Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-06, 10:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/150/132 Female 5ft 4.5in
BF:
Progress: 5%

Santabarb - thank you. Great and informative links.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 11:13

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Barb, I agree with you about the chemicals in our environment. I was reading an article recently in a child development magazine (let's just say I was in a doctor's waiting room and it was the only reading material around other than Car & Driver).

You know how these young ladies these day seem soooooo much more developed than we were at that age? Not surprising, says the article. Plastics contain a substance that mimics human hormone. Any exposure at all to plastics means you're getting this substance into your system. Think of all the plastics in our lives. Baby bottles, kids' toys, furniture, storage containers, the list is endless.

The article talked about how in the early 1900s, young women had their first periods around 17. Now it's not at all unusual for 9- and 10-year-olds to get a period. It even mentioned kindergardeners getting pubic and armpit hair!

Without soundling like an alarmist, I belive the toxic chemicals around us are affecting us in grave ways (pun intended).

If you're interested, there's a book called "The Coming Plague" that is a real eye-opener. I don't even use Tupperware anymore, not even to store foods in, let alone to use in the microwave.

Last night I came across this Sept 06 article by Andrew Weil on plastics. If this doesn't get you there, google "andrew weil plastics" and you'll find his thoughts.
http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/sh...C=5424&iPageNui

I paid good money for all these "Number 7" plastic bottles for water we buy from a reverse-osmosis water store. turns out tho' they used to say the higher the plastic number, the safer, Weil utterly disagrees. The plastic grade number is found in the little triangle imprinted on the bottom of many plastic containers.
He likes waxed paper--and glass, of course.
  #213   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 11:16

BF:

Here's Weil's article resuming his main points:

Issue: September 2006
Living Better with Plastics

Plastic is hailed as one of the world’s greatest inventions. While its use in products such as helmets and computers makes lives safer and tasks easier, I’m wary of many kitchen plastics used to protect and serve meals. Recent studies show that when some plastics come in contact with food, certain chemicals migrate to the food and may cause an array of health problems. Scientists fear that even low levels of these chemicals may reduce immunity and alter behavior in adults and cause cancers and irreversible organ damage in fetuses and children. The good news is that you don’t have to give up the convenience of your favorite plastic, because in almost all cases there are similar products made from a safer plastic or other material.

A Closer Look at Four Problem Plastics

In June, San Francisco banned the manufacturing, sale, and distribution of child-care products and toys containing certain phthalates and bisphenol A, both hormone-disrupting chemicals found in some plastics that are thought to interfere with childhood development. The European Union has similar bans on phthalates.

Bisphenol A (BPA). BPA is found in many polycarbonate plastic products (often labeled as #7), such as plastic labeled as microwavable, eating utensils, linings for metal food and beverage containers, baby bottles, and other products. I believe San Francisco’s measure to ban BPA in children’s products is justified. BPA is a hormone disrupter, a chemical that alters the body’s normal hormonal activity and mimics the effects of estrogen. In mice and rats, exposure to BPA has led to miscarriages, birth defects, and mental retardation, as well as early puberty, breast and prostate cancers, and reduced sperm counts. In laboratory studies, this chemical has been shown to inhibit the formation of connections in a part of the brain called the hippocampus, or memory center.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention detected BPA in the urine of a majority of the thousands of people it tested in the United States. Frederick vom Saal, PhD, a professor of reproductive biology at the University of Missouri-Columbia, has been researching the effects of these chemicals for more than 30 years and is convinced they’re a danger to health, especially for children and fetuses. He and his colleagues looked at human cells and BPA and were astonished at the small amount of chemicals needed to alter the cells. Since then, more than 40 studies have confirmed the negative effect of low doses of BPA on human cells and mouse cells, where they produced an almost identical response. More studies show BPA’s cell-altering effects at higher levels.

