Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 00:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/183/125
BF:Start 40.4 / Curr
Progress: 23%
Default New and lQQking for LC buddies.

Hi. I am new and in search of LC buddies to chat with and support each other. It's always better when you have a bunch of people to talk to since this can be a difficult road to travel down at times. Hope to chat with some new people soon!
Lynn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 07:11

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up

Hi! I'm also in Ohio! Heard on the local news the other day that our state is listed as one that has the most overweight folks! Yikes! Should we move???

How long have you been on Atkins? Hubby and I are on about our 2nd week, kinda! Found out that we were'nt exactly doing it right until the book arrived. We were going by what some friends had told us and finally found the book!

Nice to meet you! Hope we turn into goddesses.....eh????
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 11:49

Stats: 140/135/118 Female 5'6"
BF:
Cool

Hi ! I moved to Florida from Indiana in November. I have browsed this sight and I am starting this WOE tomorrow. I am also looking for a buddy !!!! Any help would be appreciated -- I plan on checking out the Atkins book this week.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 19:47

Hey Hooprat! Nice to meet ya!

So you're in Florida....eh? I lived there at one time in the late 80's just outside Tampa! Loved everything about it except the bugs! The folks down there call giant roaches Palmetto bugs!

HUH! They're just glorified roaches! Hated those and the love bugs...if those are still there!

Anyway, I'm a newbie as well and just getting rolling on this! The first few days I was a basket case, but now the pounds are coming off! Just amazing! This is so different than anything I was raised to believe! Bacon? Hadn't had bacon in years! It's so much fun to eat these things I thought was evil and actually lose weight! Hope you'll get the book and give it a try! Watcha got to lose but weight???

Cya!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 16:12

Stats: 140/135/118 Female 5'6"
BF:
Cool Hello

Well, you are right. The bugs here are huge and everywhere !! I started the Induction phase today. You are right I have nothing but weight to lose!! I hope things are going well. Have a good one ! hooprat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 21:40
Registered Member

Default hey j.j.

Me and my husband have been on this now since 5-14-2003. i have lost now a total of 16lbs. this used to be hard for me but now its a walk in the park. i do although have a hard time taking in enough carbs. im now starting to eat more veggies. i have some great recipes if your ever interested. ive spent a ton of time surfing the web and reading low carb cook books. if you have any good ideas let me know. i think i am posting a reply to u in the right way. if not someone let me know please.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 07:12

Hi Lynn!

15 lbs? THAT'S GREAT!!!!

I've lost about 7lbs in 3 wks., but I didn't really start the official Induction until about two weeks ago! The book hadn't arrived yet, so I wasn't sure what I was doing! I'm still learning everyday!

I'm all up for taking any recipes you can offer up!! This is still a bit confusing for me. YukonSun had a great recipe for Mock Danish that I've been eating in the morning! Have you tried that one yet?

Well have a great low carb day! My inness goddess is in there just waiting to appear!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 11:58
Registered Member

Default J.J.

I would love that recipe for the mock danish. I have not even heard about that one. I live on low carb shakes for breakfast. And i know my hubby would like something to grab and take off to work with him also. i will post some recipes on here later this evening for you.
Talk to you soon,
Lynn
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 16:56

Here's the recipe for Mock Danish:

Mock Danish
its egg.... but to die for yummy

1 egg (i usually use 2)
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp splenda

soften cream cheese in microwave, add egg, vanilla and splenda and mix... nuke until cooked (1-2 mins)
on top add butter and cinnamon (yum) or some SF jam

This is courtesy of YukonSun!!

Unfortunately, DH will have to sit down to eat this! I can't see him carrying it to work! This all goes into one bowl, cereal size bowl and popped into the microwave. How easy is that???
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 19:20
Registered Member

Thumbs up Thank You

Thanks a bunch that sounds great!!!! i cant wait to try it in the morning. im going to reboot my pc because ive been having a hard time with it and after i do that i will then add a few of my recipes to the site for you. happy low carbing!!!!!!!!!!
lynn
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:48
Registered Member

Default JJ

Hey there, My pc is a piece of crap but anyhow... here is a wonderfull recipe for a shake. I end each of my days with it. Have you ever heard of EAS carb control shakes? they are great!!!!! the strawberry and cream ones are my favorite. I buy mine at walmart. You have to watch it though and make sure that you buy carb control. They have 2 grams of carb and 2 dietary fiber so that makes them carb free. i take a cup of crushed ice and a half of a carb control shake and and blend them together and then i take some heavy whipping cream and 1/4 pack splenda and whip that up and then top my shake with it. I buy kroger heavy whipping cream (it has no carbs). It is the perfect end of the day treat and carb free.
Another thing i make all the time is meatballs. I use 3 pounds of hamburger and and 3 eggs, crushed pork rinds, garlic powder, season salt, chopped red onion and olive oil. mix them all together and then form into balls and bake at 350 for 30 mins. they are great for a quick snack or lunch.
Salmon patties are great too. I use salmon 2 cans (canned pink alaskan) eggs, crushed pork rinds, season salt, pepper, garlic powder and fry in vegtable oil or canola oil.
Also get on the atkins web site www.Atkins.com they have a fantastic country buttermilk crispy fried chicken recipe.
And i wanted to tell you about something else. I also take 1500mg. of L-Carnitine a day. this is a wonderfull harmless suppliment that helps you burn fat faster. You should take it at night on an empty stomach. to read more on L-Carnitine go to http://www.weightremedy.net/carnitine.html or http://www.wholehealthdiscountcenter.com/lc/

