Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 14:50
Thank You Dr. Atkins

Plan: Atkinsmyway/Carb Cycling
Stats: 185/135/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 100%
Default Atacand for BP Stalling Weight Loss?

At my request my doctor took me off of a Beta-Blocker and HCTZ and put me on Atacand for my blood pressure. This was suppose to help me lose weight as Beta Blockers and HCTZ are big no-nos for Dr. Atkins.

Now I saw on the Atkins site that the nutritionist there says that Atacand can slow weight loss also???

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Looks like I need to get off this and use nutrients and vitamins to lower BP until I can lose weight!

Last edited by LCanita : Thu, Apr-22-04 at 14:51. Reason: misspelled word (I'm a perfectionist)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 20:12

Plan: Dr. Poon
Stats: 196/186/165 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have lost 35 pounds (Oct-March) and my husband has lost 90 pounds (June-March) while on Atacand....we started on AtacandPlus and then were switched to Atacand without the diuretic. The benefit of not having high blood pressure far out "weighs" the pace of your weight loss. Both my husband and I are now drug free and our blood pressure remains within the normal range. Exercise and eating carb careful eating will be our approach to keeping our pressure and our weight low from now on....but until our weight was low our BP didn't remain low without medication. Your doctor should keep supporting you to lose weight for BP control. Please don't fool around with your BP it is the silent killer.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: Insulin Control Program
Stats: 170/170/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Don't fool around with meds!

I agree with the above post. My first instinct is to change/quit my meds. I take lots for lots of different things. Speaking from experience, even if you are to switch to another med, that is also hard on your system.

Every med you take, especially if you have been taking it for a while, has an effect on your body that your body is used to. Change anything suddenly, along with the new diet, could make you feel worse than it is worth, and you may just quit the diet or something.

Taking care of yourself includes more than loosing weight especially if you have other health issues. Blood pressure is something you don't want to fool around with.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/185/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Guess I am sunk

I am on a beta-blocker, too, called Atenolol, but I am not taking it for high blood pressure, as my BP has always been fine. My doctor prescribed it to prevent bouts of tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, which I used to get about once a year. I have been on Atkins since October of 2003, in the "Induction Phase" and have not lost even one pound or inch. I also joined a gym in January and I work out four days per week. I do 35 minutes of sweating on the cardio equipment then 30 to 45 minutes of weight training, with barbells, dumbells and the equipment that uses cables/weights. I have seen zero results, and people just don't believe me. Guess I am just destined to look like Jabba the Hut no matter how hard I exercise or how little I eat. Meanwhile, all of the other people I work out with have leach ost at least 30 pounds so far and they work out less than I do. Sighhhhhhhhh