I’m concerned about these findings. Normal wear and tear of plastics causes chemicals to leach. “In adults, high levels affect behaviors and the immune system, but babies are ruined for life,” says vom Saal. Of particular concern is the abundance of baby bottles on the market containing BPA. Consumer Reports tested hard plastic baby bottles and found that even after multiple washings, they continued to leach BPA. “When you boil them in water, you have an estrogen cocktail,” says vom Saal.

“Many countries, in fact, have banned polycarbonate dishes and cutlery,” says vom Saal. “In Japan, consumer use of polycarbonate is crashing.” Recent state bills in California, Maryland, and Minnesota that proposed a ban on children’s products containing high levels of BPA haven’t fared as well as legislation did in San Francisco.
My advice:
• Microwave food in glass or ceramic, never in plastic.
• Unfortunately, cans are not labeled that they contain BPA. Once opened, notice the canned products that are lined with plastic and try to avoid them.
• Switch to baby bottles made of glass or opaque pastel-colored #4 or #5 plastic. (Evenflo and Gerber offer nontoxic bottles.) I’m not concerned about toddlers’ sippy cups, which are made from safe #5 and polyethylene #2 plastic.

Polystyrene. Polystyrene, labeled as #6
, is often found
in foam containers and cups and sometimes in clear disposable takeout containers, plastic cutlery, and cups. Polystyrene may leach styrene, a possible human carcinogen, into food it comes in contact with. Studies involving mice show that when it’s ingested over several weeks, this chemical can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and brain.
My advice:
• Avoid consuming hot liquids, fatty foods, or alcoholic drinks from Styrofoam containers, since heat and alcohol may increase leaching of the chemical.
• Transfer foods from takeout containers made of Styrofoam to glass or ceramic.

Adipates and Phthalates. Many plastic-wrapped foods in grocery stores, such as meats and cheeses, are wrapped in polyvinyl chloride (PVC), often labeled as #3 plastic. To make PVC plastic flexible, manufacturers add chemicals called plasticizers. These chemicals, known as adipates and phthalates, can leach out of the PVC into food, especially hot, fatty foods. In mice, these chemicals have been shown to cause birth defects, fetal death, and damage to the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive systems. Di-(2-ethylhexyl) adipate, or DEHA, is one plasticizer used in many plastic wraps. In one study by the Consumers Union, 19 pieces of cheese wrapped in plastic were analyzed and the seven that were wrapped in PVC plastic contained consistently high levels of DEHA. Levels averaged 153 parts per million; the European Union’s limit is 18 parts per million for DEHA migration from plastic to food.
My advice:
• Since many plastics used to wrap meat and cheese are made from PVC, I take these items out of the plastic and wrap them in one of my favorite kitchen tools—wax paper. You can also store them in a glass or ceramic dish covered with a lid or a piece of PVC-free plastic wrap (not touching the food), such as Glad Cling Wrap or Saran Cling Plus.
• Never let plastic wrap touch food in the microwave.
• Some cooking oils are sold in plastic bottles made from PVC. Only store oils in glass bottles.

Selecting the Right Water Bottle

All soft plastics have the potential to leach chemicals into food and beverages, including disposable and reusable bottles. Here are a few practical tips:
• Avoid reusing single-use plastic bottles. Frequent washing of disposable plastic bottles may accelerate its breakdown and cause chemicals called adipates to leach.
• Toss the bottle of water that’s been sitting in your car. Solar heat can do as much damage as the microwave.
• Some plastic bottles are made from BPA, so use stainless steel water bottles (visit kleankanteen.com).

Good and Bad Plastics by the Numbers

Plastics to Avoid

#3 polyvinyl chloride (V or PVC)
Where you’ll find it: plastic wrap, cooking oil bottles

#6 polystyrene (PS)
Where you’ll find it: Styrofoam

#7 other (usually polycarbonate made with bisphenol A)
Where you’ll find it: microwavable plastics, eating utensils, linings for metal food and beverage containers, baby bottles

Safer Plastics

#1 polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE)
Where you’ll find it: soft drink and water bottles

#2 high-density polyethylene (HDPE)
Where you’ll find it: milk and water bottles

#4 low-density polyethylene (LDPE)
Where you’ll find it: wrapping films, grocery bags

#5 polypropylene (PP)
Where you’ll find it: yogurt containers, syrup bottles
  #214   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 11:27

BF:

This is from the Environmental Working Group, a very worthwhile organization working to protect us all. I can't do the original page justice in its format.