since i have been taking it i have lost more weight. I take 1500mg before bed and 1500mg before a work out. It is perfectly safe but a little expensive. It is naturally produced by the body but deficiencies in L-Carnitine are manifested as low energy levels and muscular weakness. L-Carnitine deficiencies can also appear as mental confusion or cloudiness, angina (heart pain) and weight gain. Its worth the money. And believe me i am a cheap person. lol.
So, Anything new with you? hope to chat soon.
Your LC Buddy,
Lynn

Last edited by lynninohio : Thu, Jun-19-03 at 11:51.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 15:14

Hi Lynn!

Thanks for all the great info and recipes! I'll check my local Wal-Mart and see if they have the EAS carb control shakes!

I ran into two other people today that's on the Atkins! We went to a local Bob Evans and the waitress had been on it for two weeks and had already lost 15 lbs. She was very helpful with ordering our meals and seeing to it we got what we wanted. And , bless her heart, she didn't ask if we wanted dessert!!LOL!

Went to have my hair done today and the nail technician there is also on it! Great day for talking to other folks about the diet!

Hope you had a great day!!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 16:16
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey Lynn and everyone else....I'm Alicia from Central OH.
Please feel free to add me to your buddy list.

I will attach what I wrote in another forum just so U can learn a little about me:

Hello all!! I'm so happy to be here. This forum is sooo helpful. I really needed something like this 6 years ago when I tried Atkins for the first time. It was very frustrating to have little to no support from family and friends.

Well a little about me...I've been married 8 years this month. I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. I work full time and unfortunately have had little time for excersing.

At this time in my life I want to lose over 100lbs. Back in 1992-1993 I lost over 50lbs with WW but that program hasn't seemed to work for me since.

I think this is a good time in life for low carbers...great salads at fast food chains!! And lots and lots of choices out there in restaurants...last week I even survived at a Mexican restaurant with a little tweaking.

I've been on Atkins for 2 and half weeks now and have lost 6 lbs, and gained back 2?!!! I'm hanging in there and making sure I try to make good choices. I'm going to try to patient this time cause I know that this WOE is good for me and I should eventually see results.

I do have a couple of questions?....Do I need to count the veggies in my lunch salads towards my daily carb count? And I know Atkins is not a fan of processed cheese but isn't that what fast food chains use on their burgers?

Thanx for being their guys!! And good luck with your efforts!! :wave
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 17:20

Hi Sophotia!!!

Okay, this is really cool! We are not only the same sign (astrological), but also born on the same day!!!!

Unfortunately, I'm much older than you! I graduated from Brookhaven HS in Columbus in 1971 while you were being potty trained!!!!

Well, back to dieting!!.....Yep, on the salad veggies....they count!
You're right about the choices at restaurants! DH and I met at Bob Evans for lunch and the waitress that was serving us was also on the Atkins diet for the same length of time as us!! Small world! Anyway, she made things so pleasant, we didn't have to explain away the potatoes, biscuits and gravy! We even exchanged recipes! How cool is that???

I live in the southern part of the state, but I grew up in Columbus! Only moved back down here in '96 to marry my childhood sweetheart! (He's on the diet with me!) I still come to Columbus on a regular basis to visit my family. What a small world!! Wish we had a Chili's Restaurant down here! I can think of all kinds of things on their menu I'd just love!!!!

Welcome and stay in touch!!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 20:50
Registered Member

Default Hi Sophotia

Nice to meet you Sophotia
Ok I have a few questions that are not On LC eating. How in the heck can i PM someone it says that i cant why is that? can anybody help me with that one?
I have been walking everynight now faithfully and im hoping this will also help with the weight loss. These next 2 weeks will be hard ones for me because mother nature should be sending me my monthly bill and we all know how wonderfull that is
i always gain weight that is water but none the less is discouraging as hell for me. and i always ALWAYS ALWAYS want chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe now it will be different since i do not miss any of the old foods anymore. Im haveing too much weightloss to even want to eat like that anymore. The saying " nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" is SOOOO TRUE!!!!

Everyone have a great night.
If anyone can help me on the pms please let me know ill be online for a bit yet tonight. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Last edited by lynninohio : Thu, Jun-19-03 at 21:04.