Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 14:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Total Gym?

There may be a thread for it already, but I couldn't find one.

Who has one? Do you like it? Do you USE it? Has it been beneficial to you?

My gym membership is up for renewal next month. I like my gym, but the membership isv 540.00 a year that I could save. Have been weighing the cost of renewal against purchasing a TG.

My gym does have a pool and offers several classes that I would be giving up.

I am also considering Snap Fitness which is literally about a mile and a half from me and would save me a 20 mile round trip every time I go to work out.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-01-11, 10:15

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Tough question.... would you keep using it at home?

I own a treadmill and a Gold's weight lifting machine. But I go to the gym every night M-F because of the traffic. I know what you mean - the cost of the membership bothers me because I prefer to have something to show for 600 dollars. You can buy some nice equipment for the price of a gym membership.

But I have not successfully kept up the exercise when I used the equipment at home. If you can do that, then buying your own work out equipment really saves you money. If you use the pool and classes a lot, then you are getting your money’s worth out of your gym membership.

If you want to buy equipment, you can find a used Bow Flex or Gold's Gym for cheap and have a machine that grows with your use/need. My sister bought a Total Gym. It takes up less real estate, but she stopped using it. It is hard when your own weight is the resistance.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Been thinking about this a lot since I posted it a couple of days ago.

I have to be honest with myself. I probably would not use the TG enough to make it worthwhile. Even if I buy a used one cheap, it will probably just turn into a clothes rack.

I LIKE going to the gym. I just wish mine was closer. I know I would go more often if I didn't have to drive clear across town to get there.

Right now I am leaning toward just switching to Snap Fitness. It is really about 3 minutes from here. I measured the distance from home to my present gym and it's almost 25 miles for one round trip.

The savings on gas alone would be substantial, plus the monthly fee is a bit cheaper.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 17:50

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%
Default The gym saves me money

I've justified some of the cost of my gym by taking a shower there every evening, Monday through Friday. It saves me hot water and towels at home 5 days a week. And I shower instead of sitting in traffic, so I actually add time to my day.

Going to the gym was cheaper for me than not going. I was hanging around in the city, waiting for the traffic to die down, so I was shopping... And I can drop some money in a very short time... so I actually save money by working out. It only costs me 55 per month, hot water and towels included, and I can't shop while I'm on the machines.