Pollution In People: What's In You?

From the moment of conception to the end of life, our bodies play host to a myriad of industrial chemicals that cross into our bloodstream through our skin, gut, or lungs. They are consumer product ingredients, or pollutants in air, water and food. They are fire retardants, grease-proof coatings, plasticizers, and solvents. Collectively, they are our personal body burden of pollution.

Since 2000 the Environmental Working Group has spearheaded a series of studies finding more than 450 chemicals - plasticizers, solvents, flame retardants, pesticides, and grease-proof coatings - in 72 people tested, from newborns to grandparents, from Florida to Washington State. Our studies show that this contamination is universal, and that it begins even before birth.

What's in you? While body burden lab tests are prohibitively expensive, you can take this simple "virtual" body burden test to learn about the industrial chemicals are likely to be in you:

Do you ...

Eat processed food

Drink unfiltered tap water

Eat canned tuna fish or other seafood

Eat non-organic produce

Have a pressure-treated wooden deck, picnic table, or playset

Use Teflon pans, wear non-stick clothes, eat fast-food or microwave popcorn

Sleep or sit on a foam mattress or cushion

Eat canned goods or drink from hard plastic bottles

Which of these personal care products do you use?

SKIN CARE (SUN)

After Sun Product Sunless Tanning
Sunscreen/Tanning Oil

SKIN CARE (NOURISHING)

Around-eye Cream Bath Oil/Salts/Soak
Body Firming Lotion Body Oil
Body Powder Facial Moisturizer/Treatment
Hormonal Cream (Men's) Moisturizer

SKIN CARE (MEDICATING)

Acne Treatment Anti-aging
Anti-fungal Treatment Anti-itch/rash Cream
Foot Treatment Insect Repellant
Pain/Wound Treatment Redness/Rosacea Treatment
Skin Fading/Lightener Varicose/Spider Vein Treatment

SKIN CARE (HAIR REMOVAL)

After Shave Depilatory
Depilatory (Men's) Facial Hair Bleach
Hair Growth Inhibitor Hair Removal Waxes
Shaving Cream Shaving Cream (Men's)

SKIN CARE (FRAGRANCE)

Antiperspirant/Deodorant Antiperspirant/Deodorant (Men's)
Body Spray

SKIN CARE (FEMININE CARE)

Feminine Moisturizer Feminine Powder/Deodorant
Hormonal Cream Lubricant/Spermicide
Personal Cleansing

SKIN CARE (CLEANSING)

Bar Soap Body Wash/Cleanser
Bubble Bath Exfoliant/Scrub
Facial Cleanser Hand Sanitizer
Liquid Hand Soap Makeup Remover
Mask Oil Controller
Personal Cleansing (Men's)

SKIN CARE (BABY)

Baby Bubble Bath Baby Lotion
Baby Oil Baby Powder
Baby Soap Baby Sunscreen
Baby Wipes Cradle Cap Treatment
Diaper Cream Nipple Cream (for Moms)

NAIL CARE

Cuticle Treatment Nail Glue
Nail Polish Nail Treatment
Polish Remover

HAIR CARE

Baby Shampoo Conditioner
Dandruff/Scalp Treatment Hair Color and Bleaching
Hair Spray Hair-loss Treatment
Relaxer Shampoo
Styling Gel/Lotion Styling Mousse/Foam

FRAGRANCE
Cologne Perfume

EYE/VISION CARE
Contact Lens Cleaners Contact Lens Saline Solution
Eye Drops/Artificial Tears Eye Drops/Artificial Tears for Contacts
Eye Makeup Remover

DENTAL/ORAL
Baby Toothpaste Denture Care
Lip Balm/Treatment Mouthwash
Tooth Whitening Toothpaste

COLOR COSMETICS
Blush Bronzer/Highlighter
Brow Liner Concealer
Eye Liner Eye Shadow
Foundation Glitter
Lip Gloss Lip Liner
Lipstick Mascara
Other Eye Makeup Powder

Instructions
1. Select all the products you use in each of the categories.
2. To select multiple items in a list, hold down the <CONTROL> key on PCs or the <Open Apple> key on Macs while clicking
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and press the "Get Results" button.

