Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Weight loss is simple: Eat less and be more active

http://www.adn.com/life/story/9215317p-9131460c.html

Weight loss is simple: Eat less and be more active
OBESITY: Anchorage doctor says the key is to have a plan and stick to it.

By ROSEMARY SHINOHARA
Published: August 12, 2007
3:37 PM 8/12/2007

It's simple, but nobody wants to hear it.

To lose weight, you need to use up more calories than you eat.

In most cases, that means eating less, says Dr. Jeffrey Lawrence, director of the Providence Alaska Medical Center weight loss clinic.

"There really is no other way," he said.

And exercise is key to maintaining weight loss, Lawrence says.

Nobody wants to hear that, either, but Americans better face up to it.

As a country, we're getting fatter and fatter, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports. Only 15 percent of adults aged 20 to 74 were considered obese in a survey from 1976 to 1980. By 2003-04, the number had more than doubled to nearly 33 percent, the CDC reports.

Alaska is right up there, with more than a quarter of the adults weighing in as obese.

Lawrence was an ob-gyn in private practice here for 20 years, then shifted to weight management. He is board-certified in the field.

And he lost 50 pounds himself 10 years ago. "I let myself drift up," he said. But it felt wrong to be sitting across from people admonishing them about being overweight when he was too.

His trick? There was none. "I cut my portion size and did exercise."

OK, it can't be that easy, or everyone would do it.

Here's what else Lawrence had to say in written responses to Daily News questions. The questions and answers were edited for length and clarity.

Q. Why is it so hard to lose weight?

A. It really isn't hard to lose weight IF you really want to. The problem is commitment. You must be willing to change. Americans are addicted to food. They associate the pleasure and enjoyment of food with quantity, not quality. Even our best Anchorage restaurants have started serving larger-than-normal portions to satisfy this change.

True long-term weight loss is the result of learning new eating habits and sticking with them until those new habits become the norm. Time and knowledge are the keys to sustained weight loss.

Q. What makes success more likely?

A. Use a nutritionally sound program. Learn about what you eat. Read and understand labels. Reduce portions, listen to your body's signals and increase activity. Notice I did not say exercise. Exercise is something formal. An increase in activity is increasing the usual daily activities: walking, using stairs, reducing sedentary activities.

Q. How can people break out of the lose-a-little, gain-it-back, lose-it-again cycle?

A. Simple things like cutting portion size in half, reducing high-calorie, nutritionally poor junk and convenience foods. Start keeping a record of what you eat and the activity you do. This results in accountability. It forces you to see what you are doing. You see that the ... burger at Carl's Jr. is 1,000 calories and mostly fat.

Have a plan and stick to it. Get help, support. Obesity is a chronic disease. It has remissions and relapses. Accept it as such.

Q. How much of whether you're fat or thin depends on genes?

A. Genes are about 40 percent and the environment is about 60 percent. George Bray (obesity expert at Louisiana State University) has said, "Your genes load the gun but the environment pulls the trigger."

Q. A recent Stanford University study of four diet approaches says Atkins (a low-carbohydrate plan) is the best. Your views?

A. I have not seen the Stanford study. ... Atkins is a very good program if you are fully committed to it. You cannot do it halfway. If you continue eating your carbohydrates the program will not work. If you continue eating 3,000 calories a day, you will not lose weight.

Remember the Native Alaskan diet was an 80 percent-fat diet. There were very few carbohydrates available. They were very healthy. It was only when the "white man" introduced high-carbohydrate junk foods to their diet that diabetes and obesity became a problem.

To answer the question, any (program) that is well balanced and a person will stay with as a lifetime change will work.

Q. There's a new pill, Alli, the first government-approved, over-the-counter weight-loss drug. What's your opinion of it?

A. Alli, formally Xenacal, will be over the counter soon. It will teach the folks who use it a new definition of "oil slick." It prevents the absorption of 33 percent or more of dietary fat. ... If you do not absorb the fat, where do you think it goes? (Note: Diarrhea and oily stools are reported side effects.) It is aversion therapy. The problem may be fat-soluble vitamin deficiency. It has never been shown to cause a great deal of weight loss.

