Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/198/140
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi fellow exercise haters! I've got something really fun I just started, to ease myself into an exercise program. I borrowed my dad's mini-trampoline because I read in Fran McCullough's book Low Carb Living that it's a wonderful exercise for larger ladies like myself. It's very low impact but very aerobic and also muscle building because of the the effects of gravity on the body as it bounces. Also, as a beneficial side effect, it also gives you cells themselves a workout because it jogs your lymphatic system and helps detox your cells. Anyway ,I've only started yesterday so I don't have any results other than being out of breath. I am starting slowly at about 5 min /day because believe me you really feel it. It is also great fun with some fast music on my walkman.

If someone else decides to try, keep me up to date with how it goes

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 15:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up rebounding

hi Deb,

Funny you should mention this. I've been using my rebounder for the last couple of weeks, after letting it gather dust for over a year in the closet. I love it, and you're right, it does give a thorough workout without jarring the joints. I have fibromyalgia, and other excuses for not doing regular weight-and-strength type exercise. And the weather has been too dreadful for my long outdoor hikes, which I love.

Actually, I'm enjoying it to the point that I think I'm going to give this cheap "toy" tramp that I bought at Walmart for $30 or whatever to my girlfriend's kids, and invest in a better quality model. Something with superior tension, and that folds up would be nice. In fact, I've just been the last half hour looking for Ontario retailers. No luck...... guess I'll hit the phone later for local sporting goods stores. I'll try the used equipment shops first.

If you're looking for some good info. on the health benefits of rebounding, and a suggested exercise routine and workout guide, check this http://www.positivehealth.com/permi...ork/trampol.htm

enjoy!
Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 15:13

BF:

hi Doreen, I would love to hear whatever info you can come up with about retailers of good rebounders. i'm goin to have to give mine back to my Dad at some point so I'll want to invest in a good one for myself. Thanks for the link too, I'll have a look right away.

Good to hear from someone in the same boat as me! Thanks

Deb
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-01, 11:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy Hmmm...

Well, Deb, I could find no local stores selling quality rebounders. Canadian Tire, Walmart and Toys'R'Us sell the inexpensive mini-trampolines with the shorter legs that have to be removed for storage, thin or non-existent padding around the frame and springs, a too-hard mat, and short, stiff springs. That's what I'm using right now, and it's adequate - I admit I do get some benefit from using it. Storage is a big problem for me, also the hardness and low-springiness of the mat does cause some knee problems.

There aretwo brands from the US - Needak and Rebound-Air. These run around $199 US, and then there's shipping, brokerage fees and GST at Canada Customs. I saw the Needak offered at E-Bay for $189 US, includes a workout video. It's shipped from California though, and I'd be worried about problems with warranty and return, if the need arose.

However, I did discover a Canadian on-line resource. Are you sitting down?? Hallelujah Acres... ... This too originates from California, but there are two affiliates for their products in Ontario, one in Toronto, the other in the 519 area code region. This company mostly focuses on "health food", barley green and juicers, and a lot of religious and spiritual materials. However, they promote rebounding for its lymph-cleansing abilities, and feature the Needak rebounder, as well as a selection of books and videos on rebound exercise. The prices are in Cnd $, and both sites are identical. The price for the rebounder is $375 Cdn, and there would be shipping and GST (+ PST in ONT). It would ultimately work out to a bit more $ than ordering from the US, but better chances for getting help if there's a problem.

The Healing Core is located in Toronto. You'll find the phone and fax #, as well as an email address at their website. You might be able to arrange to pick up the item(s) yourself, and save the shipping fee.

Hallelujah Acres Canada does not give a postal or street address, just a 519-phone and fax number and email addy.

(I've made the links directly to the rebounder pages)

Hope this is helpful,

Doreen

#5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-01, 07:37

BF:

thanks Doreen, I'll check those links out.

Deb