to get too worried. I have enough other things to worry about