Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 465/355/230 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default One more question about wine

Of all the things that i have to change the one that seems most daunting is giving up wine, i love and collect wine.

Will a bottle red totally derail me ?

Can i keep this one life pleasure, i really enjoy wine

Steve
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 21:07

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman

Only you can find out. If I was you, and I'm not, I'd set a date in the future, maybe 6 months, when you can experiment with it. For now the me that's not you would let the collection collect a little dust and perhaps value

Good Luck Steve!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 21:23

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
Of all the things that i have to change the one that seems most daunting is giving up wine, i love and collect wine.

Can i keep this one life pleasure, i really enjoy wine

Steve

Steve,
I don't know the answer to your precise question but I can give you a suggestion based on what I have done myself.
Like you I love wine with a preference for red but I also enjoy dry whites. However, when I began LC over one year ago I decided to play safe and eliminate all alcohol just to avoid the 'unknown' and give myself the best chance of achieving my weight loss goal. However I also incentivised myself by promising that if I achieved my goal I would resume drinking wine - albeit in moderation.
This I have done starting about two months ago. My average wine consumption is only about 2 glasses per week, which is very moderate and so far there is no 'derailing'. As everyone is different this probably doesn't prove anything much but I just offer it as a suggestion - i.e play safe while giving yourself an incentive - provided you have the willpower to go cold turkey on alcohol consumption for a while.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, there's always the "how often" question and are we talking about a bottle a day? Yeah, that's almost certainly too much. However, YMMV, and given that you're a male, you probably have more leeway than the female of the species.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

For true reliable weight loss, I think the best is be as much of a purist on low carb healthy fat as possible.
No wine. It's got sugar. As soon as you start "bargaining" with yourself on allowing certain sugars ... you're really not low-carbing. You're playing with fire.
Once you get down a couple hundred pounds, then you can maybe introduce one glass of wine to see how it affects you, but certainly not a bottle!! Are you reading and following an Atkins book? I would saturate myself in all the good books to really understand why LCHF works. And how important it is to stay in a state of ketosis. Don't bargain with your success!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I had a really really good reason to stop drinking. I was starting rehab for a brain injury. And, after about two months, it was fine. It didn't bother me, at all.

Once the rehab became less intense, I had the occasional drink.

Part of a margarita, last June. A half glass of wine, on our anniversary, last July.

I might have a half glass of wine, twice in a week. I might have nothing, for weeks on end. But if I were starting out on a low carb eating plan, and I wanted to give it the best chance of being successful, I'd do as suggested above, and not drink at all for some time.

And, any time you start thinking of drinking an entire bottle? Too much.

Way too much.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 09:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Steve - good suggestions from all posters here on your question. I, too, am a wine lover, and realized early on that if I were to get my health back on track, I needed to have consistency in following the low carb approach. Yeah, I didn't want to hear that, but since I valued life and quality of life more than, yes, even wine and single malt whisky, I did what others here have done. I became dry for a few months.

Like others, I have added wine and whisky back into my life style, but have become very selective on when I do this. Alcohol will slow weight loss and occupies the liver while it's in your system. There are better things for your liver to do. Today, I treat wine as an occasional luxury and unhesitatingly celebrate with wine with family and friends, and I'm fine with it. See how it works for you, and good luck on your journey.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 12:59

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

My husband and I both tried losing weight with wine (and scotch for him). I lost nothing; he lost some but not much. When I quit drinking altogether is when the weight started flying off. My husband has had more success without alcohol, too.

I miss wine a lot, but I don't miss the weight. One day maybe I'll add it back to my life, but today is not that day. Diet soda is my vice now. LOL
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 20:45

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

A glass of wine-wine has about 4g or less of carbs. Even in induction your limit is 20g per day on average. So, in one day, if you eat a half pound of hamburger with two slices of cheddar cheese, six eggs and a glass of wine that's 1222 calories, 95g of protein and 8.4g of carbs. The carbs from the wine is less than from the eggs and cheese.

That's more than enough food to fill me up and I'm not going to sweat the carbs from the wine.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 21:10

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Everyone is different. You will almost certainly lose faster without wine, but a small amount might not stall your results too much. If you are thinking this diet is not for you without some wine, don't let that stop you. This diet works and very small amounts will probably be alright, as long as they are small and preferably not frequent.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 21:40

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I can actually be pretty happy with just about 1/4 glass of wine, or just a couple of sips. But I still only do that a couple of times a week, with dinner. Doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I will give it up if necessary.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-16, 07:29

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Inflammabl, he was talking about an entire bottle of wine.

ETA: the biggest reason to avoid alcohol while trying to lose is that a)the effects are increased on LCHF and b)one of those effects is an increase in appetite, and a loosening of the ability to ignore that appetite.

For me, there's also a c) it's extremely neurotoxic. More so than a lot of illicit drugs. And I have a brain injury, so I've already had enough brain cells destroyed, thank you.