Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 19:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Net carbs and Atkins bars

I'm very skeptical about net carbs. I keep reading that Atkins bars make people's weight loss stall. If that's true, then does it have something to do with net carbs? Are they legit? I have a couple of different kinds of Atkins bars here and they are so helpful for my sweet tooth, but are they a con? I don't know whether I should be eating them or not. I'm 10 days into induction and have only lost 1 pound. I have only been eating 1 bar a day.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 03:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You should be skeptical, they are a con.
Read this and the link to more details. https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#3

A good way to lose weight is to use a 20g TOTAL carbs plan, then later try net carbs but ONLY for real food, that is, vegetables. Try to conquer the "sweet tooth" rather than continue to feed it junk food and artificial sweeteners.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 07:19

BF:

Wow, thank you for the link! This is going to be tougher than I thought
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 09:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
Wow, thank you for the link! This is going to be tougher than I thought
Honestly, it really is tough! But then for me, it was really tough being morbidly obese most of my life. Atkins changed my life forever!

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 09:27
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

BTW: I totally agree with Janet (and usually do) stick with real foods, none of that processed stuff and you'll do great!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 10:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Yes, those bars of full of lies

If you want the convenience of a bar for traveling, keeping in your desk, etc.....you might try epic bars. They are basically jerky in bar form so they aren't like a protein candy bar, but they are very handy.

In general, eating whole foods is more satisfying but sometimes it is great to have something that you can toss in your bag.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 18:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
Yes, those bars of full of lies

If you want the convenience of a bar for traveling, keeping in your desk, etc.....you might try epic bars. They are basically jerky in bar form so they aren't like a protein candy bar, but they are very handy.

In general, eating whole foods is more satisfying but sometimes it is great to have something that you can toss in your bag.

I 2nd the Epic bars - they're really good.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-17, 18:11

BF:

I will have to try the Epic bars, thank you!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-14-18, 07:01

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 186/173/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Candy Bars/shakes

I'm a 60 yr. old female. I started my diet on Atkins 20 on 01/19/2018.
My weight was 186lbs. Today 02/14/2018 my weight is 173lbs. On day 10 I lost 10 lbs. After the 14th day which ends induction for some, weight lost slows down and you then lose maybe 1-2 lbs a week.

For breakfast I drink an atkins shake. I nibble with small snacks during the day, i.e. celery sticks w cream cheese, or a piece of cheese, or a pickle. After about the fifth day my appetite slows down and I have to force myself to eat. When I really get hungry I have A REAL meal like salmon w salad, pork w green peas, etc. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, I eat whatever I want. Once at 10:00 in the morning I fixed grilled shrimp with cabbage. I count all carbs to make sure I don't go over 20 carbs each day.

As far as the discussion on the forum re: candy. Whow, I buy the atkins candy bars and freeze them. They are so good........... At night while watching tv I'll treat myself to candy with a slice of cheese. I pay little attention to the candy bar rumors. I have at least 2 each day.

I think that the reason some are stalling is because the carbs are not being measured properly in the veggies. 1 cup of green beens = around 8 carbs.

I hope this info is helpful
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-18, 08:59

Stats: 268/247.4/202 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

I have one per day, usually, but those are the ONLY carbs i eat each day. I'm down 20 lbs in about 3 weeks.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-18, 21:33
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Some diabetics have found the bars raise their blood sugar, I count them as half the real total carbs. I can't buy the boxes I'll eat the whole thing in 2-3 days. Mostly, if I want a treat I love blueberries nuked with cream cheese. Or 2 tbsp peanut warmed, then add butter.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-18, 06:44

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomess
I keep reading that Atkins bars make people's weight loss stall. If that's true....

Unfortunately you don't know if that true or not. People like to put meaning where none exists and without a wider amount of data than "it worked for me" you really can't tell if it's true. What IS true is that some people THINK Atkins bars make them stall and that's good enough for them. We don't need the additional stress of eating them or not on top of the baseline stress of trying to lose weight.

For me, they make no difference whatsoever. None. In fact, I lost the greatest amount of weight when I was eating them. Yes that's right. When I was comfortably losing weight, I felt comfortable eating Atkins bars and it made no difference.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 03:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the past, Dr Westman has mentioned based on the results of his many patients, the bars tended to stall weight loss, while the shakes usually did not and were OK as a snack. The difference was likely those "no carb" fibers used..some people would absorb them, so he advised counting the bar total carbs.
However quite recently Atkins claims the bars have a new formula, it appears they are now made with tapioca starches. The bars still contain two versions of soy ingredients so I will never buy them, but as with any food, try it yourself for a few weeks, and if you stop losing weight, then the bars do not work for you.
Also on website, noticed that the shakes now have More Protein and Fiber. So in that case, a useful product may have been made even better. The candies ignite sugar cravings no matter what the formula, best to avoid.
On another thread, noted that the newest Atkins book is all about Real Food. And it appears the ANA company has taken steps to make their products more "natural" as well. The Quest Bars and a wallfull of other protein bars were surely reducing sales, so the Atkins response to the Paleo/real food movement have improved their products.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 12:06

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

TG for competition.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-18, 14:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The atkins bars just make me want MORE. Cant eat just one--so I dont buy them. And cause me GI distress.

Many options for other Aquick snacks on the go.

I keep sweets for at home only as my LC sweets dont travel well.