Also:

adhesives and adhesive removers
audio/visual products

automotive products
furniture, flooring, and building products

household cleaners
industrial cleaners

inks
metal cleaners

paints, stains, etc
sealants and lubricants

textiles, shoes, and clothing

www.ewg.org is the website for both Environmental Working Group and EWG Action Fund

Copyright 2006, Environmental Working Group. All Rights Reserved.

Headquarters 1436 U St. N.W., Suite 100 | Washington, DC 20009 || Contact Us
California Office 1904 Franklin St. Suite 703 | Oakland, CA 94612 || Contact Us
Support EWG - Donate Now
stattrax.com

Last edited by santabarb : Tue, Nov-28-06 at 11:34.
  #215   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavii125
I've also finally found Tonalin CLA over here and have joined the Great CLA Experiment taking 3000mg per day as of yesterday. I was wondering however, are these basically the same thing?!! My starflower states GLA, but Tonalin is CLA. Does anyone have any idea?

I tried Tonalin without much success but it did a good job on irritating my stomach, LOL. I prefer CLA from animal sources : good cheese, grass fed beef, full fat greek yougurt. All CLA supplements derived from either Safflower or sunflower oils, I believe, so whole foods are better.
JMO
  #216   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 12:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb

Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA)
GLA is then broken down to arachidonic acid (AA) and/or another ... Omega-6 fatty acid supplementation, in the form of GLA from EPO or other sources may ...
www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/GammaLinolenicAcidGLAcs.html - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

Curious about linolenic acid?: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linolenic_acid

I always thought that we get too much of Omega 6 as is, and also arachidonic acid is pro-inflamatory substance, so I is there a need to supplement with Omega -6? I think we should try to take some Omega-3 to balance Omega-6 out, in form of fish oil, or yet, better eat more oily fish and seafood in general.
Also, grass fed meat has a good ratio of Omega 3 and Omega 6.
  #217   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 16:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sheesh! Give me a chance to catch up! Barb, you gave me a TON to read.

I knew about the PVC, but never thought about the plastic wrap on meat I buy at the grocery store. I used to re-wrap everything in freezer wrap (heavy parchment waxed on one side, I think), but got out of the habit. Time to start again!

And my beloved Dunkin' Donuts coffee. I guess it's not too much of a hardship to transfer it to another container when I get to the office. Stainless steel is a good choice.

What about the Nalgene bottles? I've forgotten the generic name for it.

We've gotten a bit off topic here, but it's VERY interesting!
  #218   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 16:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench

What about the Nalgene bottles? I've forgotten the generic name for it.

This article talks about children and toxic plastics:
Quote:
Choose safer containers for sippy cups and water bottles. Look for plastics labeled #1, #2, #4, or #5 in the recycling triangle. As an alternative to hard plastic water bottles (such as the polycarbonate Nalgene bottles), try a lightweight stainless steel bottle instead.

http://ecologicalmedicine.bioneers.org/node/14
I stopped using bottled water and had the filter installed. We also buy only mineral sparking water in glass bottles, and don't microwave anything wrapped in plastic. We get beef from the local farm, so it comes wrapped in butcher paper. I think plastic wrap is safe as long is not heated, but I still re-wrap cheese and such in parchment paper for storage.

Last edited by dina1957 : Thu, Nov-30-06 at 11:41.
  #219   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 16:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Good for you Dina! I hate all the pollution these little plastic bottles are creating.
  #220   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 11:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Good for you Dina! I hate all the pollution these little plastic bottles are creating.

