Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 12:17

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Back again - and not doing as well this time

I last lost weight 8 years ago and it just melted off. This time the little sticks say I'm in ketosis, but I have actually GAINED a POUND! I'm getting a little freaked out here. I'm going to re-read the book and see if I can fine tune this puppy. Suggestions? I've been eating chicken, eggs, cheese, lettuce, cauliflower, mayo and mustard & apple cider vinegar for dressing, pork rinds, one or two coffee with cream and splenda. Maybe even that is still too much carb for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-28-11, 22:26
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling
I last lost weight 8 years ago and it just melted off. This time the little sticks say I'm in ketosis, but I have actually GAINED a POUND! I'm getting a little freaked out here. I'm going to re-read the book and see if I can fine tune this puppy. Suggestions? I've been eating chicken, eggs, cheese, lettuce, cauliflower, mayo and mustard & apple cider vinegar for dressing, pork rinds, one or two coffee with cream and splenda. Maybe even that is still too much carb for me.

Maybe because your metabolism is 8 years older?

Albeit you don't have any health or hormonal issues....

If you are eating to plan, not eating any hidden carbs, eating until satisfied and not stuffed, drinking your water, not over indulging in SF drinks or foods then just give it time.

I know everyone wants it NOW, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Patience grasshopper

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 15:13

BF:

Patience grasshopper Progress not perfection.

Lisa[/QUOTE]

Haha - thanks Lisa! Yes, I want it gone NOW! Of course I do. HOwever, I am trying to re-think this as just a better way of eating - period. Even if I never drop a pound, not eating sugar and grains all day long is obviously a good thing - and lots of veggies and organic meat. Duh. So much healthier.

I will stick with it. But this forum and people like yourself help so much. I do think being older has a big effect. So it may take longer to get the engine started. The little sticks say I am in ketosis. Not sure how accurate that is, or if it even matters. I just happened to still have them in the cupboard.

#4   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/190/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I have decided that even if I only lose 1 pound a month for the next 7 years, that is much better than the 1 lb a month that I have been gaining for the last 7 years.

Just remember the story of the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race.

I have to do this for my health!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:23

BF:

mabdab01 - You are very wise. It is true.

Even if I hold steady, it is still better than constantly gaining. I already feel better.
How are you doing? What a great birthday gift you are giving yourself. If you want to lose 40 by August - that IS pretty fast, isnt it?

I'm 58, so I expect it may go slower than for younger folks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:31

BF:

Idahling:

My goal is probably a little unrealistic, but even if I come up a bit short I still win.

I did really well the first two weeks, I lost 9 lbs, but have not lost anything in almost 2 weeks. I am trying not to get discouraged. I did Atkins once before in about 2001 and was very successful at it, but even so it still took me over a year to lose 75 lbs. The last 20 lbs in 2002 were very stubborn, I had to cut out almost all carbs, eating only meat, cheese, and eggs. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will happen eventually, if I don't give up.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabdab01
Idahling:

My goal is probably a little unrealistic, but even if I come up a bit short I still win.

I did really well the first two weeks, I lost 9 lbs, but have not lost anything in almost 2 weeks. I am trying not to get discouraged. I did Atkins once before in about 2001 and was very successful at it, but even so it still took me over a year to lose 75 lbs. The last 20 lbs in 2002 were very stubborn, I had to cut out almost all carbs, eating only meat, cheese, and eggs. I just have to keep reminding myself that it will happen eventually, if I don't give up.

Yes I've heard that last 20 are always the worst. But you did lost them eventually? That's amazing.
I want to lose something by July for my daughter's wedding. My goal is to NOT be the fattest person there, maybe the second fattest would be nice. LOL. I just wish it would get started. It's been 2 weeks and nothing yet. I think my age MIGHT have something to do with it. I do everything a bit slower nowadays - well except talk. :lol
:
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:48

BF:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Goal setting: I'm just thinking about your goal of 40 by 40. That's nice.
I may revamp my goal to 60 by 60. I like the sound of it.
[/FONT]

#9   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 16:57

BF:

I understand the wedding thing, I got married in June of 2002 and that was my inspiration. The day that I put on my size 8 wedding dress at 120 lbs was absolutely AMAZING!!! I felt so great and confident.

It is so hard to believe that I have put back on all of that weight and then some. I just have to force myself to remember that white sugar and white flour will never be a part of my diet again. EVER!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 17:07

BF:

Yes....the devil made white sugar, for sure...
I'm trying to convince myself that I am allergic to grains and sugar. I'm mean, they fatten up cows by feeding them corn and grains, right? And I'm sick of feeling like a fat cow.
For me the key is getting myself to feel "normal". I like being a normal size and eating normal. No one will ever think that eating this way is abnormal. They won't even notice, for the most part. I notice at work all the time the people who just casually say NO to cake or muffins. No one makes a fuss. Of course, as a sugar addict, I notice - LOL. I wonder how they do it. But then I am already off the addiction cycle now, and I could refuse anything. Maybe AA has the right idea. You will not have sugar and white flour today. Never mind freaking yourself out about "NEVER AGAIN". That's way too much pressure.
Rambling now. Anyway, good to meet you, mabdab. You'll see I have changed my signature to 60 by 60. Thanks for the great idea.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 17:26

BF:

I like it, "I will not have sugar or flour today", I can deal with that.

Good Luck ldahling, we are all in this big boat together.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 18:13
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

If it makes you guys feel any better, I was 49 when I re-upped. I didn't want to turn 50 and have to buy a girdle.

I am also one of those people who LOSE NOTHING during induction. NOTHING. But went on to lose all my weight by practicing OWL slowly and carefully.

Also, as time passes, you break the addictive cycle of wheat, grains, and sugar and you find that not only do you lose the taste for it, but the physical ramifications are enough to make you swear off.

I don't care how old you are, it can be done. Plus, it beats the alternative.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-29-11, 23:29

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hey, I'm old, too. I couldn't lose this time around until I cut my calories...something I have never had to do before while low carbing. Guess it's my old metabolism (I'm 58).

If any of you want to try it...I'm starting a challenge to record calories in addition to carbs for 2 weeks...I did it once (the first 2-week challenge) just to see if it would work, and it did. I think I l've lost maybe 9 lbs. It made me more aware and also made it easier to curb my eating - even a little, like that last little something before bed - knowing I was going to post my numbers in the morning

Anyway, you're all welcome to join me!

Here it is: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=428710
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-30-11, 21:35

BF:

I appreciate the encouragement. I am 58 also.
And I did not know not losing on induction could happen. Thanks for telling me that. I will stick with it.

Health and to make my knees happier are what are driving me today. And feeling embarrassed about my size...I do feel bad that I got this way in the first place, so I am doing something about it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-30-11, 21:40

BF:

I tried something new today. My boss brought in ice cream with all the sundae fixings as a treat for our group.
When someone asked me if I was having some, I replied, " No, I prefer bitter to sweet."
Oh, if only it were true. Maybe if I say it enough, I'll start to believe it.