Q. I've read that a small amount of weight loss can have a powerful effect on health. How small? What does it do that's so wonderful?

A. Yes! Yes! Yes! A 10 percent weight loss can mean up to a 50 percent decrease in risk of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc. It can make a person a better surgical risk. A reduction in sleep apnea.

Q. If you just cut calories, what happens? At what point is there a danger that your body will adapt to the new calorie amount and you won't lose? How does this work?

A. Basically the body has a very strong anti-starvation system. Our ancestors, hunter-gatherers, had a starvation problem, not obesity. Our genes are set to prevent starvation. If you drop your daily intake too far, the body ... reduces energy expenditure to conserve energy. This is why missing breakfast is such a bad idea. By mid-morning there is little energy for the body.

Where that calorie level is for any person, I cannot say. It is probably less than 800 calories per day.

The second part of the answer is: We each have a weight set-point. It is your usual weight. Your body will try to maintain that weight. That is why we have a tendency to jump right back up after weight loss.

Q. How do you feel about gastric-bypass operations?

A. For some folks bypass surgery is a lifesaver. For others it is just another failed quick fix. Obesity is a food addiction problem. Unless that gets under control, the surgery, like everything else, will fail. Just because you have a small stomach and/or your intestine has been rerouted does not mean you cannot eat 3,000 calories a day.

Q. Do you have any thoughts about the typical programs that people turn to for help, such as Weight Watchers, TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) and Overeaters Anonymous?

A. Weight Watchers and TOPS have long records of success for some people. They are a support system. My feeling is they are best for small weight loss and, most important, for maintenance.

Overeaters Anonymous, if you are a FULL participant and do the 12-step program, can change your life in many ways, not just weight loss.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: Wingin' it.
Stats: 257/240.0/130 Female 65 inches
BF:yes!
Progress: 13%

I believe that. I think you can lose weight by low-carbing and it will be a tastier diet, compared to low-fat dieting, for example. But you will lose faster and be healthier and feel better if you exercise.
Actually, losing weight first, even if you balk at exercise, puts you in better shape to get out there and exercise. When you are fat, you have to get over the shyness of bouncing around among the lithe young things who are normally active in gyms.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 15:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
If you continue eating 3,000 calories a day, you will not lose weight.

i bet you i could eat a 3000 calorie 10g carb diet and still loose weight. Thermodynamics and biochemistry are not synonymous.

Quote:
Basically the body has a very strong anti-starvation system. Our ancestors, hunter-gatherers, had a starvation problem, not obesity. Our genes are set to prevent starvation. If you drop your daily intake too far, the body ... reduces energy expenditure to conserve energy.

why do people keep saying this? how is a starving hunter-gatherer suppose to draw on the energy he needs to hunt a bison if his 'clever' body is reducing energy expenditure to conserve energy?

in periods of chronic starvation i guess your body may reduce its energy expenditure, but i seriously doubt anything under 72hours of fasting will knock back metabolism so seriously.

Quote:
This is why missing breakfast is such a bad idea. By mid-morning there is little energy for the body.

yup, missing breakfast halts everything, your in danger of getting heart disease!, your brain slows down!, you lose muscle mass!, WHATEVER YOU DO DONT MISS BREAKFAST OR YOU MAY NOT LIVE UNTIL LUNCH.

moron.

Quote:
It is your usual weight. Your body will try to maintain that weight. That is why we have a tendency to jump right back up after weight loss.

where is the theory behind this? this notion is based PURELY on anecdotal evidence. lets have some raw theoretical biochemistry to back it up and then maybe, JUST MAYBE, i will concur.

the only thing i can think of that would even come close to explaining this is how estrogen pronounced a person is. and even that can be changed.

Quote:
any (program) that is well balanced and a person will stay with as a lifetime change will work.

finally he gurgles some sense.

Last edited by kindke : Sun, Aug-12-07 at 15:12.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 18:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
You see that the ... burger at Carl's Jr. is 1,000 calories and mostly fat. If you continue eating 3,000 calories a day, you will not lose weight.
Remember the Native Alaskan diet was an 80 percent-fat diet. There were very few carbohydrates available. They were very healthy.
I see a lot of contradictions in that article.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 18:42

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
To lose weight, you need to use up more calories than you eat.