I recall drinking tap water before coming to US and I was fine. I still think that bottled water is all about $$$$, now there is "Smart Water"
  #221   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 14:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
This article talks about children and toxic plastics:

http://ecologicalmedicine.bioneers.org/node/14
I stopped using bottled water and had the filter installed. We also buy only mineral sparking water in glass bottles, and don't microwave anything wrapped in plastic. We get beef from the local farm, so it comes wrapped in butcher paper. I think plastic wrap is safe as long is not heated, but I still re-wrap cheese and such in parchment paper for storage.

Excellent, Dina--You are really on top of it. I don't know how to go about locating a local farm that sells grass fed beef.

Which water filter did you install? I own $60 worth of polycarbonate (number 7) bottles I now know to be toxic!!!! Maybe I need the filter. Actually, I have one from Sears, and before that Culligan--but it costs a fortune to find a qualified plumber to repair any problems. Cheaper to buy new.

Sparkling mineral water in glass for a large household might ruin us financially.
  #222   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 10:20

BF:

A little about my weekend:

We attended a weekend conference on ecology from a spiritual perspective.

In brief, the topic was about how we as a human race are running the earth into the ground, destroying important parts of its functioning before our grandchildren will ever get to enjoy it. Because of money-driven unsustainable practices, ignorance and greed, it is not known how much of the earth's original systems can be recovered.

The hospitality was very nice, but food was not low carb and I felt bloated from it. I yearned for my meats, my additive-free and yeast-free foods.

They served excellent fair trade coffee called Friendship Coffee.

This is how to order this excellent tasting coffee that is way cheaper than coffee shops or supermarkets.

http://equalexchange.stores.yahoo.net/paccof.html
  #223   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 11:17

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Nalgene makes different kinds of plastic. I have both #2 (whitish translucent with some give to it) and #3 (smoky grey but see-through & harder than #2) water bottles. It is interesting that the one I assumed was better because it is harder (#3) is the one to avoid. And "microwaveable" containers are worse than yogurt containers. Thanks for the link. I mostly use glass, but will now know which plastics to choose in a pinch.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-06, 13:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Excellent, Dina--You are really on top of it. I don't know how to go about locating a local farm that sells grass fed beef.

I don't know where are you in California but here is the listing on the ranches that sell grass fed beef and lamb in CA:
http://www.eatwild.com/products/california.html
I personally buy from Chileno Valley 3 rd year in a row, but they don't deliver so we have to pick it up. It is about an hour or so drive up North, so we don't mind. The beef has superioir taste, we buy a split qurter.This including parts from front and back, and also i bones that make delcious soups in winter.
Quote:
Which water filter did you install? I own $60 worth of polycarbonate (number 7) bottles I now know to be toxic!!!! Maybe I need the filter. Actually, I have one from Sears, and before that Culligan--but it costs a fortune to find a qualified plumber to repair any problems. Cheaper to buy new.

We use Purina from Costco, not too expensive, I hear people install reverse osmosis systems, which is it a bit too much IMHO. . I am not to fussy about filters, while chlorine is not our best friend, all filters remove most of the so much needed minerals. Most of magnesium in our supply used to come from water, not food. I belive we don't need "clean" water per se, but need "smart" water with adequate mineral content.

Quote:
Sparkling mineral water in glass for a large household might ruin us financially.

I understand it, I drink mineral warer with dinner only (when I don't have wine ), not just to make my daily quote. It is cost effective, especially if you have larger family.
I do not believe that we need to drink certain amount of water, expecially when not thristy, so I don't go overboard.
  #225   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 02:32

BF:

Thanks, Dina for the valuable information on healthy beef. Since I'm not in Northern California I'll have to keep searching. Still, it is heartening to see these people promoting wholesome farming practices!

I agree with you about the magnesium lack in processed water! Magnesium is absolutely critical to my well being. I worry though about fluoride in tap water since our cities all promote it.

Thanks for the link. Anyone else want to add something here?