Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 11:02

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

After seeing that this is one of the longest threads in the forum, I checked out the book yesterday and just made it through the introduction. So far I am loving it! Wiley makes a lot of sense, I wish more people made these connections.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 13:01
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris
After seeing that this is one of the longest threads in the forum
It actually IS the longest thread in the Paleo forum!... by far! There... I just made it a little longer!

Enjoy the book... it is a good read!
  #138   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 18:47
Registered Member

Default When we can no longer burn the midnight oil...

Well... to actually contribute something legitimate to extend the length of this "longest thread on the paleo forum"...

I was wondering if anyone thought about how in the (possibly near) future, when electric prices go through the stratosphere, there will be a huge change in all the lights (and business/activity) that currently run 24/7? I wonder if then we will begin to see less cancer and other diseases (including, of course, obesity). I do think we will end up "eating in season", since we won't be able to afford the "thousand mile caesar salad". We will also be eating grass-fed animals and lots of locally grown veggies, since grains are totally tied to modern big-ag (read petroleum based) farming practices.

What do others think of this? In her book, Wiley points out the fact that back before the widespread use of the lightbulb, people slept around 10 hours a night. I have a feeling we will all be sleeping a lot more, since we won't have the energy to do all these all-nighters anymore!
  #139   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 06:33
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it won't happen in our next few lifetimes and probably never. People want modern life and technology will advance to ensure it.
  #140   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Probably the pregnancy rate would sky rocket.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 13:00

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
I was wondering if anyone thought about how in the (possibly near) future, when electric prices go through the stratosphere, there will be a huge change in all the lights (and business/activity) that currently run 24/7? I wonder if then we will begin to see less cancer and other diseases (including, of course, obesity). I do think we will end up "eating in season", since we won't be able to afford the "thousand mile caesar salad". We will also be eating grass-fed animals and lots of locally grown veggies, since grains are totally tied to modern big-ag (read petroleum based) farming practices.

I agree 100% with Zuleikaa. Deano, that's a fantasy world. If the prices went higher than people could afford, those energy producers would be out of business as would everyone involved in technology. No, the market will keep things in check and technology will advance.
  #142   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
I agree 100% with Zuleikaa. Deano, that's a fantasy world. If the prices went higher than people could afford, those energy producers would be out of business as would everyone involved in technology. No, the market will keep things in check and technology will advance.

I agree 100 percent with Deeno. Zuleikaa, that's a a fantasy world. When the prices go higher than people can afford, those energy producers will be out of business as will everyone involved in technology. No, the market is not equiped to keep things in check and technology will come to a grinding halt.

And that ain't the half of it. Put your dancing shoes on, folks.
  #143   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 14:51
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
I agree 100 percent with Deeno. Zuleikaa, that's a a fantasy world. When the prices go higher than people can afford, those energy producers will be out of business as will everyone involved in technology. No, the market is not equiped to keep things in check and technology will come to a grinding halt.

And that ain't the half of it. Put your dancing shoes on, folks.
No they'll mass produce alternative fuels (which was also and always been available since the '60s just suppressed and frozen out), jack that price up and keep on keeping on.
  #144   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 15:09
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
No they'll mass produce alternative fuels (which was also and always been available since the '60s just suppressed and frozen out), jack that price up and keep on keeping on.

Any suggestions on what those alternative fuels might be?

Last edited by TheCaveman : Thu, Feb-23-06 at 15:30.
  #145   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 16:58
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Sun, wind, and water for electricity generation. For biofuels, corn, sugar, and soy bean fuel for starters. There are a few countries already using biofuels, India, Brazil, China, and Australia. Even the US uses some. Too, there are some generators running on dung.

There are still untapped oil reserves and the development of biofuels will replace a lot of motor fuel while conserving oil for the petrolium based plastics and electronics that we covet and must have.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Feb-23-06 at 17:06.
  #146   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 17:07
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I think it won't happen in our next few lifetimes and probably never. People want modern life and technology will advance to ensure it. No they'll mass produce alternative fuels (which was also and always been available since the '60s just suppressed and frozen out), jack that price up and keep on keeping on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
If the prices went higher than people could afford, those energy producers would be out of business as would everyone involved in technology. No, the market will keep things in check and technology will advance.
Oh… how I wish the natural world worked this way! We will "never" run out of resources… and if "people (simply) want modern life (then) technology will advance to ensure it." They'll just "mass produce alternative fuels (available since the 60s!)" Wow! Talk about a "fantasy world"! I would LOVE to live in such a "fantasy world"… please, oh please tell me how to get to this "fantasy world"! What rabbit hole do I need to go down? Somewhere where "the market will keep things in check and technology will advance"…

First of all, if there were such alternative fuels, I think someone would know about them, and they would be talking about them… I haven't even heard of their (possible) existence yet. Until now. Please let me know where I can read more about these things? And don't tell me about hydrogen or using ethanol. Ethanol (and all other bio-fuels) are net energy losers… they require more energy to grow and process than they produce in the end, and the energy "inputs" required to do this are none other than oil and natural gas, the same fuels they are trying to replace. The electricity which produces hydrogen has to come from somewhere. To fill all the cars in the US would require four times the current capacity of the national grid! And where is this electricity going to come from? Coal burning is filthy, nuclear energy is expensive and lethal. I hope you guys are connected to some aliens that are going to come to our rescue… cuz barring that, I think we better start re-organizing our way of life, instead of watching it all go to a fiery hell! JMHO.

.....perhaps you guys should google "peak oil" and do some reading.....

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Thu, Feb-23-06 at 18:33.
  #147   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:04

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think that much more than energy crises, we should worry about water shortages. Even though most modern societies depend on energy, people can and do live without it. No on can live without water.

The water situation is beginning to look grim. Just a brief search on global water shortage comes up with tons of stuff:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...ater-usat_x.htm
http://ag.arizona.edu/AZWATER/awr/dec99/Feature2.htm
http://whyfiles.org/131fresh_water/
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P102152.asp
http://www.worldhungeryear.org/why_...&style=ws_table
http://www.actionbioscience.org/environment/kassas.html
http://www.cela.ca/faq/cltn_detail.shtml?x=1508

Besides just plain old using up water faster than it's being replaced, there are climate changes helping the problem along. One of these is a widespread desertification:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/deserts/desertification/
http://www.unccd.int/

Last summer I spend 5 weeks in Montana at a geology field camp, working with some very very smart professors who work in geological sciences. From the work they do, they all seem to think that water shortage will be a huge issue, and one that not many people right now are aware of.
  #148   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:36
Registered Member

Well... water shortages should really be no concern... we can always drink coca-cola! We will never run out of that!

It's so nice down here in this rabbit hole!
  #149   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 18:52
Registered Member

Actually... and this is REALLY SAD... but, with the way things are going, I don't think there will be all these people left in fifty years to need all this water (that won't be there). See what happens when you wanna "settle down"... (like we all did 10,000 years ago). It has been said, that was "the worst mistake we ever made".
  #150   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: wild
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 64"
BF:
Progress:

Eating is our primary relationship.

No matter what else we are doing, who else or what else we are having relationship with, eating...food....the earth...is our primary relationship.

Technology will not save us. Technology harms us. Technology is NOT neutral.

Civilization and agriculture lead to domestication, sedentism (sedentary), surplus, storage, private ownership, hierarchy, commodifying land and lives, governments, patriarchy and worst of all it enslaves us, our essence is caged. We must rewild ourselves.

Civilization is a leviathan that traps us into the population conundrum....everything is on the wrong scale because nothing we can choose right now will support the current level of population, NOTHING.