I cry BS! Just using more calories than you eat ALONE does not work. LC anecdotes prove this - most people could eat half the calories they use and gain weight if they eat HC. I was one of those. Grrrrrrrr - all this type of media does is create a sense of failure among people. Pisses me off to read it.

Quote:
Q. I've read that a small amount of weight loss can have a powerful effect on health. How small? What does it do that's so wonderful?

A. Yes! Yes! Yes! A 10 percent weight loss can mean up to a 50 percent decrease in risk of diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc. It can make a person a better surgical risk. A reduction in sleep apnea.

Has anyone actually THOUGHT this statement through? Maybe I'm missing something but ...

Assuming at 400 lbs, diabetes is 100% guaranteed:

400 --> 100%
400 - 40 = 360 ( 50%)
360 - 36 = 324 (25%)
324 - 32.4 = 291.6 (12.5%)
291.6 - 29.2 = 262.4 (6.25%)
262.4 - 26.2 = 236.2 (3.125%)
236.2 - 23.6 = 212.6 (1.5625%)
212.6 - 21.3 = 191.3 (.78125%)
191.3 - 19.1 = 172.2 (.390625%)
172.2 - 17.2 = 155 (.1953125%)
155 - 15.5 = 139.5 (.09765625%) (BMI = 25 - overweight; if over 5'3" then BMI is under 25 and is 'normal')
According to the height-weight table: to be 139 and at the 'ideal weight' a person with a : small frame - needs to be 5'8"; med frame need to be 5'5"; large frame need to be 5'1".

Assuming at 200 pounds, diabetes is guaranteed:

200 = 100%
180 = 50%
162 = 25%
145 = 12.5%
130 - 6.25%
117 = 3.125%
105 = 1.563%
94 = .781%
84 = .391%
75 = .195%

Even assuming at 200 lbs I'm only 50% likely to get diabetes, then at 162 (still 'obese') I'm only 12.5% likely to get it. And at 145 (still overweight-obese) I'm only 6.25% likely. Maybe it's just me - but 12.5% and 6.25% seem like a reasonable risk to me. And if 400 lbs is the magic number for 100% guarantee of diabetes then at 237 I have only a 1.5% chance of getting it - very reasonable risk level.

Basically what I'm saying is the numbers don't tell the whole story. WHAT we eat has a huge impact. I know ... diabetes is not the only thing blamed on obesity. I guess it just really irks me when I see that kind of 'science' quoted in the media. It's a freaking scare tactic ... that is all it is.

Just my two cents ...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindke
Quote:
It is your usual weight. Your body will try to maintain that weight. That is why we have a tendency to jump right back up after weight loss.

where is the theory behind this? this notion is based PURELY on anecdotal evidence. lets have some raw theoretical biochemistry to back it up and then maybe, JUST MAYBE, i will concur.

This is not biochemistry. Whenever we can understand how the brain works and all the neurological functions involved we can understand more about this subject.

However, for now it makes good sense to assume that every person have a set amount in his/her memory for the energy reserve needed to keep the person alive when food becomes scarce.

For some reason, an error can occure causing that set amount to go up causing obesity.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 07:50

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

If all I needed to do was eat less and exercise more, I would have been as skinny as a rail 3 years ago when I switched to whole grain foods, started eating less than ever and worked out an hour a day 6 days a week. What actually happened is I didn't lose a single pound over 2 1/2 years. I was stuck at 240lbs the whole time.

Now I exercise only a couple of days a week, I eat full fat cream, yogurt, cheese, lots of chicken and veggies and also consume coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil like crazy. I am betting my calorie intake is almost twice what is was during the workout madness. Now I weigh 224 and am losing an average of 2lbs a week.

Why are so many doctors idiots?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 08:00

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Why are so many doctors idiots?

Because they are afraid of breaking the mold and subsequently being sued for malpractice ...

(oops - was that a rhetorical question? )